Stihl 362 (can I rebuild) ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tree Raptor

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a Stihl 362, prolly 6 years old in nice shape. Started to start hard but when it started ran decent. Last time would not start so took it to Stihl shop. Was advised that it has low compression but otherwise looked in great shape. Not sure why as I ALWAYS run synthetic oil (45/1) little rich and non-alcohol gas. So not sure where the low compression came from.

Question: is is worth rebuilding with Stihl Jug & piston or sell for parts ? I am a decent wrench but have never taken apart a saw to that degree so not sure if I wish to attempt. How hard is it to rebuild ? Anyone interested in buying it ?

More than likely it would not need a new cylinder. If aluminum has transferred to the cylinder walls it could be removed and just the piston replaced. That said, something caused it to run hot, so the reason for that has to be ascertained or you'll be right back into another teardown in short order. If you decide to fix it we will help, if you decide to sell it check your inbox;).

More than likely it would not need a new cylinder. If aluminum has transferred to the cylinder walls it could be removed and just the piston replaced. That said, something caused it to run hot, so the reason for that has to be ascertained or you'll be right back into another teardown in short order. If you decide to fix it we will help, if you decide to sell it check your inbox;).
Could up grade to a 372 piston-cylinder? Definitely worth a rebuild.:)

Could up grade to a 372 piston-cylinder? Definitely worth a rebuild.:)
I take it those are stihl parts ? if so how much are they ? You already stated might not need a cylinder, is there a way I/we can dertermine this
before any other action is taken ? View through the muffler port ?

I take it those are stihl parts ? if so how much are they ? You already stated might not need a cylinder, is there a way I/we can dertermine this
before any other action is taken ? View through the muffler port ?
Oops, no, missed the Stihl part of the thread! I was thinking Hooski.:(

I’m a Stihl guy, mostly! I was working on a 350 Husky yesterday though. Just looked up the OEM STIHL 362, $240 on evilbay, ouch.:eek:
Woah. I've just been working on 1125s, parts aren't too bad for that series. Hopefully OP posts a piston pic soon and we can tell him it only needs a piston.

Back