Stihl 362C?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason280

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Local seller has a Stihl 362C for sale, with a 20" bar. Saw looks to be in pretty good condition, with normal wear. Exhaust side of the piston looks good, but I have not been able to check compression as I don't have an adapter to use on the smaller plug holes (saw cranks easily, though).

I am not familiar with these newer "electronic" style carbs, how do they compare with the older styles? Are they that more difficult to service? What would be a good price for one with good shape (assuming compression is good)? Only issue I've noticed, the cut off switch isn't working...had to choke it to kill the engine. I assume a wire may be out of place, I'll have to dig in a little more.

I already have a couple other 60cc saws, a Husqvarna 268 and 266XP....any reason to get rid of one of those for the 362C?

20200328_193918_jpg-1339023.JPG

20200328_193948_jpg-1339022.JPG

20200328_193948_jpg-1339021.JPG

20200328_195422_jpg-1339020.JPG

20200328_195810_jpg-1339019.JPG

Interesting. Is it that the Husqvarnas are that much better, or is the 362 simply not a real popular saw?

Agreed, a 362 is a current saw that is easy to replace, it a more complicated bit of machinery that is more prone to needing parts replaced on them, higher maintenance than the older simpler carb saws. I run a 362, its smoother with its spring AV system but lacks somewhat in the power dept, it can be ported of course but that`s extra cost.

the 362 is a really nice saw. I have a non-moronic model. I also have a 262xp (the early model with the ks cylinder and big carb, for whatever that’s worth). I also have an Echo 590.

those are all 60cc saws. The Stihl is the smoothest by far and the nicest to run, overall. It seems to be more powerful too. Keep in mind mine is the non-moronic model. I think it’s definitely a little more torquey than the newer ones - nicer midrange and pulls harder when loaded up, idk..

But it’s an overly complicated, fat kindofathing. Not heavy, just fat. It‘s a great saw to run all day because it’s so smoooth. My others, not so much.

strangely, I use the 362 the least even though I love it when I run it. I run the Echo the most, I guess cause it’s decent and cheap. I run the 262 when I want to have a slightly more “raw” experience.

Weird, eh?, this chainsaw affliction...

Any guesses on what the issue is with the kill switch not working?
Wire plugged in to the coil, wire run to the steel spring at switch position, metal barrel end of the grounding wire located properly into the master control switch, that wire grounded properly and metal to metal contact of that grounding wire when in the off position will make the engine shut down.

[QUOTE="I already have a couple other 60cc saws, a Husqvarna 268 and 266XP....any reason to get rid of one of those for the 362C?

no.
[/QUOTE]
I didn’t like the new one I had, unless it’s going right and selling cheap I wouldn’t buy it,
the saws you have are not MT, easier to work on, and better built.

IMHO the ms362c-m is awesome.
And I know of many happy 362 owners, it’s light and powerful,
but mine would bearly start from new, I sold it after 4 days,
why, because I couldn’t fix it, I would have been charged to put it
on a computer, it would have been out of commission for who knows
how long, I was not going down that path.

I've got the carb model of this saw....It's a nice little saw. My brother-in-law has his eyes on it (and I'm going to sell it to him). As far a prices, I see the M-tronics posted for 550.00 on FB marketplace/ebay but I don't think anyone is actually getting that. My guess is 400-475.00 in VGC.

Best,

~TW

Interesting. Is it that the Husqvarnas are that much better, or is the 362 simply not a real popular saw?
Off hand, the 362 is really good in the weight department, I used one for 4 days
from new, and weight was not a problem, mine was more than difficult to start, so I sold it.
The one in the images there looks fine, if it runs right and is at good money it could be
a worthwhile buy.
But I would hang on to the older saws you already have, (OP).

On the Huskys you have would probably compare more to an 036 Stihl..... A good thread as I read every word and usually that is not the case. We are a throw away society and the new saws fit that category as the older one as long as you can get parts can be economically maintained.

Back