Stihl .404 chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the tree guy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
What kind of price are you guys paying for Stihl 46rs chain in 100 foot rolls?Local dealer has 5 100' rolls that he is trying to clean out of his inventory and I want to have an idea how much is a fair price.I really don't need a full roll of .404 chain but if the price is good I will have enough for life maybe.Thanks for your help.:D Dan

Dealer cost is @ $200 or so, he is selling because it has been sitting on the shelf for a while. Offer him $75 a roll and see
what happens, maybe $50. He will not sell it otherwise unless
he puts it on the internet, no one probably uses a chain like that
in Indiana.
Fish

THANKS Fish and Darin!I'm the only guy he sells .404 chain to,your rigth Fish no one else uses it.I have 4 long bars for my 088 and try to keep 2 to 3 chains per bar,so I don't think I'd use a rollup too fast.He did also have a roll of oregon 52 aj, any opinions on that chain.I've got to go back today to pick up the spare parts I ordered and he said he would have a priceper box for me.If you see rolls of .404 chain on ebay or here from Indiana, it was a good price.Thanks for your time,:D Dan

Howdy Tree guy,

The 52AJ is chiselbit (square filed) in full skip sequence. It is intended for use on bars 30 inch and longer in large diameter soft wood. It is a westcoast chain, with very few people able to file it correctly. It can be converted to round filed just by putting the round file angles on the filing and using a std. 7/32" file.

This .404 is equal pitch, and pulls easier than other .404 chains.

Regards,
Walt Galer

Thanks Walt,I'm a good hand filer,but not in the same league as many of the people that are at this site.So do you think it would be better to get a roll Stihl 46RS?I seem to be able to keep a good edge on the stihl chain that I have in .404 withoutmuch trouble.Once again thank you Walt for sharing your knowledge.:D Dan

Alright this is a stupid question but I have to ask it anyways.

Whats the difference between .404 and the 3/8's .050 chain i run on my saw. I have a 36" .050 bar should i be running .404 chain on it?

.404 is a longer pitch chain and usually .063" wide. You'll need a different sprocket and bar to use it.

I run 3/8 on my biggest saw--never felt the need for .404.

Howdy Treeguy,

Yep, I'd go with the Stihl if you want it for your own use. However, you might be able to turn a buck on the 52AJ if you could get it cheap. Bailey's Calif. office might give you a decent price for it, as it is going out of print, and is the prefered chain in their territory. (Redwoods). Cheap would be to get the roll for $75 or so and sell it for twice that. It should be about useless in your area.

Regards,
Walt Galer

Confused ,
Your fine with the 3/8 .050 chain. If I can make a sugestion. When your ready for a new bar & chain switch to the 3/8 .063 chain.

Rule of thunb,, west coast they run .063 east coast we run .050.
I never have undestood what makes .063 better than .050.
Can one of you west coast guys tell me ????

less breakage. Im sure not to many east coasters have did to many palms. Very hard on the chain. we had quite a few problems with the .050 gauge breaking. Switch to the .063 end of problems. never went back.

Palms? Was the drive link breaking? The tiestrap? What
diameter tree? Hardwood or soft? What length bar?
Hardnose or rollertip? Is palm[?] that tough of wood?
I am not trying to fight, just curious.
Fish

Latest posts

Back