Stihl 440 hop up.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got the rakers bumped way down too and ready to eat so I can set the rings!
2CF3B0B0-3535-4D3C-A706-D0717FC8F9B2.jpeg
2CF3B0B0-3535-4D3C-A706-D0717FC8F9B2.jpeg

Might consider getting your tooth grind in deeper to the gullet and back a little under the cutting edge. I've never cut on mesquite, but I bet your cutters would do much better if filed with a little angle instead of straight up and down.

Screen Shot 2018-12-19 at 8.34.53 AM.png

Might consider getting your tooth grind in deeper to the gullet and back a little under the cutting edge. I've never cut on mesquite, but I bet your cutters would do much better if filed with a little angle instead of straight up and down.
I need to get a new wheel really bad. Mine is very worn. I think it’s making the angles kinda funny since it’s odd shaped now. But it does cut pretty dang good. I’m getting 3/4 cord without dulling them bad. I’d be hard pressed to get a full cord from a new chain without damaging the edge.

I need to learn to hand file kinda sounds like, but I really don’t have time in the field to do that. I just carry 2 saws and 6 chains or more. I’ll work the chains over one evening after the kids go to bed and be ready to roll next weekend. But a 25’ roll and replace the worst of them every now and then. I try to keep some that are really good mixed in with the half dead ones.

All my cutting is in pacific northwest softwood, I can get a very aggressive cutter and hold it as long as it doesn't get in the dirt. Not ever having cut on mesquite I hesitated to comment. Still, I think you should take that chain and a 3/16 round file and get the gullet in under the cutters a bit so you get a little angle to the edge. They will be a lot sharper and should pull easier as they slice through the wood.

I pretty much went all square ground chain for falling, and round for firewood bucking on the ground. Mesquite seems like you could use big bolt cutters and save on chains :^) I touch my chains up often in use. My bet I'd cry like a little girl if I had to use my chains on true hardwoods.

I need to get a new wheel really bad. Mine is very worn. I think it’s making the angles kinda funny since it’s odd shaped now. But it does cut pretty dang good. I’m getting 3/4 cord without dulling them bad. I’d be hard pressed to get a full cord from a new chain without damaging the edge.

I need to learn to hand file kinda sounds like, but I really don’t have time in the field to do that. I just carry 2 saws and 6 chains or more. I’ll work the chains over one evening after the kids go to bed and be ready to roll next weekend. But a 25’ roll and replace the worst of them every now and then. I try to keep some that are really good mixed in with the half dead ones.
STIHL 2 in 1 is a great tool for the $$$ !

Boy that is some nice graphics how did she do that? Looks very professional great work !
My wife does graphic design. She used to do it a bunch before kids, now just enough to keep the equipment. I text her a pic of a nice 036 and told her to copy the font. And wrote out what I wanted it to say where.

She needs to start making replacement decals for stuff. Riding Tractors, Chainsaws, Off road bikes or 4-wheelers ect. I had a fella make me decals for my Partner I own it took many many weeks and cost a small fortune. I bet she would be great at it.

She needs to start making replacement decals for stuff. Riding Tractors, Chainsaws, Off road bikes or 4-wheelers ect. I had a fella make me decals for my Partner I own it took many many weeks and cost a small fortune. I bet she would be great at it.
She does a good job. She had some trouble with copywright stuff that pretty well shut her online business down. John Deere is ruthless if you so much as hand draw a green tractor they want you shut down. I should have hired a lawyer. She had a business getting close to making full time job money and they beat her down to where she just takes orders and isn’t putting all her designs out for purchase for fear of who she makes mad next. She’s good enough she has trouble getting her screens printed for shirts because the screen printer is scared they are stolen graphics sometimes.

I have no doubt. Well tell her I love her deeply and want to have her babies.....
Pm me if you need anything she can make whatever by request. I think she charges like $25 on Etsy for something like what’s on my chainsaw that she has to design. She has lots of colors and can do overlays and stuff.

Well we went on the maiden voyage this afternoon. I picked a 20” dead mesquite I’d been saving for a bbq joint I cut for since it was what I call perfect bbq wood.

I thought I had it tuned by ear, but with the exhaust I’m kinda off. I put it in wood and bogged so I backed out the mixture screw1/4 turn until I found the best performance. It’s around 2 1/4 turns out. That seems extremely rich. I was initially disappointed. But after 3/4 tank it really came alive. I drank a tank of gas in less than 10 min though. I think I only cut 1/2 Cord with it. (Short wood, so a cord worth of cuts for you 4’ Guys) that’s half what I usually get.
Now I did crank this thing a bunch of times and spend some time tuning and cutting a few limbs off a dead pecan tree. Maybe it wasn’t quite full but it did burn the gas.

Tree was Rock hard dead, but it pulled through it really nice. I took a video I’ll put it on YouTube. But it was before the thing came Alive. It’s not real impressive compared to the guys cutting cookies in softer woods. But I’d sure like to see it against a 461 and see where I’m at.
If I get any more out of it after another tank it will be truly impressive. Am I right in thinking max power is where the mixture should be?

Max power but not max RPM`s is the sweet spot you are looking for. Listen for a clear smooth two stroke power in the cut and then lift the bar reducing the load on the engine, it should change the sound of the exhaust to a sort of tripping sound, often called fourstroking where it sounds as if the engine is only firing every other stroke.

View attachment 691169
I checked the angle on my sharpener and it’s on 40*. I know it should be 50, I honestly have just ran it like the guy I bought it from 15 years ago had it set.
FCA350F3-B2FE-4FC9-B29B-3CCF1098AA86.jpeg

Back