Stihl 440 hop up.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1/2 cord in 10 minutes?:eek: :thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpictures:[/QUOT
1/2 cord in 10 minutes?:eek: :thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpictures:
oh yea I can cut, split by hand, and stack a cord on the trailer in about an hour and 30 minutes sometimes less if it’s all really nice trees that I want to cut without any junk I have to cut. Assuming it’s my first of the day, and I can get the trailer close (20ft or less). We sell a cord as a 4’ tall by 16’ long stack 2’ or less long. Most my people want 18” long wood.

That’s why I run what everyone else cutting firewood says is way too big of a saw.

Here’s a short video I sent a friend. I need tomorrow to put a RS chain on after I grind it on 50* and a sprocket tip bar. The hardnose eats quite a bit of power seems like.

I changed the angle to 50 this morning and sharpened up the chain from yesterday and a stihl RS chain. It seemed to also change the angle on the cutter also for some reason. I had to cut them quite a bit to get the whole tooth strap. I hate doing that so I’ll probably run all my sharp chains about 1/2 dull so I can take it in 2 steps and not have to be so careful not to heat the cutters. Maybe after my real job I’ll do another video. How many tanks of gas running this sucker hard will it take to reach full power on just the new rings and scotch brited cylinder? I’ve heard 10, but that seems like a whole bunch for just a top end refresh.
DB8661D1-F765-43F7-A78E-E584DF6D9573.jpeg
2445A3BA-4527-4B97-8815-1099E54DC570.jpeg

I changed the angle to 50 this morning and sharpened up the chain from yesterday and a stihl RS chain. It seemed to also change the angle on the cutter also for some reason. I had to cut them quite a bit to get the whole tooth strap. I hate doing that so I’ll probably run all my sharp chains about 1/2 dull so I can take it in 2 steps and not have to be so careful not to heat the cutters. Maybe after my real job I’ll do another video. How many tanks of gas running this sucker hard will it take to reach full power on just the new rings and scotch brited cylinder? I’ve heard 10, but that seems like a whole bunch for just a top end refresh.
View attachment 691685
View attachment 691686
That chain needs about 3 strokes with a good file, yer grinder ain’t doin you no favors.:cool:

That chain needs about 3 strokes with a good file, yer grinder ain’t doin you no favors.:cool:
What size file do I need to hit it with? I have some somewhere, but never learned to use them.
This one was in the junk drawer it says Oregon 5/32. I have a pile of them somewhere from an estate sale.
83B353A3-761F-4F60-89D4-DD00D2AB794D.jpeg

1/2 cord in 10 minutes?:eek: :thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpictures:
Here’s your pics grizz. I split it today and the wife loaded while I cut more. It’s actually nearly 1.5 face cords. What sells here as 3/4 cord. 10 minutes was the time stamp on texts I sent a friend of the new saw running.
BA898627-5728-4868-A3C8-E6E75005D835.jpeg
6BF0FB6B-56F8-4393-8A30-039A0429ED15.jpeg

So I’m at 6 tanks of fuel now through this thing since I’ve been mostly laying low for the holidays and rotate 2 saws. I had it and the stock 440 I have tuned by an old timer at a shop in Abilene that’s really good. Anyways I ran them side by side today back to back both with stihl RS chain. There’s no comparison between them. It seems like the saw with raised compression and muffler mods cuts 20% faster than stock saw. I’d say they are equal state of tune. Both chains sharp. Maybe I’ll get caught up and have time to time them with same bar and chain. I just can’t belive there is so much difference. I even cut almost 1.25 cords on a tank of gas with it and the chain was cutting good still. It’s rained a lot so wood is kinda wet, but that’s really good for me. I’m not sure if my sharpening has improved a lot or it’s a combo of both. Makes me itch to tear the stock saw down and have it ported too! I think I’m becoming a monster. I’ve ran saws for 17 years now and ever had anything but a stock one until now. I’m wonder what was wrong with me to run em stock. I’m not a leave stuff alone type of guy, but I guess I was always so impressed with how they run that I didn’t care to change things.

So I’m at 6 tanks of fuel now through this thing since I’ve been mostly laying low for the holidays and rotate 2 saws. I had it and the stock 440 I have tuned by an old timer at a shop in Abilene that’s really good. Anyways I ran them side by side today back to back both with stihl RS chain. There’s no comparison between them. It seems like the saw with raised compression and muffler mods cuts 20% faster than stock saw. I’d say they are equal state of tune. Both chains sharp. Maybe I’ll get caught up and have time to time them with same bar and chain. I just can’t belive there is so much difference. I even cut almost 1.25 cords on a tank of gas with it and the chain was cutting good still. It’s rained a lot so wood is kinda wet, but that’s really good for me. I’m not sure if my sharpening has improved a lot or it’s a combo of both. Makes me itch to tear the stock saw down and have it ported too! I think I’m becoming a monster. I’ve ran saws for 17 years now and ever had anything but a stock one until now. I’m wonder what was wrong with me to run em stock. I’m not a leave stuff alone type of guy, but I guess I was always so impressed with how they run that I didn’t care to change things.

Unfortunate for you, officially to have caught the disease of running ported saws, there is no turning back now, sorry !......:)

Back