Stihl 63pmx

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm happy with woodland pro chain. It's pretty reasonable.

Stihl is high dollar stuff. I'm sure its $400-550 a roll. I my opinion its not worth the extra cost, but I've never ran it.

Is there something special about it?

I buy Stihl 63PM ( paid $299 for last 100' in 2007) --(I use it as is w/ the 30° top plate grind and each time I resharpen I cut back 5° until I get to the 10°). Logosol chain is 63PMX, the "X" meaning it has been filed to 10° already but it is only available from Logosol and they get it from overseas. Prior to getting the Woodmizer LT40 I milled all my boards on a Logosol with a 066 and 16" bar. Making my own chains this way I had the cost doen to about $11.50/loop compared to $27 at Logosol. IMHO this is the very best chain for milling. I have used Oregon and Baileys and the Stihl is far better.

newreply.php

The highly scientific explanation is "I like it better". I do not have all the tests and detail that you do--I was thinking this morning that I sure wish you could come down here and we could mill together and share knowledges w/o my having to type--I hate typiong (yes thast is why) It is slow and many mistakws have to be corrected. Anyway, The Bailey lo-pro was real bad about making a very rough cut with that harmonic vibration stuff that was discussed hear a couple of years ago. The Oregon is fair but does not seem to hold an edge as well and stretches more. That is about as scientific as I can get.
It is called Picco by Stihl

I'm not sure if it's true for picco but this may be why the stihl chain didn't stretch as much.

40829d1164928831-img_0271-jpg

When I first started on here I learned a very cool thing about gauge that I did not realize and will now pass it on to others as I do not see it mentioned.

.050, .058 and .063 all have the same kurf in the wood because the drivers are all .063 in the chassy of the chain and only thinned down under the chassy.

There is one exception to this rule. Carlton .050 is a true .050 all the way up through the chassy and thus the kurf is .013 thinner than the other .050 chains made by Stihl and Oregon.

I got this from this thread.
http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/39817.htm

OK, so here is the scoop on difference: The 63PMX is a ripping chain, Low Profile (PICCO), but RATED at up to 100cc/ 36" bar, where standard LP ripping chain is only recommended up to about 41cc/ 18" bar. However the Woodland Pro 30RP Ripping chain is probably more comparable, as rated up to 100cc/ 36' bar and ONLY HAS a 1/4" KERF, and ~half the price of the 63PMX. The 63PM (25-35 degree picco) chain is ONLY recommended Up to 40cc/ 18" (from what I read). STIHL also advertises that they "pre-stretch" their chain.

OK, so here is the scoop on difference: The 63PMX is a ripping chain, Low Profile (PICCO), but RATED at up to 100cc/ 36" bar, where standard LP ripping chain is only recommended up to about 41cc/ 18" bar. However the Woodland Pro 30RP Ripping chain is probably more comparable, as rated up to 100cc/ 36' bar and ONLY HAS a 1/4" KERF, and ~half the price of the 63PMX. The 63PM (25-35 degree picco) chain is ONLY recommended Up to 40cc/ 18" (from what I read). STIHL also advertises that they "pre-stretch" their chain.

I wonder if the powerhead ratings is a lawyer thing? I don't see stihl producing a super specialized product from scratch. A run of just a special grind is even surprising but not as much as higher strength steels to make the side plates and rivets in the same dimensions. In milling in the cut a broken chain is nearly as serious as in cross cutting. Also cross cutting has much more possibility for more damage from cutting dirt or shock loading from catching the tip on other trees and such.

its just as hard to get it this side of the pond, even the stihl dealers dont stock it, some havent even heard of it. Seems logosol have the distrubution tied up, but it is the best ripping chain I have used (even change its angle to anything from 2-10 degrees depending on the type of timber I'm milling)

I use it on a 441, 25" Stihl bar. The PMX is a lo pro chain and it rides a little high on the nose of the roller, but I called baileys and they said it was fine....I have had no problems with lots of milling.... cuts very smooth surface, and low vibration as long as you keep teeth the same length religiously.

J

Howdy,
Finally got a line on the 63PMX. It's still expensive but, better priced than the competition. We're starting off a .50 a drive link, and 549.00 on the 100' reel. Should be on the website soon. I'll get back on here and post some links when they're ready. I expect to start moving some of this chain in the near future, so hopefully eventually we'll be able to drive the price down. Also in the near future we'll be coming out with narrow kerf single ended bars up to 48" that have Lo Pro tips. Another nice product we'll have available is a large spline Lo Pro rim.
Regards
Gregg

I'm happy with woodland pro chain. It's pretty reasonable.

Stihl is high dollar stuff. I'm sure its $400-550 a roll. I my opinion its not worth the extra cost, but I've never ran it.

Is there something special about it?
Less stretch for user; it's pre stretched. Oregon chain in saw in my avatar droops after first use off reel. Most other chain is similar. Stihl also seemed to hold edge better when milling the log off the stump in photo, Prior cuts with Oregon. My $.02 your milage may vary

Howdy,
Finally got a line on the 63PMX. It's still expensive but, better priced than the competition. We're starting off a .50 a drive link, and 549.00 on the 100' reel. Should be on the website soon. I'll get back on here and post some links when they're ready. I expect to start moving some of this chain in the near future, so hopefully eventually we'll be able to drive the price down. Also in the near future we'll be coming out with narrow kerf single ended bars up to 48" that have Lo Pro tips. Another nice product we'll have available is a large spline Lo Pro rim.
Regards
Gregg

That is reel good news Greg

Your current PMX prices are about double what they cost when I brought my Logosol mill.

Any ideas why the PM/PS is so much cheaper than PMX?

Could you guys regrind the PM or PS stihl chains to 10 degrees for a reasonable price?

One more question, why did Carlton discontinue the woodland 30RP? I know others here had good luck with that.

Back