Stihl 63pmx

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is reel good news Greg

Your current PMX prices are about double what they cost when I brought my Logosol mill.

Any ideas why the PM/PS is so much cheaper than PMX?

Could you guys regrind the PM or PS stihl chains to 10 degrees for a reasonable price?

One more question, why did Carlton discontinue the woodland 30RP? I know others here had good luck with that.
30RP is still available, just put it in the search box on the website

Howdy,
From baileys it was 30LR. Carlton called it N1C10-RP. I'm pretty sure it got the axe not long after Blount bought Carlton. I see some loops on ebay but, it looks like they think pretty highly of them. On the grinding conversion of the chain, besides the labor you would have a 15% - 20% loss of tooth. At one point in time the PMX was available in CN, so it was easier to access. One of the bigger reasons for the price is getting it from Europe to here.
Regards
Gregg

Howdy,
From baileys it was 30LR. Carlton called it N1C10-RP. I'm pretty sure it got the axe not long after Blount bought Carlton. I see some loops on ebay but, it looks like they think pretty highly of them. On the grinding conversion of the chain, besides the labor you would have a 15% - 20% loss of tooth. At one point in time the PMX was available in CN, so it was easier to access. One of the bigger reasons for the price is getting it from Europe to here.
Regards
Gregg
I do recall the 30LR from their older catalogs, and do not see it today, LOL

Howdy,
Finally got a line on the 63PMX. It's still expensive but, better priced than the competition. We're starting off a .50 a drive link, and 549.00 on the 100' reel. Should be on the website soon. I'll get back on here and post some links when they're ready. I expect to start moving some of this chain in the near future, so hopefully eventually we'll be able to drive the price down. Also in the near future we'll be coming out with narrow kerf single ended bars up to 48" that have Lo Pro tips. Another nice product we'll have available is a large spline Lo Pro rim.
Regards
Gregg

Hi gregg,

Any progress on the PMX chain, large spline picco rims, or 3003 mount picco bars?

Thanks,

MP

Howdy All,

Just got the invoice today and the order is coming LTL container. Should be about 3 - 4 weeks before we have the picco bars, tips, and rims. I've already have the PMX.

Regards
Gregg

Howdy All,

Just got the invoice today and the order is coming LTL container. Should be about 3 - 4 weeks before we have the picco bars, tips, and rims. I've already have the PMX.

Regards
Gregg

That's good news.

All I see on the website for chain is Oregon? Any pricing on the PMX?

What bars will the picco tips fit?

Any more updated info would be great!

Thanks in advance!

Howdy,
Now that I know the product is getting on the water, I'll get with our developer on the copy for the website. We'll be shooting photos when we get the product. We'll have bars from 20" to 42" with a 12mm bar stud slot. The bar stud slots are elongated compared to a standard 12mm slot. This was done so that if you run a Husky with the 9mm to 12mm adaptor, it wont limit your bar adjustment like other adaptors. The picco tips will only fit these bars. On the PMX we're at .050 per drive link, and $549.00 per 100'.

Regards
Gregg

OK, so here is the scoop on difference: The 63PMX is a ripping chain, Low Profile (PICCO), but RATED at up to 100cc/ 36" bar, where standard LP ripping chain is only recommended up to about 41cc/ 18" bar. However the Woodland Pro 30RP Ripping chain is probably more comparable, as rated up to 100cc/ 36' bar and ONLY HAS a 1/4" KERF, and ~half the price of the 63PMX. The 63PM (25-35 degree picco) chain is ONLY recommended Up to 40cc/ 18" (from what I read). STIHL also advertises that they "pre-stretch" their chain.

I know this is an old thread, but my Woodland Pro/Carlton ripping chain has closer to a 3/8" kerf with a full length cutter. I'm trying to find out if the 63 PMX would actually yield the 1/4" kerf I'm looking for with my Logosol.

Yes 1/4 " kerf, cuts smoother thana band mill
Thank you. My Carlton loops at 5 degrees definitely cut smoother than a band mill. Almost as smooth as a planed board, but I really want that 1/4" Kerf. Do you know if the Archer 3/8 "low profile" will yield a 1/4" kerf as well?

Thank you. My Carlton loops at 5 degrees definitely cut smoother than a band mill. Almost as smooth as a planed board, but I really want that 1/4" Kerf. Do you know if the Archer 3/8 "low profile" will yield a 1/4" kerf as well?
I avoid Chi-com products so can't say, I doubt it will last as long as Stihl chain

Company is Australian, factory is in red China
Good to know, I'll probably snag some of the Stihl loops in time. After removing the bar nose steering attachment from my saw carriage I magically have a 1/4" kerf with the Carlton chains...

What are you using to sharpen your chains? I'm using a Granberg Grind N' Joint that is working pretty well and doing a fairly good job of keeping the cutters even. I like that I can power it off my tractor, but I would like something more precise in the future.

Back