Stihl 660 magnum used market value

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buckd44

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Looking at buying a Stihl 660 magnum. Seller said it was recently rebuilt by a Stihl dealer, also has a new 20" bar, chain, air filter. He wants $450 for it. When asked why he is selling, said he just need the money. In my opinion the price seems pretty decent when those saws retailed for over 1k new. He didn't keep the paperwork for the rebuild. The saw is located 1.5 hrs away. My question is? Does it sound like a decent deal? What else shouldn't I look for when going over the saw. I currently have a ms311 which isn't getting the job done. Thanks in advance.

Welcome to AS. That's a great deal if it was rebuilt using OEM parts. In fact I'd be leery at that price, especially when you throw in a new B&C. $450 would be a fair price with an aftermarket top end... I wouldn't do the drive without detailed pictures of the saw. Post up some pictures if you have them.

Here are the pictures that are posted

Attachments

• IMG_0126.JPG
    IMG_0126.JPG
    112.2 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_0127.JPG
    IMG_0127.JPG
    118.3 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_0128.JPG
    IMG_0128.JPG
    126.8 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_0129.JPG
    IMG_0129.JPG
    104.1 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_0130.JPG
    IMG_0130.JPG
    79.9 KB · Views: 87
Welcome to AS. That's a great deal if it was rebuilt using OEM parts. In fact I'd be leery at that price, especially when you throw in a new B&C. $450 would be a fair price with an aftermarket top end... I wouldn't do the drive without detailed pictures of the saw. Post up some pictures if you have them.
Thank you for the welcoming me to the site.

Ask him if OEM parts were used and if so, start driving. If aftermarket parts were used, drive a little slower and try to get it for 400 quid.

Is there a storm coming your way? Start driving...

most saws on this site are way over valued in the real world. a lot bought and sold back and forth from various members. I have seen 372 's sell for 700 to 750 and I pd .nib 735 otd. 661 1100 to 1250 asking ,I priced one yesterday otd 1050 r model. i paid 835 for 461 with 20 inch bar in 2014 can get it for 925 now. and no i will not buy one and ship to someone. shipped a p/c to a man and wasn,t what he wanted i was out the shipping cost never offered to pay for shipping.

I asked him and he said everything is oem except for the piston which is a Stens. Makes sense considering there is Stihl bar and chain on it. It was a Stihl mechanic not a dealer.
I hear these 660s are solid.

sounds like a good deal, top end, pistons and cylinders even mahle/caber from bailey's or dealer are cheap compared to price of a new saw. Congrads and enjoy that new to you saw.

Update. Made the trip, saw fired up after 3 pulls (it was 10 degrees this morning) ran great, sounded great. He was firm on $450. I said, take my money.
He probably lost over half of what he spent saving the saw, especially if it was all OEM parts and rebuilt by a dealer. Most Stihl MS 660 saws will run 500 hours before needing a rebuild, unless they have been beat up. So, expect your saw to have lots of hours on it. Regardless, I think you have a good buy. Study up on the MS 660. It is a saw worth repairing and it will likely give you good service.

Ran mine for a couple of years like I stole it. Just sent it out with new p&c, bearings, crankshaft, impulse and intake for the famous huskihl extra sausage porting. Prolly gonna be buried with (or by) it. 🤪

Back