Stihl Aftermarket Parts Review

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some of the Stihl saws used plastic retainers in their bearings, I didn't care much for those and replaced them with metal ones.

There is a reason for plastic. It's a certain type that has thermal expansion properties that keep the bearings spaced properly. And if the cage comes apart it's softer than aluminum or steel.

This was learned from an old Lakeside53 post from about 2007? I had faith in what Andy told us, he knew more than most of us here, so go from there.......

HL supply has Tecomec 036 piston kits for $ 6.33. I bought 3. The last ones I got looked great. Has anyone used any of these?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tecomec used to be OEM quality and made in Italy. THeir website still says made in Italy but they are Chi-Com now.

This is from the former USA distributor which was Tilton. He said buy up NOS Italian Tecomec before it dries up.

Let us know how the Chinese Tecomec is now?

Tecomec used to be OEM quality and made in Italy. THeir website still says made in Italy but they are Chi-Com now.

This is from the former USA distributor which was Tilton. He said buy up NOS Italian Tecomec before it dries up.

Let us know how the Chinese Tecomec is now?

I will post up some pictures. I have ordered some of their newer pistons in the past and was happy.
Stihl 028 super
Stihl MS361
Stihl 036

I will post up some pictures. I have ordered some of their newer pistons in the past and was happy.
Stihl 028 super
Stihl MS361
Stihl 036

Please do. The USA distributor I actually talked with on the phone. He said Li'll Red Barn might still have some NOS Italian Tecomec.

I've used the Italian stuff and it is /was OEM quality. No work needed at all on cylinders, perfect chamfers on ports, clean non-porous castings, plating perfect, no fitmet issues.

Please do. The USA distributor I actually talked with on the phone. He said Li'll Red Barn might still have some NOS Italian Tecomec.

I've used the Italian stuff and it is /was OEM quality. No work needed at all on cylinders, perfect chamfers on ports, clean non-porous castings, plating perfect, no fitmet issues.

3bdff118128c41c13f512ee8a8c8cb31.jpg
bcd8378c886eab14385c2211f5a05500.jpg
c3063b1a41b1d10afaa8fc02013f50c8.jpg
bf2b0849a96552ad77abdc2451914ae1.jpg

image.jpg
Beware the AM ms660 mufflers with baffles. The top baffle plate on one of mine loosened up and fell off. It could have (in theory) gotten into the exhaust port and ruined the top end. I heard it rattling around while gasing up. Lasted 2 years, baffle wasn’t messed with other than 3/8” hole drilled well below the tack welds holding this piece in.

Currently I have an ms260 with a hutzle piston and rings. Have about 40 tanks through it and it's a strong runner.

Ordered a hutzle piston and cylinder for another 260 I'm building here and the piston looks good but the cylinder will need a lot of port work to make any power I recon. Exhaust port is way smaller then an OEM. Plating looks ok and the castings arent bad. The chamfers on both intake and exhaust ports are almost not there.

I'll post a thread once that one is together and I'll ring its neck cutting for a awhile before I give it thumbs up or down......

Updating-

Bad—I had an aftermarket 1127 impulse line fail in a ms290. Lasted three years of low use by a buddy... saw had other issues but noticed an idle and racing issue.
* Ethanol free gas used for all saws discussed here.

This caused me to go through all my saws that I was trying those lines on. I had two 064s with ‘em— both ran fine and the lines looked ok (probably 2015/16 builds). I’m still replacing them since I consider this experiment concluded; aftermarket fuel AND impulse lines are no good for long term use despite using proper fuel. Fuel lines were a previous conclusion and should be widely known at this point.

While into an 064 that gets low-moderate use bucking tree service logs (28” bar), I noticed three shot AVs. All were aftermarket. The main culprit (I think) was the two-holed tank buffer. That had the rubber shear and may have jeopardized the others. This is my SECOND failure on those style AVs so I am done with that experiment. Some AVs are ok, but may tear before oem.

Good- those 2013 white AM air filters with the foam gasket were legitimate. They seal well and last like oem. I regret not buying more.
The plastic tanks and cylinder covers are holding up well.
Echo-style tank vents are great
So far so good on all seals, but OEM is a safer bet.
Clutches for 1125/1128/1122 with oem springs are holding up well to firewood use.
Rims are ok if they’re round.
No failures with Meteor pistons...again, low-moderate use with some combo of felling, limbing, bucking, and noodling.
That damn 2012-2013 Hyway 036 kit is still alive lol.

Updating-

Bad—I had an aftermarket 1127 impulse line fail in a ms290. Lasted three years of low use by a buddy... saw had other issues but noticed an idle and racing issue.
* Ethanol free gas used for all saws discussed here.

This caused me to go through all my saws that I was trying those lines on. I had two 064s with ‘em— both ran fine and the lines looked ok (probably 2015/16 builds). I’m still replacing them since I consider this experiment concluded; aftermarket fuel AND impulse lines are no good for long term use despite using proper fuel. Fuel lines were a previous conclusion and should be widely known at this point.

While into an 064 that gets low-moderate use bucking tree service logs (28” bar), I noticed three shot AVs. All were aftermarket. The main culprit (I think) was the two-holed tank buffer. That had the rubber shear and may have jeopardized the others. This is my SECOND failure on those style AVs so I am done with that experiment. Some AVs are ok, but may tear before oem.

Good- those 2013 white AM air filters with the foam gasket were legitimate. They seal well and last like oem. I regret not buying more.
The plastic tanks and cylinder covers are holding up well.
Echo-style tank vents are great
So far so good on all seals, but OEM is a safer bet.
Clutches for 1125/1128/1122 with oem springs are holding up well to firewood use.
Rims are ok if they’re round.
No failures with Meteor pistons...again, low-moderate use with some combo of felling, limbing, bucking, and noodling.
That damn 2012-2013 Hyway 036 kit is still alive lol.
When you say AM, I’m guessing they are Chinese clone parts? Yeah, don’t touch them with a barge pole.

Yes, but also sold under aftermarket “name” brands. I’m shocked that more people haven’t had failures. I know plenty of other guys tried them when I did back in 2013 or so.

Clone saws that are actually working should be torn down and have all the aftermarket buffers removed. A catastrophic failure of AV could kill a saw.

Back