Stihl Artic saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cantoo

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Ok, I might not be the smartest Stihl owner out there but at least I'm learning. I do a fair amount of buying at auction sales as anybody who's read "My firewood tools" thread knows. I have about 15 saws including some huskys, and even a poulan or 2. I bought a Stihl 440 awhile at a sale, it has a little 16" bar on it and man does it cut wood. I used it a few times just to cut logs into rounds, it worked great but the handle got so hot you couldn't even hold the thing to cut. I tried using heavy gloves and even resorted to holding it by the brake handle just so I could use it. On Friday I was getting ready to cut some wood and was getting the 440 and a 360 (20" bar) go. I had the 2 saws side by side to compare the bars to make sure they would go on either saw. that's when I noticed a little toggle switch by the handle on the 440, oh and the little sticker that says Artic Stihl on it. All of a sudden the lights came on and I realize the damn thing has a handle warmer on it. I used the saw all weekend and I really like it now. You wouldn't believe the whining I have done about this "hot" saw to my wife, I even complained to my buddies and tried to sell it to one of them. I really have to start reading manuals and labels.

That hot saw is a dog , I'll take it off your hands that way none of your close friends will biatch at you for selling them a dud .
Seriously , my pm box is always open LOL

I have two 066 Arctics, 20" bars. My most used saw. 044,038, ms660, two 028, just in case one quits. There were a couple of different heater systems used, but in the winter they make your wet gloves steam. You sometimes have to shut the heater off, TOO hot. Was going to tap into the generator and power up my electric heated socks!!

My saw dosen't have a heated handle but my snowmobile does and I LOVE that.

My 066 is a Arctic model..I've never had a need for it but it's a great feature for warding off saw borrowers. All my buddies/family that have wanted to "give it a try" get the hot handle mode ... half tank and they've had enough.

Back