• Please be aware that we have recently gotten a wave of users that, when researched, are found to be from Nigeria. They are trying to sell products and asking to be paid through Zelle or Venmo leaving users with no recourse if they don't ship the product. If you suspect this activity please contact admin and we will research their information to verify their location.

ArboristSite.com Sponsors
Peak Industries

Stihl Bar Studs - Which Loctite?

SteveSr

SteveSr

Addicted to ArboristSite
Website
Visit site
Hello,

This is on a magnesium 034S crankcase. The Service Manual lists no fewer than 4 different types of Loctite. None of the numbers look familiar. Any suggestions on what type I should use? I do happen to have some removable 242 Threadlocker available. Don't know if this has to be temperature or bar oil proof or not.

Thanks,
Steve

trains

trains

Firewood hack
I think the rear stud goes thru to the oil res for the bar oil, so clean thread first then fit stud.
242, blue, medium strength loctite

trains

trains

Firewood hack
243 is oil tolerant medium strength thread locker. Basically the same as 242 as far as strength etc, just more tolerant of oil.

I guess its specified due to the stud going thru to the oil tank on one of the studs.

SteveSr

SteveSr

Addicted to ArboristSite
Website
Visit site
I was looking at an 026 at the time but it's in your 034/036 manual as well(page 7-8), on the toque specs table(though it mentions 243 vice 242).

View attachment 736607
Is see it now! "Guide Bar" is different than "Guide Bar Stud" Must be German translation!

BTW, BOTH studs go through to the oil tank.