Stihl BG56C blower bogs when the throttle is engaged

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Canterbury

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Good afternoon! I have been trouble shooting my blower for quite some time. I know this type of issue typically is related to a plugged muffler screen. However, this unit does not have one installed. I vacuum and pressure tested the fuel tank, lines, as well as the crankcase and cylinder. I cannot find any issues with the Mityvac. I ordered a new OEM carburetor and installed it today. I am still having the same issues. The unit will start and idle. Once the throttle is pulled it remains at the same RPM with the addition of a bogging sound. Check out this video and let me know if anyone has some suggestions of what else it could be.

Clean the screen in the muffler.

Harley,

The screen was removed quite some time ago. I have the entire screw-in exhaust nozzle pulled. Yes, I have the same muffler that you shared the picture of. The sound does seem to emanate from the intake side when the butterfly opens. I'll read through the repair manual to determine if there are any tests I can run on the ignition coil.

Harley,

The screen was removed quite some time ago. I have the entire screw-in exhaust nozzle pulled. Yes, I have the same muffler that you shared the picture of. The sound does seem to emanate from the intake side when the butterfly opens. I'll read through the repair manual to determine if there are any tests I can run on the ignition coil.
Coils bad .

Harley,

Remove the muffler and look the the piston. It is likely carboned over, or there is a blockage somewhere in there.

It was highly unlikely that anything had built a nest in the muffler since the unit was stored in my enclosed truck bed. I did open up the muffler and closely inspected it to be 100% certain. There is nothing inside the muffler. I had also inspected the exhaust port during my initial tear down. I had some minor build-up, which was all removed prior to installing the new carburetor. I read through the service manual and there is not much to test on the coil. I'll try to source another coil and go from there. I'll let y'all know how it goes. Thanks for your input thus far.

It was highly unlikely that anything had built a nest in the muffler since the unit was stored in my enclosed truck bed. I did open up the muffler and closely inspected it to be 100% certain. There is nothing inside the muffler. I had also inspected the exhaust port during my initial tear down. I had some minor build-up, which was all removed prior to installing the new carburetor. I read through the service manual and there is not much to test on the coil. I'll try to source another coil and go from there. I'll let y'all know how it goes. Thanks for your input thus far.
Sure seems like it would be the coil at this point.

Update... The issue was directly associated with the coil. I ordered a used one and installed it this evening. The unit started up and ran as it should. An interesting observation or lack thereof, regarding minimal spark production, was intriguing. I totally anticipated seeing a spark jump across the plug. However, I could not see anything. I started to doubt the issue was going to be resolved by the replacement coil. I reassembled everything and took it outside for a few pulls and it ran normally. I am still baffled that a spark could not be observed with the plug resting on the cylinder.

Thanks again for the guidance.

Best regards

Update... The issue was directly associated with the coil. I ordered a used one and installed it this evening. The unit started up and ran as it should. An interesting observation or lack thereof, regarding minimal spark production, was intriguing. I totally anticipated seeing a spark jump across the plug. However, I could not see anything. I started to doubt the issue was going to be resolved by the replacement coil. I reassembled everything and took it outside for a few pulls and it ran normally. I am still baffled that a spark could not be observed with the plug resting on the cylinder.

Thanks again for the guidance.

Best regards
Awesome.

Back