Stihl bg86 leaf blower bogs how to remove limiters?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think you can snip the limiter part with a pair of side dikes.

My BG86 plugged the screen. I just removed it to be left out. I believe some of these are limited by coil so you have to tune it warmed up and turn the H screw out slightly until it four strokes and lean it a bit from there. I don't really notice a bog on mine but I also understand it is a blower and it has a blower fan to spool up so it won't be a like a chainsaw

My screen already had a little carbon on it as did the plug not sure as I'm not running it full throttle yet maybe that's why? Did you cut the screen off and put the bolt back in? Or just leave the whole thing out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nope just removed bolt completely. The blower should be run wide open. That is what it is designed for. You won't hurt it any. Just retune it once hot running

Sent from somewhere

I have an SH-86C that was bought not all that long ago this past summer. It bogs when you try to spool it up. Sometimes it's worse than other times.

I have maybe 3-4 tanks thru it. I don't like it doing that (obviously), but thought that it was just a matter of getting worn-in some (I don't believe in the term, broken-in).

Sounds as if it's a typical issue with blowers. :mad: I'm not going to mess with it myself, but it will be going back to a dealer for attention. I have a 4 yr. warranty on it.

First thing I did when I got it home, was to remove the spark arrester. So that's not the issue.

I think you can snip the limiter part with a pair of side dikes.

My BG86 plugged the screen. I just removed it to be left out. I believe some of these are limited by coil so you have to tune it warmed up and turn the H screw out slightly until it four strokes and lean it a bit from there. I don't really notice a bog on mine but I also understand it is a blower and it has a blower fan to spool up so it won't be a like a chainsaw

Good point! Maybe the bogging is just the nature of the beast?

We have 3 of these blowers,all of them had the bog issue when they were new.The 2 oldest blowers(about 4 years old or so)seem to have lost the bogging issue after being run a couple years,I don't notice any bog on these 2 anymore.I was just using the newest one this week to clean up some leaves and it is still bogging and runs alittle rough at times,that blower was just bought last fall and hasn't seem much use yet.It seems with the ones I have used that they run much better after they get some miles on them.

On the 56's that I have worked on after cutting the plugged up screen off. Just use a screwdriver with a little more meatier handle and slip the screw inside the limiter. Turn it open about a 1/4 turn past the limit, then back down to where it needs to be.

Nothing I have owned has plugged a screen so fast as this unit did.
I took this off yesterday when I noticed it was running so poorly
fcac16c8579633c1ade7893544c9a7f8.jpg

Sent from somewhere

Sent from somewhere

I removed the screen from day one. If I could find a good way to make a better muff mod? I would.

Sent from somewhere
How was your plug mine was pretty fouled for only having an hour of run on it

I cleaned nothing. Exhaust is clean. Top of piston even looks clean.
257abfca0c5073ebcef18e767aedef70.jpg

Sent from somewhere

I didn't get to do anything yet but ran it yesterday 30 degrees outside had it stall about 20 times from idle to half or full throttle

Back