Stihl BR380D or Husqvarna 150BT Blower?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bpevans

Reaction score
Looking for advice on my next backpack blower purchase.

I'm a home-owner on a bit less than 1/2 acre heavily wooded lot. I just sold my Husqvarna 125BT, a 25cc backpack blower which ran nicely but when moving leaves on grass it made me constantly debate whether raking would be faster. I'd also like to clean off the deck faster without so many passes.

I've narrowed down (I think) my next purchase to either the Stihl BR 380 D ($329+tax) or Husqvarna 150BT ($270+tax). Any opinions or experience with a backpack blower in this range? I've been very happy with the Stihl MS260 saw I picked-up used (based on lots of advice in threads here on aroristsite) but the Husqvarna blower never gave me any troubles either.

Husqvarna 150BT, $170+tx, 494 CFM, 173mph, 50cc

Stihl BR 380 D, $329+tx, 465 CFM, 181mph, 56cc

First I will say I dont know anything about the Husky's and I really like Stihl. After running several Stihl blowers, both hand held and back pack, I think you would really like the BR-550. I know it cost more but you will be surprised at the rate of moving leaves and you will not want to pick up a rack. If you have a Stihl dealer near by then let him show you the difference in the BR-380 and the BR-550. This is just my opinion and yes, I know every one has one.

you will definentally be satisfied with the stihl br380. has plenty of power but not enough for proffesional use. my father has one at his house and ive helped him out and used it and it is a great blower. and also it will last for many years to come. The huskys i am not to familiar with and neither are alot of people but all i can say is i wonder why ( because they probably arent that good.

I did go ahead and buy the Stihl 380.

Just ran it for the first time this evening after an initial no-go this weekend with the throttle disconnect not reconnecting. Bought it last Friday and should have stopped the dealer right there when the on-off switch wouldn't re-connect the throttle after a few switches, took it back this morning and they fixed it today (removing the feature permanently I believe)

I'm impressed with it's first run, seems to be exactly I was looking for and clearly runs circles around the little 125BT I had before.

Thanks all.

you will definentally be satisfied with the stihl br380. has plenty of power but not enough for proffesional use. my father has one at his house and ive helped him out and used it and it is a great blower. and also it will last for many years to come. The huskys i am not to familiar with and neither are alot of people but all i can say is i wonder why ( because they probably arent that good.

Bullspit!!! The reason most aren't familiar with the newer Huskies is because they just came out in the last year. As most know, Husqvarna bought out Redmax so if you buy one of the new Husky blowers then you're getting an orange Redmax, and we all know how much ass those things kick. Including those crappy Stihls that people tout.

The older Husky blowers are nothing to sneeze at either. Most have Kawasaki engines and I don't think there is anything else out there any better.... especially after what I've been reading about Stihl's 4 mix crappo. Later!

Last edited:
And another thing..... funny that Echo invented the blower design that we all like and use and I'm sure they've invested ALOT of time and money to perfect them. Yet they get little mention or credit on any of these forums. Later!

I have had my Husky BT150 (Kawasaki engine) for two full leaf seasons at this point.

Not a hitch or problem; starting is a breeze.

One of the factors that influenced my decision was that Husky as a brand was the best-rated backpack blower when Consumer Reports did its last review in Sept. 2007. (The BT150 model wasn't reviewed).

I also remember the Stihls I looked at being noticeably noisier.

I did go ahead and buy the Stihl 380.

Just ran it for the first time this evening after an initial no-go this weekend with the throttle disconnect not reconnecting. Bought it last Friday and should have stopped the dealer right there when the on-off switch wouldn't re-connect the throttle after a few switches, took it back this morning and they fixed it today (removing the feature permanently I believe)

I'm impressed with it's first run, seems to be exactly I was looking for and clearly runs circles around the little 125BT I had before.

Thanks all.

The throttle can be tricky at times. Sometimes the curise control lever is not all the way down and it want let the trigger connect to the cable. Anyway, if I were you I would go ahead and pull the spark arrestor out to save trouble down the road.

Bullspit!!! The reason most aren't familiar with the newer Huskies is because they just came out in the last year. As most know, Husqvarna bought out Redmax so if you buy one of the new Husky blowers then you're getting an orange Redmax, and we all know how much ass those things kick. Including those crappy Stihls that people tout.

The older Husky blowers are nothing to sneeze at either. Most have Kawasaki engines and I don't think there is anything else out there any better.... especially after what I've been reading about Stihl's 4 mix crappo. Later!

shadow, i do not know what state or city you are from but here in Cincinnati Ohio there very few that will stand behind Husky products. and for that reason ( in my own experience) i will not buy husky. If there were dealers here that would trust the product i would give it a try. And why do you think stihl is crap? what personal experience have you had with stihl that makes you dislike them?

Husky: as solid as Stihl

I know I'm late to the party with this response, but after reading this thread I had to comment. I am the proud owner of both Stihl and Husky equipment, and they are both great. They both perform equally well, and I wouldn't hesitate to confidently recommend either one. They are the only two names in power equipment that I would consider purchasing.

With that said, I cannot imagine how any dealer would not back a Husky product. Everyone I know that has a Husky loves it. Same is true of Stihl. I liken it to the Makita vs. Dewalt debate in the world of power tools. I don’t think you can go wrong with either.

Just my two cents.

Mike

I do lawn care and I run RedMax Blowers and Trimmers. They make a solid product and for around the same money as the Stihl you'll get 20 more mph than the Stihl. I'm like Stilh products but the RedMax is a better blower and trimmer. Even though Husky owns RedMax they still operate separately. Not really fond of the RedMax saws.

i have the Husky 180 BT

it's insane.i had the 170 but it got stolen almost two years ago.that was a great blower too.

Stihl blowers are a joke.i have used and worked on them.they need to dump this 4 mix garbage.

I just bought a BT150 a few weeks ago. That thing is awesome. I have no experience with a Stihl but all of my power tools are Huskys with the exception of an Echo string/brush trimmer which absolutely rocks.

A funny story about the Husqvarna 125BT that I bought from Lowe's two years ago. I hated that thing. The Toro electric was better than it. I would be standing sideways on a hill and the Husky would die out. It still had about a quarter of a tank of gas. I would go to level ground and restart it and it would run till I either ran out of gas or leaned to the right again.

So, I took it back to Lowe's. They gave me some serious grief about taking it back. I pointed to the sign with three inch letters behind me about "complete customer satisfaction" and still they wouldn't give me my money back. The assistant store manager came out and she tried to tell me that it was designed that way. I said, "Huh?"

She tried to tell me that that was a safety feature of the engine so that it wouldn't wreck the engine by running out of gas. I said, "Huh?"

She said that Husqy designed it that way so that it would shut off before it ran out of gas. You guessed it. Again, I said, "Huh?"

I couldn't believe what I was hearing. So, I told her to get the manual and show me where in the manual it said that.

She had the garden guy go get a manual and bring it to her office. Five minutes later another woman came over and gave me my money back without a word.

I couldn't believe that she tried to pull that crap. Needless to say I may to go Lowe's to buy fertilizer but never another 2 cycle tool again.

Latest posts

Back