Stihl BR420 piston in Stihl 034 saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Same bore and stroke does not mean the piston is the same. Pin size and compression height may differ. Design may differ as well.

Use a stock piston. If NLA, you may need to move to a 48mm top end.

OEM and Meteor both list 46mm 034 pistons. Stihl piston is pricey, ~$80.

I don't have a BR420 IPL to check part # for piston. If it is same as 034 it will be 1125 030 2002. I doubt it is, cylinders are much different.

Seems like the 46mm stuff is usually pretty cheap because most go 48mm when replacing parts. I understand though if you have the part sitting in front of you. Let us know if you end up giving it a go, and take lots of pictures.

The swap was inspired by the modified 028 piston I have on my 024.
Spotted an inexpensive 46mm BR420 Chinesium piston for sale and so I posed the question.
The OEM piston has some minor scoring, but really only needs to be cleaned up and have a new set of rings installed to be put back in service.

Buy a Meteor for ~$35 USA and be done with it. Or pony up for a OEM.

How much time would you have into it make it fit? Would it be worth ~$15? Or ~$65 OEM?

Then if it blew up in ~5 minutes..........and trashed the clyinder........

P.S. I still have two Stihl NOS/OEM 46mm 034 cylinders, no pistons, on trading post......

Latest posts

Back