Stihl Carb Kits ( BG55 )

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ham

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Why is it so difficult to buy carb kits for Stihl equipment? I was told that Stihl actively stops companies from selling these. I prefer rebuilding carbs vs Chinese or OEM. Trying right now to find a carb kit for a BG55 blower, seems impossible

Go to the Zamacorp.com site. Banner on top > Support > Parts and Service > Carburetor Look up > Find your carb number etched on the side and click corresponding model family > Find your carb spec and click. Disregard the "Must be purchased......." crap.
Lists everything you need with Zama numbers.

I heard Stihl is limiting the availability of certain kits through zama. 261 and 201 are some. I don’t know if they are going to go after old models. You could buy China carbs and take the kits out of them probably cheaper.

I heard Stihl is limiting the availability of certain kits through zama. 261 and 201 are some. I don’t know if they are going to go after old models. You could buy China carbs and take the kits out of them probably cheaper.
I had a guy at a parts counter mention this, that Stihl has some % ownership in zama, they reduced the price of carbs (still $35 though) and made the kits unavailable.
@ham

Do you know what the carb model is? The IPL seems to indicate it would be a Zama C1q variant.

http://www.zamacorp.com/partstypes.html?types=C1Q

I believe it is a c1q-s55, which is a RB-79 zama kit, which is not available OEM. It looks like my only option is an Oregon kit

Then Stens site says you have to be a dealer.
The last time I ordered one, I went by I believe what stens sold, and the diaphragm was missing a hole. I ended up cobbling together a "kit" from an old Chinese carb and the stens kit. This time I'm trying oregon

Okay................... Update. I have a c1q-s68g. Still chasing my tail on a carb kit. Zama, Oregon, stens, rotary, none have a kit for the s68g. I found a stihl UK part number for a kit that SEEMS to reference zama rb-99. However last time I did this I ordered an OEM rb-99 kit and the holes weren't quite right.

The RB-99 is the right kit.

Thanks, that is what my research from last time showed, and I ordered this earlier this year:

https://www.stens.com/615-221-carburetor-kit
However the holes (particularly the "middle" hole) in the diaphragm didn't line up. Even though the carb clearly says "s68g" on it. I'm going to take the carb apart and to my dealer to see if they can match something up. I know it's cheaper/easier to just buy a new carb, but I have had REALLY bad luck with the Chinese carbs, and even a stihl carb is 1/3 the cost of the entire blower

Thanks, that is what my research from last time showed, and I ordered this earlier this year:

https://www.stens.com/615-221-carburetor-kit
However the holes (particularly the "middle" hole) in the diaphragm didn't line up. Even though the carb clearly says "s68g" on it. I'm going to take the carb apart and to my dealer to see if they can match something up. I know it's cheaper/easier to just buy a new carb, but I have had REALLY bad luck with the Chinese carbs, and even a stihl carb is 1/3 the cost of the entire blower
Have you thought of punching your own hole in the necessary place? The other hole shouldn't matter if it is blocked. This punch set might work https://amzn.to/3rH0gGq

My local dealer gets me kits for any stihl gear I have. I’ve got a pile of them for Zama and walbro carbs. What I have had problems with is getting a replacement carb costs 1/3 or more the cost of a new machine. For example, we have a couple of pro line trimmers that had been sitting a while and when I went to service them for use I snapped one of the adjustment needles as they had rusted slightly. Couldn’t buy the needle, needles out of other carbs for similar sized trimmers didn’t fit, new carb around $375, new machine $900. These are a few years old and mainly used as spares so now they are just parts machines. If I could fix them they would last a homeowner a lifetime even after their commercial life is over.

I had my dealer look up the correct kit, they also came up with RB-99 from Oregon. $20 whew. I went ahead and bought it. Maybe the zama rb-99 I got earlier in the year was a knockoff

Back