Stihl Chain Size Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

max2cam

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I'm trying to identify the bar and chain size on my old 024 so I can order a chain for it. However, the size on it now doesn't appear to match up with the replacement chains as listed in the catalogs.

Catalog says that the Stihl 024 should have:

.325 x .050 (or .063) x 67 drive links

However, my saw's bar and chain both have "Stihl" stamped on them. On the chain it says: "325T" and the tang number is "5" which according to the charts is a .058 gauge chain and that's also what it measures when I put the micrometer on the drive tang.

Also, by the charts it should have 67 drivers, but my chain has 66.

The Stihl bar on it has these numbers: 3.83 & 3003 000 6813

Is this some kind of odd-ball size chain and bar? None of the catalogs I have list an .058 gauge chain for Stihl. Yet here is one. What exactly do I have on this old saw that I know not the history of?

Guess I'll have to order by the measurements and driver count and not by what it should have on it...

3003 000 6813 = .325/.063 67 drivers. The 5 on the chain does indicate it's .058 the bar groove is .063. How does the bar look? You may only need the correct guage chain to set you right. Stihl does make .058 chain to outfit other saws they just don't use it on their own new saws anymore, stems from a pi$$ing match with the Swedes! Maybe the .058 chain is stretched and someone took a link out? My bar and chain catolog says that combo should take 67 drivers.

Just like sedanman said somebody simply put a .058 chain on it. I actually had a 2100 come in with a .063 bar and a spare .050 chain. I guess people figure if it fits why not. As for the drive count it is just like he said also. The chain was stretched so they shortened it.

Bill

Thanks for the good and helpful information!

I counted 66 drivers again. Must be a shortened chain.

Bar looks like it has some life left in it. But how can you tell for sure? It look olds and used but not bent. Sprocket in nose doesn't have any slop. Edges have a bit of a burr, but that's about it.

max2cam. Bring the bar with you when you go and buy your chain from your dealer (personal service). Ask the dealer to look at the bar and dress it if he thinks it needs it, if he doesn't routinely dress bars go elsewhere. Your dealer has guages to measure bar groove width but don't be surprised if he just puts the right size chain in the groove and checks for slop. There is also a tool to measure sprocket wear but I've never seen it used, the eyeball works just as well.

Rocky, how wore are your sprockets when you change them? Do you change them out of practice or because they need it?
Most of family doesn't change sprockets unless the dealer has it in there and recommends it. Just trying to learn.

I had a dealer/rental place tell me one time that if they had to replace the sprocket every 3-4 chains that they wouldn't be able to aford to rent the saws out!!! IDIOTS!!! Like Brian said, they are only $3-5 apice so why not change them??!!

$5 for a sprocket ?? !!

I assume you are speaking of a rim (replacement) & not a spur sprocket. If you can get spur sprockets for $5, "Hook me up"

I always put rim sprockets on the saws that I use a lot & spur type on the others. Most non-pros (like myself) have never seen a rim sprocket & do not realize the savings potential over the long run.

Hey Ryan, one possible reason that the rental shop wouldn`t replace a rim after every 4 or 5 chains is because alot of shops put a new chain on every time the saw goes out. I agree with your logic but there might be more to the story.

Russ

stihl 024av pm to rm bar &chain conversion(?)

hello all, a bit of a neophyte here to saw mods, so I'm looking for a bit of help, faced with a similar, but not same issue. I recently picked up a 1985 024av wb used for a good price, saw came with the original bar and chain and they were destroyed. After consulting the catalog, and our local dealer I picked up a new bar (3003 002 7113) and 26RMc3-67 chain (3634 005 0067). Now, the saw came from the factory with the following bar (3003 000 6313) with a 60 link picco chain. The saw acctually has a decal that says "Picco chain equipped".... Personally I have a strong dislike for the picco style chains, and I want to use the RM chains and occassionally an RS for larger jobs....

Here's my question, I know I have to replace the sproket to make the new bar and chain combo work (I think).

The existing sprocket is stihl part no. 1121160 2900, rim wheel stamped "p-7"

Can I get a new rim (wheel) to fit the .325/.063 chain or do is a spur sprocket my only choice?

What is the difference between the 7 and 8 tooth rim sprocket?

It seems, just eyeballing it, that the new bar chain combo will sit right up on the sprocket with the adjuster all the way in with this combo....

Has anyone else had this issue???

A little lost here, can't get in touch with dealer until next week so would appreciate any and all help, Brian.

You can get a rim/drum kit for the .325 7T - part number 1121 007 1035.

or, if your drum is in good condition, just the rim - part number 0000 642 1236

8 tooth rim will give you a higher chain speed, but will bog down easier. On an 024, I'd just stay with the 7 tooth...

If you have the right length chain for the bar it will all fit...

Thanks Lakeside, that was my inclination, and I really appreciate the advice, I can't wait to get it back together. Cutting wood with this saw makes me feel like I'm 18 again.

Mike mandry said:
$5 for a sprocket ?? !!

I assume you are speaking of a rim (replacement) & not a spur sprocket. If you can get spur sprockets for $5, "Hook me up"

I always put rim sprockets on the saws that I use a lot & spur type on the others. Most non-pros (like myself) have never seen a rim sprocket & do not realize the savings potential over the long run.

Baileys...

Latest posts

Back