STIHL CHAINSAW EXPERT NEEDED

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Start with the 064. Pull the muffler and look at the piston.
If it looks good, put back on and put a squrt of fuel in the carb, and pull/try to get it to hit/start.
See what happens.

ok I assume you are referring to "crankshaft seals" and not "crack seals" :rare2: can I visually inspect these? If not, how can I check them?
Yes crank seals.
From what you've explained about their history it would be a good idea to give the saws a full servicing. First the crankshafts and case bearings need inspected. A full servicing includes new crank seals, so pull them to better inspect the bearings. Don't buy anything until you've made the inspection because a bad crank bearing puts a halt on things.
As mentioned by others, the inspection of the piston is also part of that first step, and you'll want to check the intake side of it. Either peer through the carb with the throttle open or remove the carb entirely for a much easier view. The carbs should be coming off to have new kits installed anyways.
While you're following advice about the intake boot make sure to inspect the impulse hose. It isn't uncommon for them to dry out a enough to spin loosely on the barb, but still hang on tight when you pull on them.
Replace any worn clutch springs and shoes.
The old tank vents had those grub screws up in the vent hose. Those things are too restrictive and cause lean running conditions if they're installed incorrectly or the wrong type of fuel line is used. They're specifically designed for use with the oem hose listed on the IPL's.
Don't forget to set the coil gap before you fire it up.

I haven't worked on very many saws yet, but I'm not intimidated by them anymore. If you have rebuilt engines then a saw is simple, dealing with small parts is the most difficult part of it.....sounds like a punch line for a joke.

I hate deleting and censoring.
If you said it, hell, let it stand.

Hopefully this site won't be over-run by the "offended Puthies".

It has been in the past.

I hate deleting and censoring.
If you said it, hell, let it stand.

Hopefully this site won't be over-run by the "offended Puthies".

It has been in the past.
B8175A1F-A1B4-4D00-98DE-F06F8567A54B.jpeg This will soothe the chapped bottoms !

Back