Stihl CirClip Installer Tool

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bedford T

the1chainsawguy
Reaction score
This tool is worthless to a lot of people because they do not need it, they do it a different way. This post is for everyone else.

I posted this in the Huztl MS660 thread and was concerned a large number of people would not see the tool, in case it was of interest, here it is. This one is 12mm. they come in three or 4 sizes. Not clear if the 8,9mm are the same or separate but the 10, 12mm are and not interchangeable, I sorta bet they are all separate.

There is a video that Definitive Dave posted on how to operate it and I will include that link, I had no way of knowing and so I turned to youtube. Video makes it clear why its such a helpful tool. Making an aggravating job too many, quick and easy. When you see it operated, you go, I see, because its just not clear how it works from just looking at the tool (to me), excellent design. With this you don't need many extra circlips on hand with it. I got it to work the first time. Part # 5910 890 2212 last couple of digits change with the size

To buy: http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-Stihl-T...460-064-066-MS660-5910-890-2212-/221731842886

to watch it work:

circlip tool.jpg IMG_20170722_170652.jpg IMG_20170722_170704.jpg IMG_20170722_171614.jpg IMG_20170722_171628.jpg IMG_20170722_171713.jpg IMG_20170722_171721.jpg IMG_20170722_171737.jpg IMG_20170722_171805.jpg

I wrote a reviews in Huztl ms660 and decided it might get over looked. In that one I noted at first I grabbed a aftermarket market and it would not work and then used oem and it was perfect. Put them together and the AM was a "nats behind" larger.

That's so not a big deal. I will pick up more. It is a big deal if you don't notice. I did not notice I left that out of this one, sorry.

I used to have a lot of trouble with the C clips. Once you figure out how to do them they are easy. First thing is if your vision is not perfect wear reading glasses so you can see perfectly. Next get it in the proper position the open end very slightly past the opening then hold it with say your left pointer finger in place and flip it in with a pick using your right hand while making sure you can see it seat before you let go. If it don't seat push it while still holding in place this is where the reading glasses come in to play so you can make sure it is truly seated. Last spin with a pick till the opening is at 12:00 position and once again double check it is seated well! Tip , if it spins really easy throw it away and use another.

?

I am assembling another 660 now. I ordered some parts checked them out and then ordered the balance. Should have everything by first of next week.

I had a complete engine so I did not order a kit. I would have wound up with another engine.

Is that what you are referring too? Still Huztl.

I also ordered the wrap handle

This tool is worthless to a lot of people because they do not need it, they do it a different way. This post is for everyone else.

I posted this in the Huztl MS660 thread and was concerned a large number of people would not see the tool, in case it was of interest, here it is. This one is 12mm. they come in three or 4 sizes. Not clear if the 8,9mm are the same or separate but the 10, 12mm are and not interchangeable, I sorta bet they are all separate.

There is a video that Definitive Dave posted on how to operate it and I will include that link, I had no way of knowing and so I turned to youtube. Video makes it clear why its such a helpful tool. Making an aggravating job too many, quick and easy. When you see it operated, you go, I see, because its just not clear how it works from just looking at the tool (to me), excellent design. With this you don't need many extra circlips on hand with it. I got it to work the first time. Part # 5910 890 2212 last couple of digits change with the size

To buy: http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-Stihl-T...460-064-066-MS660-5910-890-2212-/221731842886

to watch it work:

View attachment 592471 View attachment 592472 View attachment 592473 View attachment 592474 View attachment 592475 View attachment 592476 View attachment 592477 View attachment 592478 View attachment 592479

Of course, I had to put a new piston/cyl on a 441c, turns out my installer is for a 10mm and the 441 is a 12mm.

I used to have a lot of trouble with the C clips. Once you figure out how to do them they are easy. First thing is if your vision is not perfect wear reading glasses so you can see perfectly. Next get it in the proper position the open end very slightly past the opening then hold it with say your left pointer finger in place and flip it in with a pick using your right hand while making sure you can see it seat before you let go. If it don't seat push it while still holding in place this is where the reading glasses come in to play so you can make sure it is truly seated. Last spin with a pick till the opening is at 12:00 position and once again double check it is seated well! Tip , if it spins really easy throw it away and use another.
I tried your method but couldn't get a pick to lever up and over. Instead I actually took 5 minutes to modify a small screwdriver and it worked great. I did take your advice and wore reading glasses and had a good light on it so it was very clear. See my post at the end of this thread for photos and description.

I came up with an alternate way to install a 12mm circlip using a very small screwdriver I modified slightly. See the two photos. I mounted the blade in my vice so just the height of the desired notch was above the vice and then used a flat file across the top of the vice to grind out the notch. After that I smoothed off the protruding leg so it had no sharp edges. I put one leg of the circlip into the groove and pushed down as much as possible while working my way about halfway around the circlip. While holding down the installed side I tried pushing the other side over and down. I had to experiment a little to find just the right place and then the other leg of the circlip popped into the groove. I did notice at that point (while still holding down firmly) that the center of the circlip wasn't in the groove yet so I moved my holding finger around to restrain the two legs and used my installing tool to push straight down and the center of the circlip popped in! After that I used the leg of my new tool to rotate the circlip so the opening was pointing straight upwards, per the service manual (or straight downwards - either direction). Using this tool to rotate the circlip into the correct position was much easier than the pick I'd been using previously.

I just saved myself a ton of money and yet another delay working on this saw (MS660 Magnum) and now I have another tool to add to my collection. I'll wire wheel the rest of the screwdriver shank, try to remove the paint on the handle and probably file a flat into the handle where I can scribe "CIRCLIP TOOL 2022" with a pointed soldering iron. :)

If anyone has any questions or wants more photos please don't hesitate to ask. This forum has helped me so much with the Beg For Manuals section. I can't tell you how much I appreciate that.

circlip tool 1.jpegcirclip tool 2.jpeg

Latest posts

Back