Stihl Contra Info Sharing Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thats some very nice ones!
I really like the first year one, can you give me the serial nr on it?? i might help you with the production date.
The early one also has the rare airfilter, not many was produced with that one!

Its sad to see the old one has been repaintet, you can see it on the starter.
The bolt are white and the color is to white, the original is more geay.

I really like the first year one, can you give me the serial nr on it?? i might help you with the production date.

I had stated earlier to Scallywag that I didn't think that they had been repainted, but I see what you are saying about the screws having paint on them. I stand corrected, looks like Scallywag was correct, apparently the earlier one has been repainted.

You think possibly just the starter and screws were repainted? If you notice in the one picture, remnants of a red decal still on the back of the fuel tank, was that original or do you think put on after repainted?

It looks like you can see the serial number in one of the pics. Look like 111,xxx. This would not be a first year contra.

It looks like you can see the serial number in one of the pics. Look like 111,xxx. This would not be a first year contra.

Yes. Its build in 1960. The manual oiler came in 1960 with serial about 112.000 and higher.

It's where the optional side handle mounts. Nick (WoodBoss83) has posted pics of the clutch covers with the handle fitted.

Cheers, I have never seen that handle listed in my books?
I will look through my Lightning documents and see what i find.
Thanks Scallywag and Woodboss83.
Justin

It's where the optional side handle mounts. Nick (WoodBoss83) has posted pics of the clutch covers with the handle fitted.
Can you give me a link to this post by woodboss83? I've searched and not found it. I really want one of those side handles for my 1st year contra which has the holes in the side cover.

Can you give me a link to this post by woodboss83? I've searched and not found it. I really want one of those side handles for my 1st year contra which has the holes in the side cover.

They are impossible to find, onless you make one yourselff.
I will take a look in some of my documents from 1959, i know i have seen them somewere.

I have seen a couple of Contras with that handle, but never on with the coverplate Nr. 1 in the picture. Any that has seen one of those??

Maybe those who has the sandcast model in there collection will have a look at the saw??

Yesterday l was at my local tip dropping off tree branches and some scrap metal. Someone had left a big ol stihl there ready to go in the scrap metal bin. l could not let this happen, it looked like an 090 but kinda didn't look like an 090. The inner edges off the felling dawgs had some deep red paint. lt was missing its top cover and air shroud but otherwise appeared to be all there. Heart beat increasing l preceeded to do a poor mans compression test by pulling the starter. lt had compression.......it came home. l really want to load some pics up to see what yas all think. lts got spark too. l think a squirt of aerostart would make her fire, but without the cover on and sitting in a shed for x amount of decades, if it does fire whatever small spiders and bugs in the intake tract will get sucked into the saw. lf I am to restore this beast, it deserves to be done right. lt had a hardnose 20" bar on it with a loop of 1\2 inch oregon chipper that has plenty of cutting left in its cutters. l feel a bit 'over my head' with this saw and don't think parts will be availible like say the 090. What you guys think?

Latest posts

Back