Stihl Contra Info Sharing Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think its a 106cc contra as there is no 'S' in front of the 1106 on the metal id tag. l tried to take the muffler off and stick a plastic drinking straw in to measure piston diameter but the nuts were rusty and would only turn a little. l hit them with wd-40 and hope that helps a bit. Its a very nice saw to look at....asthetically pleasing! l have read the first ten or so pages in this thread and l am proud to be a member of the contra owners club. l can't wait to have this saw running and make a few cuts. l have a NOS 088 21" .404 bar and roll of chain at hand for when l do. The oiler hole is further forward on the original bar so l may need to add a oiler hole in 088 bar. The bar it had on it had burrs so big l am not sure it would have cut wood, it took near half an hour with a raker file and die grinder removing burrs/rust to bring it back to reasonable condition. Had it not been off this particular saw it would have been binned.

Im very glad you saved this saw! I have 14 Contras in my collection and not room for more as i collect 07 and 08 as well.
It helps on my collectors geen, that others save these saws from the dead!
Good job...

I have seen a couple of Contras with that handle, but never on with the coverplate Nr. 1 in the picture. Any that has seen one of those??

Steffen...Here is a pic of my 1st Yr (sand cast) Contra. It didn't come with the coverplate you show in the ipl. I want one! ... I also want the D side handle!...I'm also looking for the whole clutch assembly for this saw - have been for many years.
1111No-plate-cover.jpg

For Pioneer Saws below...I believe the opening on the earliest saws was for chips to escape but note how my clutch cover is broken at that area. I don't know if this is because of the weakness caused by the opening or because it had a D side handle attached which caused stress. Later models of the C0ntra didn't have the opening. There has to be a reason.

Hey Contra/Lightning collectors, I have just added a Lightning to my collection, it has a hole in the side cover above the bar nuts that ive never seen before, any ideas what its for?

And here's a pic of a 1st yr contra with the D side handle - only pic I have found...

1st-year-extra-handle.jpg

I stick my nose into this thread once in awhile just to remind me that I need to dig mine out sometime and get on with the intended fixing of it that I started about 7-8 years ago :oops:

Tonight I remembered that someone once sent me scans of an old manual for these, which were lost with my whole library of manuals when my hard drive went down a few years ago. However, I don't delete emails, so sure enough I managed to find the scans in nine year old emails.

Unfortunately this doesn't seem to be a complete copy (note the skip from page 14 to 18) but I'll put it up here if it can be of any use to anyone.

If someone wants to merge these into a single pdf and repost please do.

Attachments

• Chainsaw part 1.pdf
    2.8 MB · Views: 40
  • Chainsaw Part2.pdf
    2.7 MB · Views: 26
  • Chainsaw Part3.pdf
    2.2 MB · Views: 22
  • Chainsaw Part 4.pdf
    2.1 MB · Views: 22
  • Chainsaw Part5.pdf
    2.1 MB · Views: 23
I have it both in english and german. Im looking for the one for the 07 (1107), dos anyone have that??

Hi

I put back together what belongs togheter. It`s a little bit sad that some pages are missing.

Nice job DND, certainly easier to reference that way.

I have it both in english and german. Im looking for the one for the 07 (1107), dos anyone have that??

Hey Steffen, would you be willing to share scans of it with us? Even if just the pages missing from my copy?

Here is mine, i hope someone can help me with the one for the 07 (1107)

Attachments

• 1106 Service Shop Manual English.pdf
    2.1 MB · Views: 74
Here is mine, i hope someone can help me with the one for the 07 (1107)

Thanks for that! I would like the 07 manual to help with renovating my two 07S, so I'm looking for it too. If I find it, you'll be the first to know :cheers:

Steffen...Here is a pic of my 1st Yr (sand cast) Contra. It didn't come with the coverplate you show in the ipl. I want one! ... I also want the D side handle!...I'm also looking for the whole clutch assembly for this saw - have been for many years.
View attachment 460106

For Pioneer Saws below...I believe the opening on the earliest saws was for chips to escape but note how my clutch cover is broken at that area. I don't know if this is because of the weakness caused by the opening or because it had a D side handle attached which caused stress. Later models of the C0ntra didn't have the opening. There has to be a reason.

And here's a pic of a 1st yr contra with the D side handle - only pic I have found...

View attachment 460109

Look at ebay.de, there are often parts or partsaws for sale.
Its a great sandcast you have there, its even without the oil window in the oilpump cover. Thats quite rare!
Here is another with the handle

Attachments

• IMG_1024.JPG
    IMG_1024.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 46
I would like ask other owners for several detailed photos of carburetor controls on Contra AV-both throttle and governor linkage. After almost three years, I managed to solve a "little" problem, so my Contra will finaly come together. When I recieved it, the controls were a mess-so I would like to restore it to original condition. Many thanks!

Latest posts

Back