Stihl Contra Info Sharing Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just get amazed when I look at my Contra and how well made/designed it is. I would be very surprised if new pro saws could have a service life as long as many Contra's had. I heard it was a hard sell for Stihl to get 070/090's into loggers hands asthey loved the contra much! I think that's why early 070's had the 'lightning' name attached to it. OK I will put the bar & half inch chain on the contra for a pic! Be warned its no shelf queen!

The D24 was also called a D24 "Super" for the 66mm saw.
Do you have any documents about it? The Super first came in 65 and the name D24 was changed in 1959, but the D24 could have lastet as an intern name within the Stihl factory.

you know,i think i read about this naming process in a war comic when i was a kid
it went something like....
"Andreas, Vot vill we name zis new chainsaw?,zer Teufulwerfer?"
"Nein, Hans. It shall be called zer Blitz, zat vill teach zose verdamten englanders a thing or two, a curse on their Villiers"
"Hohoho!" (grim Germanic chuckling)

you know,i think i read about this naming process in a war comic when i was a kid
it went something like....
"Andreas, Vot vill we name zis new chainsaw?,zer Teufulwerfer?"
"Nein, Hans. It shall be called zer Blitz, zat vill teach zose verdamten englanders a thing or two, a curse on their Villiers"
"Hohoho!" (grim Germanic chuckling)

Blitzkrieg or lightning war was a well used word in 2. world war here in Europe. It was a warfare used by the Germans.

Do you have any documents about it? The Super first came in 65 and the name D24 was changed in 1959, but the D24 could have lastet as an intern name within the Stihl factory.

Here is one flyer that calls the super versions D-24. Still not sure if these document are Stihl official though. They do have a Stihl address printed on them but also mention a 72" bar option. I don't believe there was a 72" bar for the Lightning (although I would like to be proven wrong). On the other hand, I noticed that the last ad posted by sawbones also mentions it.

Here's another old Stihl document. Prices in 1965:

I though this page was interesting in particular. The 9C24L part could be the West coast spikes. Never saw any IPL mention them, but it may yet be an official part. I wish we could still order them :( impossible to find now.

Those are great documents! I also has a partlist with prices for 07. Those are great fun to read.
Let me know if you one day scan the documents to pdf file ;-)

They sure are fun to skip through, these old document even smell like 1965 :p
The price of a Lightning-G translates to about $2,918 today, seems accurate ;)

I don't know if I will ever scan this one. It would require that the pages are separated, which I'd rather not do to preserve it. I can photograph the whole thing if you wish.

Here's another interesting thing that puzzles me. Some time ago I stumbled upon an oddball 090-G (Not a lightning but old enough to qualify for this topic I hope). It has some really unique features, but the most interesting part is, the thing is sporting 5/8" chain! :surprised3: I though 1/2" was big but that's ridiculous. Anyone know more about this option? Custom made sprocket or maybe a dealer option? I only found one other reference to this heavy chain + 090-G combination, here in this forum.

00l0l_yxH22xPVox_1200x900.jpg 00M0M_izGyclmC61G_1200x900.jpg 00t0t_7syeGDJiARX_1200x900.jpg

Yes thats a very odd 090G, i think its homemade that sproket or machined to fit the 090. Also the bar monting looks like one from a Mcculloch.

Some good pictures of the documents could be very cool.

Looks like somebody had and extra roll of 5/8 and rigged the saw to run it.

Are you sure it is 5/8 and not 9/16?

I just sold a couple rolls of Titan 5/8 chain along with about 12 old Titans in one lot last year.

Had a big pile of Oregon #16 5/8 chain in loops but have sold off most of those now.
They were very common on the McCulloch gear drives and that sprocket may have have come from a Mac and been modified as well as that bar clamp.

I agree that the sprocket is very likely from another saw that was intended to run this chain. Still quite well made in that case. I bet an original cover would still fit that saw.

In the craigslist ad they specifically mention the chain is Oregon # 16, so it must be 5/8". Although that chain fits the saw barely, there may have been a few people in the past that thought it was a good idea?

This might be for RandyMac, A few months ago I ended up with an 090G with a roller 38" bar with some of the biggest chain I've ever seen, with a new old 5/8 pitch full skip. I was told it was used in redwood and cedar, Anyone have any Info on when and where this size chain might have been used ?. pictures soon.

I'm also betting that all the damage to the 090G's housing is due to that chain size. But, I have to admit that I have a weak spot for excessive accessories such as that H&S spike it's wearing and the huge chain. Would be cool to own some of that Oregon # 16 to put on a 5 ft bar and hang that onto my 090-G :surprised3:

Unfortunately the asking price of this one is also excessive....

I agree that the sprocket is very likely from another saw that was intended to run this chain. Still quite well made in that case. I bet an original cover would still fit that saw.

In the craigslist ad they specifically mention the chain is Oregon # 16, so it must be 5/8". Although that chain fits the saw barely, there may have been a few people in the past that thought it was a good idea?

I'm also betting that all the damage to the 090G's housing is due to that chain size. But, I have to admit that I have a weak spot for excessive accessories such as that H&S spike it's wearing and the huge chain. Would be cool to own some of that Oregon # 16 to put on a 5 ft bar and hang that onto my 090-G :surprised3:

Unfortunately the asking price of this one is also excessive....
I got one of those big Dawgs on one of my 090s.

I want to make some more. Find some harder material.

Cool! can you show it sometime? I'm a big fan of the H&S claws, really heavy duty stuff. Not so common for Stihls at all, more often seen on the McCulloch and Homelite gear drives.

Back