Stihl Contra Info Sharing Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also, I have a newly acquired Lightning that I'm excited about - I've been wanting one with the side handlebar. The reason I'm posting about it here though is that is has two features that are new to me (I'm pretty new to these saws, so "new to me" doesn't mean much!). All of the Contra/Lightnings I've laid hands on had plastic throttle triggers and metal fanwheels. This one has a metal throttle trigger and a plastic fanwheel. It's an earlier plastic bonnet saw, s/n 96,504. Are this type of trigger and fanwheel common?

IMG_8930.JPG IMG_8931.JPG IMG_8932.JPG IMG_8927.JPG IMG_8928.JPG IMG_8929.JPG

I still haven't been able to rustle up photos of another cylinder cover like that, but the guy I got it from had a pretty good idea. Perhaps for a short time they included that feature to help route the spark plug wire? Seem legit to me! Here's a quick mock-up...

View attachment 577447

Winner, winner, chicken dinner! Sounds like mystery solved, to me.

Also, I have a newly acquired Lightning that I'm excited about - I've been wanting one with the side handlebar. The reason I'm posting about it here though is that is has two features that are new to me (I'm pretty new to these saws, so "new to me" doesn't mean much!). All of the Contra/Lightnings I've laid hands on had plastic throttle triggers and metal fanwheels. This one has a metal throttle trigger and a plastic fanwheel. It's an earlier plastic bonnet saw, s/n 96,504. Are this type of trigger and fanwheel common?

That side handlebar is sweet!

I have seen plastic flywheels, but not many. I think I have one in the garage. The other 7 or so are metal. Need to double check. If I recall, the plastic flywheel is on my earliest Contra - serial number 100xxx.

I have not seen a metal throttle trigger. Maybe just on the early saws?

View attachment 577451 View attachment 577452 View attachment 577453 View attachment 577454 View attachment 577455 View attachment 577456

I have seen a lot of contra's in Europe and never saw one with either metallic thottle, plastic fanwheel, or side handlebar. But it is marked 1106 so must be original. IMO it's a US thing.

BTW. I have Contra cylinder available if someone is looking for one.

Confirmed that my #100598 Contra has a plastic flywheel. This one did come from the U.S.

And my cast cylinder does not have the extra doohickey for plug wire routing.

I don't think the side handlebar is a U.S. thing. All of the early clutch covers (the ones with holes in them for chip evacuation) that I have seen have the bosses for attaching the extra bar, and all of mine have come from Germany.

Scott

Recoating your cylinder at www.uschrome will cost around $200-.In time you should be able to find a 106 cylinder at a better price.

As a footnote, don't try running 58x1.5mm 070 rings in your Contra, the correct 58x2mm Contra rings are available online.
Sent cylinder to uschrome in late March. Was able to get done for $ 170 based on a $ 30 coupon. From time sent to return of cylinder was about 1 month. All works well and is another option but does take some time to get it completed. I used a new piston with 2mm rings.

It's been awhile since this thread has seen any posting so I figured I would give it some love. Of course I have an ulterior motive as well. A few months ago I was fortunate enough to get my hands on a sand cast Contra. Unfortunately it has been restored, but I was not about to pass up the opportunity to own one! It is complete and in great condition. From what I can tell, the only part that is not correct is the recoil spring cover cap on the rewind assembly. It looks to have been replaced as it does not have the FM logo cast into it as you would expect to see with a sand cast Contra.

Now, something very curious with this saw is that there is no serial number anywhere on the saw where you would expect to find it. There is no serial number stamped on the flat at the front/top of the PTO side case half just behind the spike. Someone also informed me that on the sand cast Contras the first three or four digits of the serial number were also stamped on the top/front of the original clutch cover immediately adjacent to the number on the case. No numbers there either. Lastly, there is no serial plate riveted to the front of the flywheel side case half. Looking where the plate typically is, there does not appear to have ever been one. I removed the rewind assembly, and there is no evidence that the rivet holes had been filled when the saw was restored.

So all that makes me wonder what the story is here? I can really only think of three possibilities. First, it could simply have been a day that the serial number stamping guy just wasn't on his "A" game or didn't feel like doing his job. Second, it could have had catastrophic damage resulting in factory replacement sand cast parts including both case halves and the clutch cover since replacement parts are obviously not stamped. Third, it could be some sort of prototype or test saw that was sent out before full distribution started.

I would be very interested to know if anyone has other opinions or knows of other possibilities to explain the lack of numbering on this saw?

IMG_0243.JPG IMG_0244.JPG IMG_0245.JPG IMG_0246.JPG IMG_0247.JPG IMG_0248.JPG IMG_0249.JPG IMG_0250.JPG IMG_0178.JPG IMG_0180.JPG

I would be very interested to know if anyone has other opinions or knows of other possibilities to explain the lack of numbering on this saw?

First off, nice saw!.... I can't explain why some Contras didn't have serial numbers, I've owned at least two myself that had never had serial numbers or model tags fitted (both saws are in this thread).....Did all early Contra Lightning saws have the FM symbol on the starter?.....Or only the very earliest saws?
gse_multipart55166.jpg

That one must be a very early one, or a special series, but definately not standard. No manual oiler, the muffler, the air filter cover and especially the Bing carburator make it a very special specimen. For sure a very collectable saw, wish it was mine . Congrats.

There are all sorts of legends regarding prototype and one-off Contra's, which have been most likely started by Stihl's habit of mix matching leftover parts when they switched to different suppliers/designs and the saws themselves having been rebuilt/repaired multiple times with whatever spares were available. For example Fairbanks-Morse recoil starters were irregularly used until 1962 or 1963, most likely until either the stocks they had available ran out or the original supply contract was over.

My take on that saw is that it's basically a very early one (1959-1960) which was rebuilt at some point during the past 50+ years using factory-supplied (NOS?) parts when it suffered some sort of serious failure resulting in the need for a new crankcase. Magnesium rot due to idling too long and too often on a concrete floor is a distinct possibility. In the days of cheaper labor than we have today big repairs were rather common.
It's obviously possible the clutch cover was replaced at a later date. The Bing carburetor on that saw is worth big money. :envy:

Stihl has never been exactly forthcoming with detailed information regarding the Contra family and the 070/090. A big part of the reason is probably due to the spottiness of production records kept in the 50's and 60's. Another part of the reason is the desire to avoid unwanted publicity to the association of these saws with the logging industry, a very touchy subject in Europe in the 70's and 80's.

Would be interesting to know if there were factory replacement sandcast crankcases made that ended up without serial numbers. The one you have is definitely a sandcast made prior to any sort of production starting.

Latest posts

Back