Stihl Contra Info Sharing Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is what I believe is the case, only the very earliest of the Contras had the starter with the FM symbol, though all have Fairbanks morse starters.

Agreed. From what I understand (based on speaking with collectors and looking at photos) there seems to be some consistency with the cast FM symbol and the sand cast machines. I know there doesn't seem to be too many clear transition points with parts changes on the Contras, but it does seem to be that the cast FM symbol went away when they switched to die cast saws.

That one must be a very early one, or a special series, but definately not standard. No manual oiler, the muffler, the air filter cover and especially the Bing carburator make it a very special specimen. For sure a very collectable saw, wish it was mine . Congrats.

It is one of the early 1959 saws that were sand cast. All of the sand cast machines were without a manual oiler. From what I understand also, all sand cast machines were without an oil sight glass, and had this style of muffler and cover. Somebody else can chime in on this one, but I believe the sand casts may have come with both Bing and Tillotson carbs during their brief run?

There are all sorts of legends regarding prototype and one-off Contra's, which have been most likely started by Stihl's habit of mix matching leftover parts when they switched to different suppliers/designs and the saws themselves having been rebuilt/repaired multiple times with whatever spares were available. For example Fairbanks-Morse recoil starters were irregularly used until 1962 or 1963, most likely until either the stocks they had available ran out or the original supply contract was over.

My take on that saw is that it's basically a very early one (1959-1960) which was rebuilt at some point during the past 50+ years using factory-supplied (NOS?) parts when it suffered some sort of serious failure resulting in the need for a new crankcase. Magnesium rot due to idling too long and too often on a concrete floor is a distinct possibility. In the days of cheaper labor than we have today big repairs were rather common.
It's obviously possible the clutch cover was replaced at a later date. The Bing carburetor on that saw is worth big money. :envy:

Stihl has never been exactly forthcoming with detailed information regarding the Contra family and the 070/090. A big part of the reason is probably due to the spottiness of production records kept in the 50's and 60's. Another part of the reason is the desire to avoid unwanted publicity to the association of these saws with the logging industry, a very touchy subject in Europe in the 70's and 80's.

I'm fairly certain whether this is a factory built saw or made from parts, the body parts would have to have been manufactured in 1959 as from what I understand sand casting of the exterior parts ceased before the end of 1959. I understand the switch from sand cast to die cast was due (at least in some part) to common catastrophic failures and the need for stronger structural parts. That would definitely be one possible explanation for the need to replace the case halves and clutch cover on this one.

Would be interesting to know if there were factory replacement sandcast crankcases made that ended up without serial numbers. The one you have is definitely a sandcast made prior to any sort of production starting.

Very good question that I wonder about myself. One would assume that they would have produced parts available as replacements (which would not have serial numbers), but the run was so short on the sand casts that it's still a little crazy to think about this saw being assembled, making it to north America, getting to a user, used and severely damaged, and spare parts being obtained all in a fairly short period of time. Not unreasonable at all, but still crazy to think about!

Another thing that I notice on this saw is the air filter housing is cast by Mahle.....First one I've seen.

I have four other Contras with the early one-sided air filter housings and two of them are marked Mahle like the one on my sand cast. Good eye! I never really paid attention before that some had Mahle cast into them and some didn't!

Really nice looking. I know I read it somewhere but can't remember how many sand cast saws where made? I have never looked at any sand casts before but in the pictures does not appear to be a governor assembly on the saw. Was this something with the sand cast or the Bing carburetor or just something added later?

Really nice looking. I know I read it somewhere but can't remember how many sand cast saws where made? I have never looked at any sand casts before but in the pictures does not appear to be a governor assembly on the saw. Was this something with the sand cast or the Bing carburetor or just something added later?

Thanks! I seem to recall reading about that before as well, but I'm not sure how many were made. This one does not have a hole in the flywheel side case half for the wind vane governor, so I would say that came later. My earliest die cast Contra is serial number 94,203 and it does have the governor.

Thanks! I seem to recall reading about that before as well, but I'm not sure how many were made. This one does not have a hole in the flywheel side case half for the wind vane governor, so I would say that came later. My earliest die cast Contra is serial number 94,203 and it does have the governor.

My 89k range Contra has the governor as well. I do know it is/was common practice for the first run of a lot of things to be sandcast as this process was considerably less expensive and much shorter lead time than die casting. "On the fly" design changes were also considerably faster and cheaper with sandcast. It has long been a common practice to sand cast, make design/structural changes, then go to die cast. All of that makes sense to me, I'm sure it had always been planned to go to die cast. The saw you have missing a serial number can really only be one of two things in my opinion, it was early enough that it never got a serial number aka a "beta" test saw, or one of the first saws was ran, smashed and immediately remedied with another sand cast crankcase. There really isn't another logical explanation that I can think of. I would bet money that case was put on that saw prior to the end of 59 though, cause if you had a choice between a die cast and sand cast replacement, there would be no reason to pick sand cast. Quite the opposite now, but still intriguing. This is probably a question that will unfortunately never be solved with any kind of certainty. Very nice specimen for sure.

What you have there is the later type of 106cc Contra Lightning cylinder shroud......The early versions were made from tin.
The 137cc or 'S' shroud is made of the same die cast material, though the 'S' has a small horse shoe shaped knob on top.

ps:.....Your shroud is missing its rubber buffers off the top.

What you have there is the later type of 106cc Contra Lightning cylinder shroud......The early versions were made from tin.
The 137cc or 'S' shroud is made of the same die cast material, though the 'S' has a small horse shoe shaped knob on top.

ps:.....Your shroud is missing its rubber buffers off the top.
Thank you for the quick information!

Recently picked up this Contra G from a member here. It has an 090 top end on it, but definitely a Contra - serial number 902775. Getting a muffler and bar cover from Phil and will go with an NOS 66mm jug that I recently acquired. Just need a darn gear cover! Anyone know where I might be able to find one? An 090G cover is slightly different cosmetically (has the gunning sight on it), but mechanically the same so it will work fine.

IMG_1304.JPG

Also scored an NOS Contra G muffler but need a heat shield. Probably a shot in the dark, but anyone got one laying around? Or a complete muffler?

image1-1.jpg image1.jpg image2.jpg

Recently picked up this Contra G from a member here. It has an 090 top end on it, but definitely a Contra - serial number 902775. Getting a muffler and bar cover from Phil and will go with an NOS 66mm jug that I recently acquired. Just need a darn gear cover! Anyone know where I might be able to find one? An 090G cover is slightly different cosmetically (has the gunning sight on it), but mechanically the same so it will work fine.

View attachment 639490

Also scored an NOS Contra G muffler but need a heat shield. Probably a shot in the dark, but anyone got one laying around? Or a complete muffler?

View attachment 639492 View attachment 639493 View attachment 639494

Does your Contra G/090g have a 1109 tag?

Oh I agree it's a Contra G. Just wondering if it had a tag. I think just because it doesn't have a tag, that doesn't automatically mean the case has been replaced. Maybe it fell off or it just didn't come with one.

Ok. I guess it could have been a GS, too, right?

I guess it could have been. I have 5 090g chain drive saws. Four of them have 1109s tags and one has no tag. I don't know if I believe that at one time they were all Contra G or GS's. I just always thought they were very early 090g and Stihl was trying to use up Contra parts. Because if someone blew up a top end on their Contra G, why not just replace with Contra G parts. Just like today I would image Stihl had contra top ends for awhile after they were discontinued. I could very well be wrong, Im just thinking out loud. Then you have the low serial numbers. A couple of the chain drives have serial numbers 901xxx.

Nick -

I think it is fairly well-established that the first 090G's were chain drive.

As for the 090G versus Contra G/GS I don't know where the Contra's stopped and the 090's started but Magnus's site has several Contra G's in the 901xxx range. And Stihl of Germany has verified that my saw is indeed a Contra. I just don't know whether it was a G or GS. Having said that, I have a few 66mm Contra jugs so that's what I plan to run on it.

Scott

Latest posts

Back