Stihl Contra Lightning

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bar Burnner

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello i am looking for a recoil and a front handel for an Stihl Contra Lightning this saw was made in 1960 and is huge looks very similar to a 090 -- 070 but i don't think the parts will interchange can anyone help me?

Hi There, the starting covers for all three saws you mention are interchangeable. the only difference is the small pulley guide on the original lightning cover. Stihl sold 200,000 Red lightnings by the second year of their production.
John

Ya, it looks like Ole Andy broke one of the first Cardinal rules of saw use. never have a burning stogie while admiring your creation.
John

Hi Rick, I dont have any spare parts for the Red Rage, but you will be happy to know that 80% of the parts are stihl available 42 years later. Can any of you Husky folks make the same claim for any orange saw or any other make for that matter. I couldnt resist throwing that one in.
Here's more info on the Red Lightning, which is 105.7 cc.
John
Author Contra Lightning?
chainsaw-57

Posted: 2001-11-03 07:21
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Guys. I was at my local Stihl dealer the other day and noticed an old Stihl on the bottom shelf of the new saw display. I
have several old saws I take to Steam and Antique Engine Shows and am always on the look-out for different and interesting saws. I talked to the owner of the shop and he told me an older gentleman had brought it in and that it needed the "Drive Chain" replaced in the gearbox. Although the cover was on the saw, I am familar with Drive Chains. I believe my old Poulans have them and I know the Clintons and early Homeltes have Drive Belts. I told Wayne that I have some pretty good sources for parts and that I would see if I could locate one. The saw has been at the dealer for 6 months already, and Wayne told me he really does not see them having time to go over the saw and work on it. Well most Stihl dealers I called, from an Old and Obsolete Parts list, asked what pitch and how many drive links and I told them that I didn't need the cutting chain. A few knew what I needed, but were unable to help. So I am asking you guys, does anybody know where I can get a drive chain for a Contra?,type 1109, motor 900861? Even used may be OK as I am not sure if this saw will see much hard use or be more of conversation piece. John, I quess that I am not sure exactly what the saw model is, as the top cover was missing most of the writing, that is why I included the only numbers that we could find on the saw. Thanks, Larry

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Timber Tramp

Posted: 2001-11-03 07:46
Hi Larry, I didnt know that the Contra was available in a gear drive model. Since the Contra or Red Lightning that I know shares alot of the same parts as the 090, 070 and 090G, I checked the parts list for the gear head of the 090G and saw that it is driven by gears and not a chain, and I couldnt find the # that you stated in any manuals. The Contra is in the 1106 series as is the Contra S, 070, 090 and 090G. The 1108 series includes the Stihl 08 and 08S which is still made today in Brazil,however, I cant find any reference to the 1109 series.
You have me interested now, I think I saw one before. Does it have a squarish shape to it?
John

Timber Tramp

Posted: 2001-11-03 08:02
Hi Larry, here's a link to a Stihl Contra, Red Rage or Red Lightning as it was known. I sold this saw last year and it ran like a dream.
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1426327&a=11263701

Timber Tramp

Posted: 2001-11-14 16:58
Hi Larry, is this what your saw looks like? I found this one today at a repair shop. Serial # 536652. It's a Stihl 07S
John
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1426327&a=13991221

chainsaw-57

Posted: 2001-11-16 05:22
Hi John. The saw at the shop is different from your picture. I am going to try to talk the shop owner into letting me borrow it for awhile. Maybe I can figure out how to send you a picture. Thank you for your continuing interest.
Larry

chainsaw-57

Posted: 2001-11-17 05:11
Hey John, the mystery Stihl is in my workshop!! The top cover, red plastic, looks like a turtle shell with a raised aluminum center, for air to get to the round air filter. Plastic part is # 9 1106 656 2510. Appears to have a tilottson HL carb and definetly a chain that connects the crankshaft to the driveshaft. Larry

Timber Tramp

Posted: 2001-11-21 08:10
Hi Larry, Yes indeed, you are looking at a Stihl Contra Lightning GS, which is a gear drive model. I found reference to it in a book commemorating Stihls 75th aniversery. Truly a fantastic find. The Contra is the worlds most revolutionary saw and chartered freight planes couldnt get enough overseas as the demand was so huge. Only 2 years after the introduction of the Contra in 1959, Stihl had manufactured their 200,000th unit of the Lightning. North America is still Stihl's most important market today. Stihl technicians were sent all over the world with the Contra to demonstrate this saw to very eager crowds.
I bought a direct drive lightning last week and have it running now. Most of the mechanical parts are still available from stihl, since it is just a forerunner to the 070 and 090
John

090parts

hello bar burner,
Enclosed is a photo of starter cover, handle, and spikes for a early 090 I think they may work on your on your stihl contra lightning, send me a e-mail if you think they might work.

Ken Dunn [email protected]
530-589-2744

reduction chain stihl 1109

Hi
I am still looking for the for the reduction chain in an 1109. This saw is not a gear or direct drive, but has what appears to be a 3/8 x 5/16 roller chain, approximately 18" long, connecting the crankshaft to the drive sprocket shaft. I have contacted Stihl and they have not gotten back to me yet. I do the Steam and Antique Engine shows in my area, Cleveland ,OH and show my old saws. I show only saws that are ready to go to work. This saw appears in my second edition Intertec repair manual. Would really like to put it back together, any help would be appreciated. So many saws, so little time. :cool: Larry

P.S. I have contacted all the roller chain manufactures and Ametric actually carried this chain, but have now declared it obsolete and discontinued production. The person I spoke with at U.S. headquarters was unable to give me a lead to anybody that might have some old stock. If Stihl gives me a part number I will post it. Thanks,Larry

Last edited:
Hi There, here's a fuel cap off the Red Lightning. I wish Larry would tell us what saw that is he has, I dont know what the big secret is. I just may have parts.
John

I got a new recoil for my Contra Lightning today put it on pulled the cord 5 times and it came to life , This thing has not been run for at least 5 years . Now I'll tell ya here is a saw that could use a Comp. release the thing kicked back a couple of times and liked to have pulled my fingers rite out of their knuckles! I set te timmimg back a tad bit and it is better now . Anyway can anyone tell me if there is a way of finding out if i have a contra or a contra S other than pulling off the jug and measuring the piston , The top cover says contra GS but it is not a gear drive model ?

Hi Larry, I found out yesterday that the Contra was for U.S distribution and the Lightning was for Canada, although both the same saw at 106 cc. and basically an 070, the GS or Super was 137cc as is the 090. The 070 has 3 clutch shoes while the 090 has 5, so this may be the distinguishing factor between the Contra and the GS. I have a new 090 with 59" bar that may interest you.
John

Back