Stihl cross reference

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BDCulver

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
does anyone know if there is a cross reference for 031AV and new stihl parts. I understand the ms310 or the 290 are supposed to be replacements for the 031 and 032. I just wonder if anyone has tried using one of those cylinders to repair their saw since they come in 44mm to 49mm. Thanks

Model T and the current F150 are both made by Ford, and yet not a lot of parts interchangeability...

Apart from bar nuts and a few tiddlywinks bits like that, you won’t find 031 and 290/310 parts being interchangeable.

I just find it hard to believe as cheap as manufacturers are they only used parts in 3 models and that’s it and stopped making parts. Especially something like cylinders, pistons, coils, and flywheels. When there are so many pieces of equipment made each year.

I understand the saw is old. That isn’t the point. Most manufacturers use some of the same parts in different products and in some cases they use 3rd party vendors who sell the same product to other manufacturers. These are all cost saving measures used since the depression in manufacturing. I keep seeing cylinders on eBay that look a whole lot like the one on my saw which is an 031av and they claim the cylinder is for a ms310,290,029,034 and others and the size ranges from 44mm to 49mm. I know the 031 you had some made with a 44mm and a 45mm cylinder. I don’t want to sacrifice my running saw to take measurements to see what all the size difference is. I have the opportunity to purchase a few of these 031’s for 20 a pop each has an issue with coils and one has the added issue of a bad cylinder. I am going to get them regardless I just hate to use used parts fixing anything other than body work due to the wear factor.

Back