Stihl Dealers Negotiate? Times Have Changed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StihlRockin'

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I read in a post where some people talked the price down on their new Stihls they bought. I saw it a few times else where someone said that. I guess I'm living in the past still, because it was several years ago a Stihl dealer told me, "We don't set our prices, the company does that."

That was what I heard when I asked about prices changing. About that same time I was under the impression that their prices are not negotiable.(keep in mind I'm talking several years ago)

Am I understanding it correctly that Stihl dealers have some flexibility in their prices? I sort of feel ridiculous asking this because I'm the king of negotiating. LOL! I got it in my mind their prices are written in stone, therefore never bickered on a new Stihl before. I don't know why I have to ask this. I get most of my saw used anyway. LOL! Maybe it'll give me some courage if I hear some of you got a deal lower than the sticker price? !!

The saw in question recently was a Stihl MS 441. Two weeks ago I got a quote for $769.99 for a plain one with a 20" bar. Comparing what I heard here, that's the highest I've heard yet. LOL!

Thanks,

StihlRockin'

You've been fed BS. Dealer prices are MSRP. The "S" is "suggested". However, many dealers won't negotiate, and, if they do... margins suck.

Last edited:
Each dealer set's their own pricing. The prices most are quoting people are sujjested MSRP. If they hold to that price they will make some money if they come off of the MSRP they won't make as much. Since their is not a lot of margin in selling 2-cycle equipment, most of the one's that want to stay in business don't budge.
If you are able to get a better price from any dealer on any brand then good for you. But it is not always the case.

My new ms460 was $819. Cash in hand dealer would not budge and I am a good wheeler an dealer. He did upgrade to 28 b/c and threw in bar oil ,hp synthetic mix and a hat . :)

The place where I got the 441 quoted a price. It wasn't smok'n, but fair. Went in to get the saw and he dropped the number by $25.00, threw in a couple of extra chains, gave me a nice discount on some bar oil, threw in some mix and a case.

I have since bought quite a few parts for my older saws, many gallons of bar oil, and a case of Stihl Ultra mix from him.

Out here.. Pro (repeat) customers usually get a discount...

Extra chains are easy discounts. The dealers have a better margin in these.

Last edited:
I was fed the same BS you were when I first started looking at Stihl's Then I found a dealer that understands if they tweak you for every penny you will not be back. Now when I come in they do not even look at the MSRP sticker, they check their computer to see what they paid then give me a price and I give them a sale. Look around talk to some folks in your area, Hopefully you will find someone that will work with ya espically if you are considering a high priced pro saw

Unfortunately my local Stihl dealer crazy glues himself to his prices, even though I have purchased other types of lawn care equipment from him-like a 48" Scag. Guess he thinks he got some of my money, so why "deal" with him. You'd think after laying down that amount of cash, I'd at least get a hat/sticker/T shirt/whatever. Not :confused: .

Extra chains are easy discounts. The dealers have a better margin in these.

You got that right, 100% markup?, what a scam, I love the "buy one chain for regular (ripoff) price and get the second one 1/2 price (fair price with a profit)". The last time I got a chain, 28" 3/8 skip, for my 2171, the guy actually told me he was giving me a deal at $37 before the 13% or so tax. So over $40 for one skip chain. The owner, who had been ignoring me while trying to sell a woman a riding mower piped up and mouthed off something like "It will take you forever to get your money back" when I said I should get a spinner and braker and make my own chains. I think I will, I have made up chains before, its been a while.

Another dealer I go to couldn't be nicer, the guy told me the 372 and the 575 cut the same but one is heavier, I like that honesty from people. Don't BS pros, it'll ruin your reputation when they find out.

1 saw no way . 2 or 3 saws then $ 100 off on each. They know they wont be seeing you again anytime soon & they like to eat too.

Unfortunately my local Stihl dealer crazy glues himself to his prices, even though I have purchased other types of lawn care equipment from him-like a 48" Scag. Guess he thinks he got some of my money, so why "deal" with him. You'd think after laying down that amount of cash, I'd at least get a hat/sticker/T shirt/whatever. Not :confused: .

Wow, the good Stihl/Husky dealer I am talking about gave us toques, calenders, and my groundsman a Husky knife (I turned the one offered to me down cause its made in China) when we stopped by at Christmas. And we just work for a company! We get the company discount if we buy stuff there for ourselves also. And all the Stihl candy we want. So, we recomend them when we are asked about saws and things by homeowners types, of course.

Nothing off on the saw. 1/2 off extra loop of RSC, Free gal. winter grade bar oil, free 6 pack of Stihl Ultra 2.6 oz, two 13/64 files and free case that was a promo from Stihl.

Matt

I'll bemoan the subject again.....nothing like having a good dealer to deal with. I'm not looking for a handout, but make the effort. The infamous "What do you want" is the norm around me:dizzy: , whatever happened to "Hello, what can I do for you today?"

my local dealer wanted to knock like 10 bucks off on the pro saws after trying to talk them down. i told them to keep them.

a margin the sucks is better than no margin. :buttkick:

my local dealer wanted to knock like 10 bucks off on the pro saws after trying to talk them down. i told them to keep them.

a margin the sucks is better than no margin. :buttkick:

Wrong, a sale with no margin is not a sale, its a waste of time. Fact is the dealer gets one shot to make a few bucks on the saw you buy. You get to go out and make money with it over and over and over. I've never met a pro tree service offer discounts on their work, I've never seen a firewood seller offer discounts on the wood he sells. So my freind a margin that sucks is just that, it sucks. Thats why its the dealers choice to wheel and deal, not the customers. He'll decide whether he will smell your azz or kiss it. What you say really doesn't matter.

Last edited:
I went to the Cash home center here that sells Stihl chainsaws and other equipment and no budge on price.

At the guy out in the country (Beaver brook saw shop 8 miles out of town) and I was looking at the saws and talking with the guy that owns the place and he told me if I was interested in one he could "work on the price" for me.
And they were already lower than Cash home center.

The saw shop has been there about 20+ years so I intend to give him my business. He is smart in handling me the way he did because I am a very loyal customer when I find a place that I like. Not only has he sold me on a new saw from him, I will purchase all my other equipment from him.

When I bought my MS290 new last year the dealer matched the price of a shop's ad across town, and threw in a spare chain, file, and hat. It wasnt a big savings, but the effort meant as much as anything. When I bought my 441 at a different shop, I didnt even argue on price, because after shopping around I felt their price was fair. Plus, they were the only shop around with a 70cc Stihl in stock. I dont regret buying from them because I took the 441 back to see if they would check it out, (mainly I wanted it tached), which they did for free. The owner said "I will adjust or tach any Stihl saw you bring in whether I sold it to you or not". I think that guy wants my business, and he got it!

Latest posts

Back