Stihl Discounts or Sales

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oaktreeguy

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Does Stihl ever run promotions? Do any dealers haggle off retail price listen online?

It looks like there was a "Dealer days" in 2016 but may have just been specific items on sale.

I'm looking at a new (fairly large) saw this spring and wondering if I should wait at all, and/of I should expect the dealer to offer any wiggle room. Since most dealers sell Deere or etc. and usually have wiggle room on those brands.

Thanks

Does Stihl ever run promotions? Do any dealers haggle off retail price listen online?

It looks like there was a "Dealer days" in 2016 but may have just been specific items on sale.

I'm looking at a new (fairly large) saw this spring and wondering if I should wait at all, and/of I should expect the dealer to offer any wiggle room. Since most dealers sell Deere or etc. and usually have wiggle room on those brands.

Thanks

The winter warm up AKA dealer days are on now here in Ontario and some of the pro saws are on sale but the best way to get a good deal is to build a relationship with your dealer. Most dealers are hoping you will stay for the long haul, buying chains, oil, mix etc from them. ( higher profit in those consumables ) If you are patient just tell your dealer that you want commit to buying say a 441,461 or 661 the NEXT time he or she puts in their saw order.. that way there is no extra charges for freight.

I've never seen any of the pro saws go on sale...just the 170 and 250. It probably depends on your distributor. But I wouldn't be holding my breath for the price to drop on a big saw...buy it when the timing is good for you.

It can be hit & miss when it comes to getting discounted prices. If you ask for a discounted price, some dealers will act down right offended.

Others will act like it's no big deal to cut you a good price. Myself, I've yet to pay MSRP or DSRP. If I get turned down, I move on to another store that sells Stihl. I have better luck with dealers such as hardware stores or equipment rental / sales stores.

As I've mentioned in the past, there are plenty of credit card companies offering cash back incentives if you use their card. That's the best way to go sometimes, as their discounts will beat ANY dealer's offers. Offers like $250.00 credit on a purchase of $1K or more. For purchases $500.00 or more, you can usually get $100-150 credit. And, I still ask for a discounted price from the store to boot.

Bottom line is this. Not all dealers behave the same way. Only way you can find out for sure, is to ask.

Here it's a very "local" thing.
Starting in 2015 Stihl has had yearly promotions in most European countries on their homeowner saws up to the MS271/291. These promotions are well advertised on the various national Stihl websites.

Starting last year they started allowing some dealers to offer large discounts (by Stihl standards of course) on professional grade equipment. I have no idea how these dealers are picked by Stihl, but all those I know of have been carrying their stuff for at least a couple of decades. Note that not all pro-grade equipment is covered: just to give an example when I picked my MS362 late last year it was covered by said "promotion", as was the MS441, but not the MS461.
These deals are not advertised but they do exist: all I can tell you is I picked a second generation 362 for the price of an Echo CS620. I have the invoice to prove it.

Keep in mind the dealer has limited wiggle room on wholegoods. I really think most end users would be appalled at the potential for profit on wholegoods. After their purchase of the product, shipping, setup (including fuel, oil, and labor) and they might break even on some saws. Some saws they might actually make a little money (which is what they are in business for). So unless the sale is sanctioned by the manufacturer they are limited by their costs (unless they underestimate their true costs). I bet most end users would quit their jobs if they made the cost/profit ratio that business owners make (especially power equipment dealers). Just some food for thought.

Yeah a good friend of mine used to own a stihlership. The profit margin is so narrow they don't have much wiggle room on saws themselves. Consumables a little more, but no way in hell I'd want to run one trying to make money.

The winter warm up AKA dealer days are on now here in Ontario and some of the pro saws are on sale but the best way to get a good deal is to build a relationship with your dealer. Most dealers are hoping you will stay for the long haul, buying chains, oil, mix etc from them. ( higher profit in those consumables ) If you are patient just tell your dealer that you want commit to buying say a 441,461 or 661 the NEXT time he or she puts in their saw order.. that way there is no extra charges for freight.
Yep. Buy enough parts for front line saw and build projects they know me by name. All are pretty knowledgeable about saws but one Guru who had been service tech for years is amazing. When I buy a saw get treated right.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

I've never seen any of the pro saws go on sale...just the 170 and 250. It probably depends on your distributor. But I wouldn't be holding my breath for the price to drop on a big saw...buy it when the timing is good for you.

261 old and refresh, ms461 and 441 were all on a sale of sorts. $ 50- $100 off. If you want to buy a chainsaw in this area you have very few choices so the market dictates the price. It also helps that tree companies are tough on equipment so of those saws that are retired most are dropped. crushed or run over.

Back