• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Want to Sell Stihl FG2 parts!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess I don't get the hype of square filling. Seems like a pita to me. We don't cut much soft wood around here other that poplar or cottonwood. That's only to get it out of the way I just drop it and leave it nobody wants it. We have dutch elm disease and emerald ash bore so there's no shortage of those dead trees to cut they're everywhere all dead. Just maple cherry and birch left now. They say there's some fungus killing maples now to. Oak is scarce but they're usually the biggest we have around here I think most predate the big fire that burned the pine all out in the 1880s.

So I've only recently started sharpening chains so what's the benefit to square sharpening

Just trying to get a feel if there might be a market for these.
5b562ddfd31e2eaf1b9503dd03277174.jpg

0ddff782e98223803a93efc6c12a21d8.jpg
Yes I would be in for a set of these and if someone can figure out if you could square file with a modified pair I be up to buying them to.
Paul

I see I use stihl rs chain sharpened at 30 and 10 with a 13/64 file and .030 raker and I can beat my uncle by 3 or 4 seconds in 20" ash both 562xp he uses husky chain sharpened with electric grinder. I thought that was pretty good. Got him stirred up anyway. Maybe I really need to figure this out just to mess with him. He has to have the latest greatest and fastest. He had to get his 576xp and put the 20" off the 562xp to beat me and it wasn't by much.

There have been FG2's set up to square file, but it does take extensive modification to allow this to happen.

And square will last a good deal of time cutting farwood. Plenty of people on here who use square only.

I'm thinking of heading the other way. I'm thinking about running carbide chain. Less sharpening. Ironically I wouldn't be able to use my fg2.

Latest posts

Back