Stihl forestry helmet - replacement parts

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fields_mj

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I haven't had a chance to check with the local dealer yet, but I was wondering if I can get replacement parts for my Stihl helmet and if so, from where? Mine got knocked off the shelf this summer and it landed on the black plastic piece that houses the spring that presses the right ear muff against my ear. Helmet is fine, but now that ear muff doesn't want to seal up on my noggin real well. I'm about half deaf in that ear anyway, so it's important to me to keep what little I have left....

most the parts can be bought at the dealer, I just bought a new harness for mine and it was only line $10. I dont think the muffs are much.

Guys I'm posting up an answer here since it came up in a search and I didn't know where else to put it... 10 years late LOL.

Today I found a cheap and readily available replacement part for the fragile old style Stihl Foresty Helmet System cap-mounted earmuff clips.

Mine have broken twice, and most recently I could not find a stihl replacement at a decent price.
Stihl's part number is 0000-886-0406, good luck.

But... I noticed that Tasco has several models that are much cheaper and come with identical hinges can clips:
Search "tasco cap-mounted ear muff" and you will see a "golden eagle 2951" and "sound star 2551", to name just a few.
(it appears that the model 2551 in black only lacks the stihl logo, but is otherwise the same muff as oem for ~half price)

These are IDENTICAL from the hinge to the cap, with only the muff varying in size shape color logo or noise level etc.

The auction site I visited yesterday had 1 new old stock stihl earmuff set for sale at 39.99, where the golden eagles were $20.31 new with prime, sound stars were $29 ish.
It's very easy to either replace the stihl muffs with these new ones, or you can just remove the plastic mounts, take them apart with a phillips screwdriver, and put back together using your old stihl ear muffs.

I received mine today and can confirm, the clip and hinge is identical side by side, you can't tell them apart.

Cheers!

Guys I'm posting up an answer here since it came up in a search and I didn't know where else to put it... 10 years late LOL.

Today I found a cheap and readily available replacement part for the fragile old style Stihl Foresty Helmet System cap-mounted earmuff clips.

Mine have broken twice, and most recently I could not find a stihl replacement at a decent price.

But... I noticed that Tasco has several models that are much cheaper and come with identical hinges can clips:
Search "tasco cap-mounted ear muff" and you will see a "golden eagle 2951" and "sound star 2551", to name just a few.
(it appears that the model 2551 in black only lacks the stihl logo, but is otherwise the same muff as oem for ~half price)

These are IDENTICAL from the hinge to the cap, with only the muff varying in size shape color logo or noise level etc.

The auction site I visited yesterday had 1 new old stock stihl earmuff set for sale at 39.99, where the golden eagles were $20.31 new with prime, sound stars were $29 ish.
It's very easy to either replace the stihl muffs with these new ones, or you can just remove the plastic mounts, take them apart with a phillips screwdriver, and put back together using your old stihl ear muffs.

I received mine today and can confirm, the clip and hinge is identical side by side, you can't tell them apart.

Cheers!

Cheers!

11 years later for me...this morning part of one of the ear muff caps broke causing the ear muff on that side to be un usable. Thanks to this post about the Tasco muffs I think I have a shot at fixing my Stihl helmet since it seems likely that Tasco is the OEM for the helmet. Judging by the picture you posted of the Tasco 2951 I am wondering if it came with 2 caps. The cap with the tongue/tab and the cap without ? My helmet’s earmuff cap does NOT have the tongue/tab but the helmet does have a slot that might line-up properly for the tongue/tab.

Thanks

The Earmuffs or Ear Defender as they are also known, should be Peltor brand, I am not sure if Peltor are licensing the design out to Tasco but the mounts are all the same.
If you look closely at the actual cup part of the ear muff there should be a plastic pin with a mushroom head that holds the black slider for the height adjustment.
On that pin there will be a flat part that allows disassembly of the slider from the ear cup.
These are available in a multitude of different styles and even hygiene kits are available to refresh the foam and ear pads in order to maintain the sound blocking properties of the ear muffs.
They need to seal properly to block higher frequencies and as they age the plastic that touches your head will harden and lose elasticity thus allowing more sound to penetrate
Peltor are cheap to buy and high quality
https://www.ebay.com/itm/3M-PELTOR-...723105?hash=item28514d7721:g:JmsAAOSwaeFahwAe

The Earmuffs or Ear Defender as they are also known, should be Peltor brand, I am not sure if Peltor are licensing the design out to Tasco but the mounts are all the same.
If you look closely at the actual cup part of the ear muff there should be a plastic pin with a mushroom head that holds the black slider for the height adjustment.
On that pin there will be a flat part that allows disassembly of the slider from the ear cup.
These are available in a multitude of different styles and even hygiene kits are available to refresh the foam and ear pads in order to maintain the sound blocking properties of the ear muffs.
They need to seal properly to block higher frequencies and as they age the plastic that touches your head will harden and lose elasticity thus allowing more sound to penetrate
Peltor are cheap to buy and high quality
https://www.ebay.com/itm/3M-PELTOR-...723105?hash=item28514d7721:g:JmsAAOSwaeFahwAe
Thanks Lorax, the more I look the more likely it seems that there is some standardization on the mounts ..with many brands saying their earmuffs should work on “most helmets”.

Thanks Lorax, the more I look the more likely it seems that there is some standardization on the mounts ..with many brands saying their earmuffs should work on “most helmets”.
The cool thing about the Peltor system is that there are a lot of the microphone equipped models available that can be retrofitted, these will give you the ability to hear sound around you whilst simultaneously blocking out harmful sound levels like the chainsaw.
I use my Peltor Protac and it means someone can talk to me across the yard and I can hear them with the engine running. Nice safety feature to have.
With the engine off its like having a hearing aid turned up to max, I can hear stuff that is inaudible to the naked ear.

Latest posts

Back