Stihl FS90 parts unavailable

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think its not quite a 4 really and not a basic 2 stroke since it has valves on it reducing the rpms as well as the noise. It gets its oil from the gas unlike a normal 4 in a car which obviously you don't mix put mixed fuel in at the pump.

People like how its not as loud I think and it uses less fuel they say but I really don't tend to care about using less fuel since its not that expensive anyways. They also made it so alot of uncertified mechanics cant do all there maintenance and up keep which I hate more than anything else. I also don't like the gas tank fuel lines setup which makes it much harder to replace the fuel lines inside the tank as well as the filter. I am not a huge fan and I have a 4 mix BR550 as well as the FS90R. I am going to sell the blower and go back to using the BR420 and my Redmax and Kawasaki backpacks an echo PB251 handheld.

It doesn't weigh any noticable amount more overall in my opinion other than due to the difference with the engine displacement sizes. The BR550 is over 63 I think but cant remember right now and don't ever need to know that since it doesn't help me knowing it. The BR420 is probably 50-55 I would guess.

The br550 is on its third carb cause the other ones developed a small air leak where the choke pine goes thru the carb. They also cost between 42 and 65 depending on the model and where you are purchasing yours. That's alot of extra costs where as the BR420 is on its original carb and has several times more the amount of work done with it considering I have had the BR550 under 3 yrs and have had the BR420 like a 7 yrs or longer and the previous owner was using it commercially also. They both start up extremely easy tho.

The 4 mix engines have more low end torque compared to the traditional 2 strokes. They will keep chugging while a 2 stroke bogs. Great for heavy mowing or brush cutting applications, but a bit overkill for everyday trimming, IMO.

Well, I have one of the FS90's from the mid 80's. My gas tank developed a leak so I used some JB Weld. The gas cap had problems of breaking. I have used the brush blade and the tiller attachment on mine. The brush blade is a real work horse. I will try some Seal All if the JB doesn't hold up. Thanks

This really ticked me off. I have had a Stihl FS90AV weedeater/brushcutter for about 20 years now. I take care of it and it really doesn't get used a ton so it still starts and runs great. BUT, the white plastic fuel tank developed a crack in it (appears to be a factory defect) and started to leak a couple years ago. I fixed it with heat and JB weld but it doesn't last long. ANyway, I went to my dealer to buy a new tank and they tell me it is NLA. WHat a bunch of garbage. Trash a $400 weedeater for want of a $25 fuel tank. I buy Stihl tools (2 chainsaws, a hedge trimmer, weedeater, Kombitool with pole pruner, etc) cause I know they are durable and I plan to own them for a long time. But this has given me pause to reconsider if I want to continue doing business with a company that does not support its customers. If they aren't going to last anyway I might just as well get the cheap crap. :censored::censored::censored: Totally P.O.ed.
I think they only have to offer parts for 20 years.

Just for the record, there were Stihl models fs80 and fs90 made in the late 1970's thru the 1980's,
and a newer style fs75-fs80-fs85 in the 90's, and the current fs90r in the 2000's.
The older models were Japanese models, and very well made.
I have a fs 96 and cant find any info on it Its in mint shape ,but not running
were they Japanese?

Latest posts

Back