Stihl..how to tell year?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BostonBull

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I couldnt find it in the search I know there is a thread covering this already. How do i tell the year of my Stihl by the serail number? OR is there another way of telling?

Send a email to Stihl, and they will try to help you out. They were not able to help me with my Wood Boss 028 AV though.

That's how I found out too; the Stihl people are very helpful. If the first number is a 1, then it was made in Germany. If the first number is a 2, it was made in the States.

Simonizer said:
Look at the inside of the covers, tell me the first 4 digits.

If you mean the crankcase covers the saw is intact. I have an older 200T and a 038 MAgII that I am wondering years on. If not the CC covers which ones and ill post tomorrow.

He can tell model from that number. He perhaps know how to tell more out of them too.
for ex.
1108 is 08
1128 is 044/046

If Stihl can't or won't help and it was registered any dealer can tell you the first owner by going on-line to Stihl's Eservice system (every dealer was issued a log on recently).

If not, you can get a really good idea by comparing the serial number to the various stihl tech notes and IPLs. The serial numbers are roughly sequential and assigned by manufacturing period, so it doesnt matter if you look up a weedeater or a saw, the serial number will correspond to a date...

Examples:
Tech note on 026 shows that in 31.95 (31st week in 1995) there was a plug put in the cylinder of certain models starting with serial number x32 252 138. The "x" is 1 for Germany, and 2 for the USA. This places 232 xxx xxx about August of 1995.

Tech note for 036 in 11.89, modification starting with serial number X39 108 850.

Tech note 4.85 for the TS350. From serial number X13 927 613. Places 213 xxx xxx saws about April of 1985.

Doesn't take long with a bunch of IPl or tech data (even easier if you have a Stihl CD) to create a table with approximate dates for all serial numbers since the 9 digit form was created.

Reply From Stihl Tech Rep

Mr. Hobby,

We are in receipt of and thank you for your e-mail. Besides
the first digit, which is the plant identifier number, all other numbers are
just random sequences. There is no way to tell the date of manufacture of
the unit except by registration and production records. If you will provide
me with the serial number, I will research it and tell you when the chainsaw
was manufactured. Anyone can contact us for this information, and that would be the only way to find it.

Thank you again for your e-mail.

Best regards,
Wayne Lemmond
Technical Advisor
Stihl Inc.

Replies:

Wayne replied to me within a day or two and it took him a week or so to copy and send me the owner's/IPL manuel to me, at no charge. He also said that Sthil was in the process of converting all their owners manuels/IPL's into PDF files, so that a person could download them from the StihlUSA site, but didn't know when they would be done. He seems like a nice fellow who will try to help you get what info you need. Hope this helps. Lewis Brander.

Hi,seems someone might be able to date my 038 mag,serial no 118323952
Anyone able to give me a year of manufacture please?

Regards
Neil
:chainsaw: :givebeer:

Mr. Hobby,

We are in receipt of and thank you for your e-mail. Besides
the first digit, which is the plant identifier number, all other numbers are
just random sequences. There is no way to tell the date of manufacture of
the unit except by registration and production records.
If you will provide
me with the serial number, I will research it and tell you when the chainsaw
was manufactured. Anyone can contact us for this information, and that would be the only way to find it.

Thank you again for your e-mail.

Best regards,
Wayne Lemmond
Technical Advisor
Stihl Inc.

Neil, contact Stihl.

Ian

Latest posts

Back