Stihl HT 103 Pole Prunner Oil Leak

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Preston624

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I need help in fixing an oil leak from the bar oil tank on the head. Does anyone know where I can buy a shop manual? Thanks.

Look in the manuals thread. If its not there ask, someones got it. I'll look around my stuff for it. Its really easy to take apart. I think you've got the one with a rubber gasket.
Thanks for the reply. I had already checked the manual thread before I asked for help here. I'm new to the forum so I may have missed it. But, would really appreciate the help in the repair of the leak. Best.

im not seeing a ht103 service manual on stihl tech site
Thank you for checking. I'm pretty handy in mechanical repairs and would like some written info for reference so that I don't mess something up. The nearest Stihl dealer is over 30 miles away. So I hoping to save myself a long drive.

If your handy then all you've got to do is remove the 4 screwdriver the oil reservoir and remove it, then take a picture of it. A rubber gasket goes around the inner mating surface that seals it and when the reservoir is mounted keeps it from leaking. If you can get a ipl that will show you how it goes together. If you can, check out the repairclinic on youtube. They've got an excellent video on how to repair the oil pump and you've got to take it apart to get to the oil pump. That should show you all you need to know about the drive head.

If your handy then all you've got to do is remove the 4 screwdriver the oil reservoir and remove it, then take a picture of it. A rubber gasket goes around the inner mating surface that seals it and when the reservoir is mounted keeps it from leaking. If you can get a ipl that will show you how it goes together. If you can, check out the repairclinic on youtube. They've got an excellent video on how to repair the oil pump and you've got to take it apart to get to the oil pump. That should show you all you need to know about the drive head.
The repair sounds simple enough. I'll watch the repairclinic on youtube and give it a try. Thanks for all of the help.

With the new information in hand I was able to discuss the issue with my Stihl dealer (30+ miles away one way). He believed that it could be the one-way ball check valve that is in the bar oil tank that supplies the oil to the chain could be partially stuck open. He removed the tank and 'tapped' out the old one and pressed in a new valve. He refilled the tank with Stihl silver bottle synthetic bar oil. And, so far it hasn't leaked like before. Today I'm going to do a good amount of 'limbing' so hopefully it will continue to not leak. He suggested that in the future if the symptoms reappear to try to use a thin wire to lightly press in and out on the ball and spring or light air pressure applied to the hole in the face of the valve which is just behind the bar when it's removed to help remove any debris that might be causing the ball not to seat.

Thank you everyone for the help and suggestions. Best, Preston624

Back