Stihl HT-131 Pole Prunner

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1Alpha1

100% USDA Certified Abnormality-Free.
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I bought one about a year or so ago. I tend to call it a pole saw. Anyways, I've used mine now about 7-8 times. We all know how handy it can be to have a chainsaw, but I never had any idea as to how very handy it is to have a pole saw.

We recently purchased a large (12x20x13) storage shed. We had it erected in the rear corner of our lot. A neighbor next to us has a large tree whose branches were extending over and onto our property. I spoke to the neighbor and received the okay to trim them back. The lowest branch was probably about 8' off the ground, and the others, closer to 12' or so.

I went over and within a few minutes, the branches were history. No fuss.....no muss. It was so easy, I was a bit disappointed. I'm used to drama and having to deal with it. None this time.

Another thing great about it, is that the power head doesn't get all oily and dirty like a chainsaw does. The cutting end of it cleans up so quickly. The four-mix engine makes torque like you'd never believe. And, it idles better than ANY OTHER piece of O P E I've ever owned. No need to give it any gas when you start it.

It wasn't cheap when I bought it. It was expensive. But, I got 10% off when I bought it, as the dealer (ACE Hardware) didn't stock it, so they ordered it, paid in full, and give me a price break on it.

I don't use it as often as I would a chainsaw, but that's okay. When I do need it, it's a work saver. Anytime I can stand safely on the ground and remove branches, I'll do so.

So, that's what I think of my Stihl HT-131 pole saw. For those of you thinking about a pole saw, don't think too long. You won't regret one.

ht131.png

I have north of sixty saws in the garage but the only one I have an actual need for is my 75.
e9563a5a40f5def2519f61e986664157.jpg

d3dd59b75cf1ccd17e122ec1a4186d7d.jpg

Well thrashed when I got him in Augast, he works fine for my needs.

Well maybe a piston kit and muffler mod later.[emoji6]

I bought just the sawhead, and pop it on the end of my fs90 when I need it.
The extended reach of the pole saw would be handy every now and again, but for most, my trimmer is long enough.

We have a few heads at work too and put them on FS110 heads. as stated, they do 90% of what extended reach pruning needs to be done. The HT101s we have take care of the rest. One of the 101s spends all its time with our tow behind lift for roadside pruning that needs to done year round.

Didn't you used to be 2123 or something like that that bought with special credit card introductory deals?

It is a pretty good tool. I doubt the slime from a 2 cycle is as nasty as you imply. It still does smell a good deal burning the ultra oil compared to a Honda and most likely a dolmar four cycle. I will know soon whether the Husqvarna battery one is more desirable. A staging on a trailer seems enough so it is rare to need extend the pole. I have to tie my pole down it keeps coming out otherwise.

Attachments

• P1010184.JPG
    P1010184.JPG
    57.8 KB · Views: 17
Didn't you used to be 2123 or something like that that bought with special credit card introductory deals?

It is a pretty good tool. I doubt the slime from a 2 cycle is as nasty as you imply. It still does smell a good deal burning the ultra oil compared to a Honda and most likely a dolmar four cycle. I will know soon whether the Husqvarna battery one is more desirable. A staging on a trailer seems enough so it is rare to need extend the pole. I have to tie my pole down it keeps coming out otherwise.

Yeah, I used to be something like that, but then I had an epiphany. And well, as you know by now, the rest is history. ;)

BTW.......did you hear about the deal I got on a brand-new MS-461R? Sweeter than 5 lbs. of genuine Swiss milk chocolate. :dancing:

I have a KM 130. It was invaluable when we had a really bad storm as it saved me from a ton of bending and reaching. The problem is that it spanks my Husky 435. I haven't been happy with my 435 since using the KM. So much better torque and power.

Oddly in the last couple of weeks I have been selling more and more HT 131's it is the right tool for the right job for most. I have a HT75 that someone pitched and it is also up to most of the tasks I ask of it.

And Dano before that ?

Yeah, I used to be something like that, but then I had an epiphany. And well, as you know by now, the rest is history. ;)

BTW.......did you hear about the deal I got on a brand-new MS-461R? Sweeter than 5 lbs. of genuine Swiss milk chocolate. :dancing:
Well what kind of deal did you get on the ms461-R lol!!!

I bought one about a year or so ago. I tend to call it a pole saw. Anyways, I've used mine now about 7-8 times. We all know how handy it can be to have a chainsaw, but I never had any idea as to how very handy it is to have a pole saw.

We recently purchased a large (12x20x13) storage shed. We had it erected in the rear corner of our lot. A neighbor next to us has a large tree whose branches were extending over and onto our property. I spoke to the neighbor and received the okay to trim them back. The lowest branch was probably about 8' off the ground, and the others, closer to 12' or so.

I went over and within a few minutes, the branches were history. No fuss.....no muss. It was so easy, I was a bit disappointed. I'm used to drama and having to deal with it. None this time.

Another thing great about it, is that the power head doesn't get all oily and dirty like a chainsaw does. The cutting end of it cleans up so quickly. The four-mix engine makes torque like you'd never believe. And, it idles better than ANY OTHER piece of O P E I've ever owned. No need to give it any gas when you start it.

It wasn't cheap when I bought it. It was expensive. But, I got 10% off when I bought it, as the dealer (ACE Hardware) didn't stock it, so they ordered it, paid in full, and give me a price break on it.

I don't use it as often as I would a chainsaw, but that's okay. When I do need it, it's a work saver. Anytime I can stand safely on the ground and remove branches, I'll do so.

So, that's what I think of my Stihl HT-131 pole saw. For those of you thinking about a pole saw, don't think too long. You won't regret one.

ht131.png
I've worked on several of these but only to make sure they were OK for the pruning season. Most of the time all I had to do was sharpen the chain, adjust tension, and clean the air filter. Very well made and worth every penny. That's MHO.

Well what kind of deal did you get on the ms461-R lol!!!

In a nutshell, after it was all said and done, the final cost on my new MS-461R was under $500.00

That included no sales tax, $100.00 off MSRP, a $250.00 cash back offer from American Express, and money earned from cash back purchase offers from other credit cards I had. :dancing:

I've worked on several of these but only to make sure they were OK for the pruning season. Most of the time all I had to do was sharpen the chain, adjust tension, and clean the air filter. Very well made and worth every penny. That's MHO.

I had heard that they can be a bit delicate, due to the telescoping pole and all that. I pretty much treat mine like it's made of gold. It gets cleaned after each time it's been used, fuel gets drained, and I then start it back up and run it until it dies.

It doesn't get used by anyone else but me. It also gets stored inside my temp. controlled garage / shop, just like all my other Stihl equipment.

It's always all about proper care and maintenance. :rock:

I had heard that they can be a bit delicate, due to the telescoping pole and all that. I pretty much treat mine like it's made of gold. It gets cleaned after each time it's been used, fuel gets drained, and I then start it back up and run it until it dies.

It doesn't get used by anyone else but me. It also gets stored inside my temp. controlled garage / shop, just like all my other Stihl equipment.

It's always all about proper care and maintenance. :rock:
It normally takes two people to re-fasten the pole if the two pieces are completely separated. It's not easy for one person to do it alone. Anything that long has to be a bit complicated, but with two people helping, it's not that bad. An adult and a child can do it.

Based upon your description of how you take care of it, yours will last forever.

It normally takes two people to re-fasten the pole if the two pieces are completely separated. It's not easy for one person to do it alone. Anything that long has to be a bit complicated, but with two people helping, it's not that bad. An adult and a child can do it.

Based upon your description of how you take care of it, yours will last forever.

Truth-be-told, my HT-131 intimidates me just a bit. It's long, heavy, cumbersome, and expensive. Because of all that, I treat it like my very best friend.

If I have my way, it will easily outlast me. :)

Back