Stihl HT 133 already discontinued?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pja440

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I picked up the 2019 Stihl paper catalog and seen the old Ht131 listed but no Ht 133. They still show the ht103. I have read many reviews on the ht133 and there were alot of complains on the shafts and plastic head. Was the stronger motor on the 133 to much for the new design? Wonder if this is temporary why they fix the problems with the ht133 or they did stihl give up on it.

I picked up the 2019 Stihl paper catalog and seen the old Ht131 listed but no Ht 133. They still show the ht103. I have read many reviews on the ht133 and there were alot of complains on the shafts and plastic head. Was the stronger motor on the 133 to much for the new design? Wonder if this is temporary why they fix the problems with the ht133 or they did stihl give up on it.
I bought one because the hex shaped outer shafts looked like a great improvement! I don't think the engine has any more power?
Bad points
1.The thinner chain flys off all day long.
2.The stupid rest-handle under the engine is too tall and it rolls the pruner all over the dam place like crazy when set down.
3.The new designed plastic locks inside that hold it extended and lock work too damn good now and I cant even move the SOB at all!!!!!!!!
4. You cant get a hedge trimmer attachment for the thing! I found out after I bought it!
5. plastic hook don't do **** for pulling.
Good points
1.The longer bar it comes with give you a slight bit more reach.
2. The thinner chain cuts like a SOB!!!!!!
3. the hex shaped outer shafts are stonger!

My brother has one and he has complained about it but I haven't used it, I have the non telescoping ht100 and was thinking about buying the telescoping shafts (301$) to convert mine to the ht101 but since they brought back the old ht131 might get it instead.

I did not go into detail with him but most of his complaint's was with the plastic head, oil leaking due to the plastic is cracked , head clogging up, doesn't like the small chain. He wanted to put the old style head on it it but it won't fit the new shaft design.

I did not go into detail with him but most of his complaint's was with the plastic head, oil leaking due to the plastic is cracked , head clogging up, doesn't like the small chain. He wanted to put the old style head on it it but it won't fit the new shaft design.
Stupid as hell making it so nothing else fits! Might as well be a different brand!

Strange!!! I'm in the UK and have a HT131 andpicked up the 2019 catalogue today when I was in my dealer and the UK catalogue lists the HT133 not the 131. Perhaps we're getting the 133s that you don't want.

What did you find annoying with it ?
Cheap plastic head that breaks easily, the pole extension lock freezes up so you can barely extend it, you can’t run hedge trimmer heads on it, I could not run 16” 3/8 pitch lite bars on it like the old model. I did however like the quality of cuts with the 1/4 pitch chain

all you said and more
Cheap plastic head that breaks easily, the pole extension lock freezes up so you can barely extend it, you can’t run hedge trimmer heads on it, I could not run 16” 3/8 pitch lite bars on it like the old model. I did however like the quality of cuts with the 1/4 pitch chain
All you said plus the 1/4 chain flys off a lot when cutting brush or vines. The extension lock can be modified with a dremel tool just take half of the little locking tabs that hit the tube and cause friction away with the dremel stone. and i did put the bar and chain on from the old model by switching the sprocket.

Wolf, could you elaborate just a little about this new style pruner head on the 133 based on what you have been using it for. I am on a fixed length pole saw kick because I want something lighter than the regular ht pruners. I don't think I want one of those HT 56's because of that engine and the pruner head. Kind of leaning toward the HT 132 but with all the bad info on that new style head I don't know if I want to go this route either. I 'm also leaning toward one of the Echo models because the chainsaw end is more what I like 3/8ths pitch in either .043 or .050. but the Echo engine is lacking in cc's compared to this ht 132.

If I go with Sthil can that 1/4 pitch oddball chain be swapped out for a 3/8th's pitch ??? I have the parts to do it if the older chainsaw heads will interchange with the new stuff.

Anyone happen to know how much one of those 132's cost ?? I haven't been able to get a price off of Stihl's website .

I really don't feel like spending money on a new tool but I am tired of searching for something used or a way to convert what I have into some type of fixed length power pole saw.

Wolf, could you elaborate just a little about this new style pruner head on the 133 based on what you have been using it for. I am on a fixed length pole saw kick because I want something lighter than the regular ht pruners. I don't think I want one of those HT 56's because of that engine and the pruner head. Kind of leaning toward the HT 132 but with all the bad info on that new style head I don't know if I want to go this route either. I 'm also leaning toward one of the Echo models because the chainsaw end is more what I like 3/8ths pitch in either .043 or .050. but the Echo engine is lacking in cc's compared to this ht 132.

If I go with Sthil can that 1/4 pitch oddball chain be swapped out for a 3/8th's pitch ??? I have the parts to do it if the older chainsaw heads will interchange with the new stuff.

Anyone happen to know how much one of those 132's cost ?? I haven't been able to get a price off of Stihl's website .

I really don't feel like spending money on a new tool but I am tired of searching for something used or a way to convert what I have into some type of fixed length power pole saw.
Yes you can put the 3/8 lp bar and sprocket and chain on the new style saw head on the 133. But there is a problem with the poles not closing the damn washers in there jam it up ! And the saw head is plastic now. Look for a used HT 131.

Here's a question for you. What keeps the internal shaft from moving up inside the tube?

I got one that the tree service guy wrung the shaft off right where it goes in the clutch drum.

So, I bought a new shaft . There is a tapered piece that presses together at a fixed point on the shaft at the end of the small tube that the handle clamps in.

But, the shaft will just slide up inside the tube once extended. I don't see what is designed to stop it. I put it together per the exploded view.

They must have left something out of the diagram. Or, I'm just stupid which is entirely possible.

Here's a question for you. What keeps the internal shaft from moving up inside the tube?

I got one that the tree service guy wrung the shaft off right where it goes in the clutch drum.

So, I bought a new shaft . There is a tapered piece that presses together at a fixed point on the shaft at the end of the small tube that the handle clamps in.

But, the shaft will just slide up inside the tube once extended. I don't see what is designed to stop it. I put it together per the exploded view.

They must have left something out of the diagram. Or, I'm just stupid which is entirely possible.
Well does it work right or pull out? Is that what you mean what stops it from pulling all the way out?

Latest posts

Back