Stihl HT 75 Maintenance

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treefarmer

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I hope that Stilltech reads this post.

I have an HT 75 telescoping pruning saw that I use in the pine stand on the treefarm. The owner's manual describes a procedure for lubricating the driveshaft on the HT 70 (non-telescoping), but not the HT 75. This saw is about a year and a half old, as has probably been run for 150-200 hours. Do I need to perform regular maintenance to the shaft, or is imaint. only required on the HT 70 as the owner's manual suggests?

Good little saw, could use a little more power, especially when it's cold or fully extended.

HT75

The shaft is a bear to take apart on the extended trimmer. That is why they do not say to do it. We only use WD 40 on the splines. I have had no problems with shaft lubrication.
As for the power, I think it would cause problems if it was higher. There is alot of lightweight shaft out there. To make it tougher would take a lot more money or add alot more weight. The secret is to keep the chain very sharp and let the saw do the cutting.
I will check my info today at work and ley you know if I find anything different.
As for the cold part, emissions motors are lean to begin with , and then we put all that shaft out there on a small motor. It just has to warm up a bit. Give it half choke until it revs for a few seconds, I find this helps on a cold start.

I agree with stihltech. Used Stihl ht75's for years and never saw a shaft lubed. Saw many torn up, but only from abuse. Cutting too big of a limb with a dull chain can bugger up the splines from the twisting action on the shaft. That, and dropping it on the ground. New shafts run about $300 installed.
If the chain needs tensioning, STOP and SHARPEN IT! You shouldn't ever need to force it through a cut. If you let the sharp chain do the work, this unit will last a loooooong time.

Thanks for the advice guys. I assume to lube the splines I should loosen the cutterhead and slide it off the shaft to expose the splines? Would a heavier oil than WD-40 help to protect the splines from shear forces (say a thin coating of 75W-90)? Just a thought.

I realize this little engine has to overcome a lot of parasitic friction with all that shaft. It's little breathless, but I still think it's a great little saw - definitely beats using a pole pruner, especially with tendonis in the wrist and elbow.

Thanks again.

-Clark

I don't believe the shaft needs much lube. Anything heavier than WD-40 will leave a residue which will get cruddy with dust and dirt. All that crud grinding in the grooves will probably negate any short-term benefits from the lube. I'd probably blow it clean and WD-40 it when it starts getting hard to extend or retract, but no more often than once per year. This is a non-maintenance item, but you can screw with it if you like.

HT75

Be careful! When you take it apart things may go flying and not every stihltech will be able to get it back together correctly. I would not take it apart. No lube problems since they came out. Only twisted shafts due to abuse ( or driven over). I do about three a year. Lube has caused no failures.
Also, HT70 shaft uses bushings, HT75 uses bearings to support the shaft. That is the difference.

Evidently better left untouched

Based on the last two posts, I'm opting to leave it alone. Thanks again guys.

Back