Stihl &Husky model and serial numbers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rubicon

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hi guys. I visited my Stihl and Husky dealers today to see the different saw models they are offering and I have a question regarding model numbers. I read here that Stihl saws with even numbers are pro saws and the ones with odd numbers are homeowner models. Is there any way of determining this on Husky saws? Also, is there a way of determining the year of a Husky and Stihl saw by looking at the serial number?

On Huskys, the plate with serial number is also stamped with the year (and month?) of manufacture, and is located below the bar attachment area, usually.

If you get a Husky catalog, it will be easy to tell the difference between pro and consumer models. The pro models have higher power to weight ratios, within the same size ranges.

Pro saws: 335 XPT, 346XP, 357XP, 362XP,365, 372XP, 395XP, 3120
XP.

55, in between.

359, 350/351 and all others are consumer saws.

If you buy a Husky make sure you get one with the small black plate on it. Only the Swedish made models have them. The same goes for trimmers as well.

XP and White Handles

Pro Huskies have XP in the model number, Pro Stihls used to be the models ending in even numbers, ie; 026,036,044,etc.. Now a more reliable method, according to a trusted Stihl dealer is to check handle color. Pro models, white, everything else, not Pro. Russ

Beware I have heard several rumors that Stihl is changing all their numbers to three digit designations. I guess they are out of numbers.

About Stihl changing numbers, me thinks that they have several models (commercial line) that are famous and well regarded. They also has the lesser homeowners line.

I say they should take the good models and do like the heavy equipment makers and add a letter suffix to denote the new model. example 026B, 066B. "New and improved version of your old favourite"

The homeowner's models should get re-numbered to something more forgettable.

Stihl Model numbers

According to what my distributor told me it has to do with the way they number the saws in Germany. They have always had 3 numbers but the first one was always a zero. For example with the new numbers the 029 will now be the MS290.
Eventually all of the numbers will change. The new model numbers so far have all had tool less fuel and oil caps which are nice.

Back