Stihl Motomix questions.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After rebuilding brother in laws (now ex) MS 310 carb and fuel system for the second time, I researched what the heck? Found his 'mixed gas' can out in rain with now cover on spout. I put several cans of Trufuel next to saw and taped label on saw 'Use Only Trufuel'.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

After rebuilding brother in laws (now ex) MS 310 carb and fuel system for the second time, I researched what the heck? Found his 'mixed gas' can out in rain with now cover on spout. I put several cans of Trufuel next to saw and taped label on saw 'Use Only Trufuel'.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

At $66.99 per gallon:surprised3: I would spend $1,000 a month if I used that ridiculously over priced "handy" fuel. I can buy 5 gallons of expensive VP race fuel for 80 bucks and mix it myself. Or just buy regular pump gas at $2.00 a gallon.

Wow i ran a lawn service for years and the only thing i ever did was run all my two strokes on 40:1 and walmart 2 stroke oil and a little seafoam. I still use my fs 90 trimmer and that was 2009 we i was bought out. I

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I know! How hard can it be to pure in a pre mix bottle of oil in a one gallon can of fuel? vs. $67.00 a gallon for "handy fuel"
From the # guys here that say they bought a saw cheap because it was straight gassed i'd say pretty damn hard. :laugh: I've only bought the canned gas twice and that was to take along to a GTG because i didn't need much.

From the # guys here that say they bought a saw cheap because it was straight gassed i'd say pretty damn hard. :laugh: I've only bought the canned gas twice and that was to take along to a GTG because i didn't need much.

Well it may have it's uses with people that have a yard the size of a postage stamp and a quart will last them the whole season in there weed eater. Saves the need for a gas can.

The VP stuff can be had for around 7$ at Napa around here. So for anyone who runs periodically its not a bad idea, perticularly if you are leaving it sit in the saw for periods. I'll run in it in things like my line trimmer where I only use a about three tanks fuel max during the summer. Or in my saw if I know I'm not cutting much more for a bit, especially ones parts are getting hard to get. I mean I probably cut 25 cords this year, but it is usually is short fast a furious sessions with luls in between. All between late summer to late spring. Very little cutting in the summer. I do like the idea of buying a 5 gal of race gas though, especially for the saws I have modded.

I’d like to know if you could buy the gas that Stihl uses in their Motomix in quantity without the oil and all the “bad and ugly” stuff in the chart I posted earlier. That’s probably the reason it costs so much.

I’d like to know if you could buy the gas that Stihl uses in their Motomix in quantity without the oil and all the “bad and ugly” stuff in the chart I posted earlier. That’s probably the reason it costs so much.
Check your local motorcycle shop, Summit Racing, for race fuel. Or a small local airport for AV gas.
VP offers about 50 different performance fuels to chose from with many options for octane and with and without ethanol. You can buy it in bulk if you wish. VP U4.4 works great but there are plenty more options for small engines.
Summit
https://www.summitracing.com/search...content=VP+Racing&utm_campaign=Brands+2+-+FSP

VP direct
https://vpracingfuels.com/

Sunoco
https://www.sunocoracefuels.com/

When I bought my Husqvarna 562xp new in 2015 they had a deal going where if you bought 2 quarts of the Truefuel the saw warranty was doubled so that’s what I did.
Before that I had always used regular 87 gas and whatever brand of 50-1 oil I could get a nice deal on, I have never had any gasoline issues. But since buying the new saw I have switched to premium gasoline in all small engines, it’s most likely just wasted money but I don’t go through a lot of gasoline anyway.

Hi all!
New guy on the forum here.
First, my two cents, what I use in my part time gardening/tree care business:
  • For tools I use for short bits only, I love the premix stuff. Like my blower: I never use it more than a few minutes per job. So a tank always lasts forever. So I use motomix for that. Never a worry.
  • For all the tools I run for long stretches (trimmer, chainsaw, hedge shears..) I mix my own.
  • During my winter break (about a month), I clean out all the gasoline (and use it for my truck) and put a little bit of the motomix in each 2 stroke tool. When I start up again, I re-collect the motomix and fuel them up with a fresh home made mix.
  • My 4 stroke stuff (mower, chipper), I just top up with fresh gas + stabilizer for the winter.
Whenever I can afford, I switch a tool over to a battery version.

That being said: hi all!
I'm new, my name is Thomas and I run a part time business (lawns, hedges, small trees) in Nanaimo on Vancouver Island. Nice to meet you all. Thanks for the many good posts. As my experience grows, I hope to be able to contribute here more often too.
I can climb with ropes, and I very much prefer that to being on a ladder :)

If you looking for a fuel that will store well. here ya go.
Sunoco has been making high quality fuels for all types of motors decades.
I would trust Sunoco, VP or Stihl, to be the best quality fuels on the market. Bar none.
Not sure how Trurfuel stacks up against these brands.

https://www.sunocoracefuels.com/fuel/optima

I don't know if it's still the case but when I checked Truefuel produced Motomix for Stihl (to Stihl's specifications).

Took a new, under warranty Stihl saw to the dealer, had to pay because they said that the problem was the gas. I had a neighbor that bought gas from the same station, took the saw in and they said it was the gas. I was using Stihl oil in the gas, so was he. Have had other saws have gas problems, so I tried the Stihl premix. So far it works really well. Since I only cut firewood for my house and shop, I can handle the price. I expect that there is probably a lot of questionable gas being sold these days. I always bought the non-ethanol mid grade gas. I have bought gas from this station for 35 years with no problems until recently. Their gas works fine in my vehicles.

Latest posts

Back