Stihl MS 170 bogs full throttle

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fhokie

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have read a through some threads on MS 170 carb problems on here but haven't been able to fix my issue. In full disclosure I'm not a very experienced or knowledgeable mechanic. If I know the problem and there is a youtube video I can usually take a part out and put it back and get things to run so bear with me.

My buddy inherited his family property where we hunt. Ailing/aging family member resulted in equipment that has been sitting. There were 5 chainsaws of which i have 3 running and one is a boat anchor. The 5th and newest a Stihl MS 170 had bad fuel in it. Here is the saga of my attempt to get it going.

I dumped fuel out, cleaned carb, added premix can fuel and tried to start. No go, took apart, found trash in intake to carb and fuel line gummy (ethanol prob). Cleaned carb again, bought cheap kit with a carb, oil and fuel lines and filters, air filter and spark plug. Put fuel filter, fuel line and air filter in, cleaned spark arrestor screen and tried again. Would grunt but not run. Put in cheapo carb and seemed to run fine. Started it every day for 2-3 days, ran fine. Cut a few small limbs around yard and then put aside. Couple weeks later picked it up. Hard to start. When it did start it didn't want to run and when running bogs after hitting full throttle. Thought maybe I got some dust on reinstall somehow, added some sea foam in carb. Starting running ok but still bogged on full throttle a couple times. Few days later, took out to use, ran ok for a while, seemed fine then bogged out on full throttle. Brought home, checked that carb and muffler are tightened down.

If you have read this far thank you. I wanted to give the full picture. I have considered replacing the intake gasket behind carb, tank vent and gasket to muffler. Also considered I got what I paid for with the carb. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Go to the beg for manuals thread and ask for a repair manual. I think i got 1 for a 170 when I was working on my dads. I don't think new carbs from Stihl are that bad priced but I was wrong once before.

Take the muffler off and rotate the starter slowly, look at the piston and rings, see if you can see any scoring.
Could be the small "nipple" inside the intake manifold that carries the impulse back to the carb has become gooey and collapsed in much the same way the fuel line did.
Could be air leaks.

Pull the spark plug, squirt some oil (like half a teaspoon) down the plug hole, replace the plug and start the saw up (outside!) if it runs for a bit on wide open throttle, chances are the compression is way down.
If you find the piston is scored or compression is way down, the cheapest and easiest fix is to buy a Farmertec complete MS180 motor and swap it in yourself. Cheap as chips, fixes the problem in one swoop (if indeed that is your problem) ups the CC's just a tiny bit and leaves you with a complete 170 motor to tinker with.

You checked the muffler Screen is clogged or dirty so saw can breath out exhaust just a thought stay safe.

Latest posts

Back