ArboristSite.com Sponsors

Stihl MS 170 Mod Oh Yeah Baby!

Andrew Massey

Andrew Massey

Hi all, I have just fitted a Chinese copy of the Walbro 215 carb to my Ms170. It took a bit of tweaking in the adjustment screws to suit my Australian conditions but the saw is a lot more throttle responsive. It was getting late and I didn’t want to disturb my neighbours by trying it in a piece of solid wood but I’m confident that it’ll be a big improvement. Muffler mod to follow soon
can you please post a link to the carb you bought

Ando81

Ando81

ArboristSite Operative
I haven’t put the saw into a solid piece of wood yet but it sounds much sweeter just revving it without load. Like someone posted earlier, it may be a bit harder to start without having the half choke option like the original carby but I think I can live with it. I hope to use the saw on Saturday so I will be able to share my findings then, stay “tuned”

Ando81

Ando81

ArboristSite Operative
The choke seems to jump off the second notch and goes straight to run. I didn’t take a lot of time to look at it enough but I’m thinking that the choke flap lever is slightly different to original carb and pulls the start lever straight up to run instead of stopping half way. It might need further inspection on the weekend.

Andrew Massey

Andrew Massey

All good mate just trying to get a mental picture of what happens, Sounds like its definitely worth it though! I was looking at the wt215 as my ms170 was bogging down at wot, But pulled the carb apart and cleaned it out and now its all good but is running slightly too rich and no longer pulls the rpms it did and cuts no where as fast so might buy one and throw it on just for the adjustability and tuning benefits!

Called the dealer near me and a genuine wt215 is $112.50, not worth it when I payed $150 for the saw

Ando81

Ando81

ArboristSite Operative
Well after giving my setup a tune I tried it in some very damp greybox and it seemed to bog down a little. I had my 14” tungsten tipped chain so figured that it wasn’t a really practical test for it. I tried it in a piece of very dry ironbark with the tungsten chain and it performed well. I wouldn’t say a huge improvement in power but a small improvement. I actually got the choke to work on the half choke and it started up really well. I’ll try to get to the muffler mod and another tune tomorrow to see if anything changes.