Stihl MS 170 Mod Oh Yeah Baby!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Should come off easily, you'll have to drill holes for H+L screws in the cover but the idle already has one. Nothing hard as I remember. What muff mod did everyone do? I bent the fins open on the cover and drilled it
out underneath.

Sent from my GT-I9210T using Tapatalk

Hi Folks - Hoping someone can help me here... I did the exhaust mod and installed a WT-215 carb on my MS170. It idles great but when I whack the throttle open, it bogs and dies. While the H screw adjust does seem to make a difference in the running of the engine, it does not get rid of the bog. It runs good until warm, so I am guessing that it's a rich bog? Any suggestions?

I saw that plug but couldn't tell if the OEM carb had a complete passage or not. I have not messed with it. What does that do, meter 'draw' on the high speed circuit

To get rid of the bog, you richen (back out/counter clockwise) the Low screw (closet to the cylinder). Not the High.
Generally you back out the low screw until you hear the revs just start dropping, then turn it back in just a hair.

To get rid of the bog, you richen (back out/counter clockwise) the Low screw (closet to the cylinder). Not the High.
Generally you back out the low screw until you hear the revs just start dropping, then turn it back in just a hair.
Did you read anything here or just post based off the original post?

It’s the impulse passage.
Pull the center plug and block the side one with sealant
What kind of sealant did you use to block the side hole? UPDATE: I read I can use “Plumbers sealant”!
Another question though! Do you have to pull that plug on all WT-215 carbs when you put it on the 170? Or are some of them already open there?
Ok, thanks!

Hi all, I have just fitted a Chinese copy of the Walbro 215 carb to my Ms170. It took a bit of tweaking in the adjustment screws to suit my Australian conditions but the saw is a lot more throttle responsive. It was getting late and I didn’t want to disturb my neighbours by trying it in a piece of solid wood but I’m confident that it’ll be a big improvement. Muffler mod to follow soon [emoji1303]

Back