Stihl ms 180 possible mods?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark byam

Reaction score
So I wanna learn to mod my saws n I figure my 180 would make a good expirement. Any recommendations besides taking out the spark arrester n modding muffler. Any suggestions or advice on what to do/not do would b appreciated

I did a little porting on mine. Opened the muffler up, added a Ebay WT215 carb (for adjustability) and took 0.020" off the flywheel key to advance the timing. Using a 7 tooth spur sprocket, 14" bar and a PS chain. I'd put it up against a new MS211 without hesitating lol

Open up the intake side by removing intake insert and bypassing the compensating carb by siliconing the psssage and drilling a 1/16" hole in carb upper snorkle . just open the louvers on the muffler as other wise you dont have enough back pressure and will run lean.
Run a high quality oil at 32:1

I did a little porting on mine. Opened the muffler up, added a Ebay WT215 carb (for adjustability) and took 0.020" off the flywheel key to advance the timing. Using a 7 tooth spur sprocket, 14" bar and a PS chain. I'd put it up against a new MS211 without hesitating lol
I have done many a 170/ 180 mods and wo getting into all the ones that work , I agree on the 211 comparison. Im even running an 18" 211 bar and chain on my 180

So I wanna learn to mod my saws n I figure my 180 would make a good expirement. Any recommendations besides taking out the spark arrester n modding muffler. Any suggestions or advice on what to do/not do would b appreciated
To basically " uncork " the saw makes a big difference ! The only exhaust thing I like to do is to remove the spark arretor screen and open up the exhaust louvers with a straight slot screwdriver.
So the main focus needs to be on the intake side. Rt now lets forget about a replacement carb. We're going to focus on eliminating the compensating sytem that monitors how restricted the air filter is.
So first remove top cover and remove the air filter assembly with the two nuts. Remove the insert from the air intake snorkel , thats not going back in. Look at the top of the carb and you'll see a top cover with snorkle that inserts into the air filter housing. Two things here , you need to plug the snorkle hole with rtv silicone and drill a 1/16 hole just below it in the carb top cover assembly . If you drill the hole horizontally, you'll be away from fuel diaphram. The hole will allow the fuel to richen properly and the silicone will also block the intake vacume. I also like to fill the 1/8" half moon side of the intake snorkel with silicone.
Now reassemble air filter assembly and use a Stihl 3 stage fleece air filter assembly. Install a new NGK plug while your at this point.
The saw should still work fine with a 50:1 mix but I personally prefer a 32:1 mix with these mods as its turning more rpms.
Im still amazed at how much better a 170/180 runs with these mods.
DO NOT REINSTALL THE INTAKE INSERT

Back