Stihl MS 201 TC

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jm carter

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
So I have a Stihl MS 201 TC. When I got it the handle had been replaced in the wires rerun. Everything is put together correctly but nothing happens when you pull the trigger, but when you pull the choke back it acts like the throttle. I checked the little plastic ring that goes between the carburetor in the intake and it's fine no damage. I'm at a loss I have no testing equipment whatsoever. Does anybody have any ideas?

I would also suspect the linkages within the handle. The outside rod is quick to jump out of its hole while assembling.

I would also suspect the linkages within the handle. The short rod is quick to jump out of its hole while assembling.
Ok I'll go back and check. If that's not the case, would it have anything to do with the contacts in the front of the handle by the choke?

Ok, so all the linkages are in place and correct. I reset the mtronic..which I don't think has anything to do with it. The manual shows the contacts looking different. The left contact doesn't seem to touch anything.

Beautiful! Thank you so much. My problem is the contacts for the choke. I'll let you know how it turns out.

I may be missing something here. I usually am. The contacts are for the kill switch. The choke and throttle will have a linkage. If nothing happens when you pull the trigger how did you reset the m tronic? Sorry if I'm reading this wrong.

I may be missing something here. I usually am. The contacts are for the kill switch. The choke and throttle will have a linkage. If nothing happens when you pull the trigger how did you reset the m tronic? Sorry if I'm reading this wrong.
I do have the contacts in wrong, but I was just thinking about that too. The manual said to set choke to ^ crank and let run 90 seconds and then shut off and it's reset. It didn't do anything for my problem tho. The linkages are hooked up to carb correctly, so I don't know why my trigger don't work, because when I pull it, it pulls the throttle on the carb...unless I have wires connected wrong.

I'm sure there are others better versed in this particular model but I would simply observe the operation of the choke and throttle shutters with saw off.
Contacts would be out of the equation for diagnostic purposes.
I'm going to assume something in the mechanical linkages is not correct by your description of symptoms.

Back