Stihl ms 270 starting problems

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

holewad

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Just bought a ms270 to replace my 028 wood boss. The 270 is hard to start! Is there anyone that is familiar with the 270 who can help me get it set up right. My old 028 has perhaps 60 cords of wood on it and still runs strong and starts cold on three pulls. I may have made a mistake buying a new saw!

I've read a lot of reviews on the MS 290 and it seems to be a problem on more than a few of them. I've not looked into the MS 270, but it's very similar in it's fuel system design. I would talk to your Stihl dealer for some help if it's a new saw.

I found my new(er) MS 290 is a bit hard to start after it's been sitting for a week or two. Fuel evap or drainback, dry carb, etc. It usually takes a few (read: 10 or more) pulls to prime it. Once it's been run, it starts easily. If used after a day or two, a couple of pulls and it's running. I've performed a slight muffler mod and tuned it with a tach, it runs great, good power in any position, idles smooth, etc.

My 029 had similar hard starting after sitting also. It, too had slight muffler mods and proper adjustments.

My new MS 210 doesn't exhibit the same starting problems after sitting, it starts on four or five pulls. Perhaps, different carb/fuel system.

If I'm in a real big hurry and don't want the excessive cranking, I simply pull the air cleaner cover and give the carb a shot of mix fuel, with a small plastic (empty mustard squeeze bottle) container, I squirt about a teaspoon full directly into the center of the air filter with the saw standing on the bar tip. Replace the cover and it starts first pull.

Be advised, I do this in a shop environment with caution and a 20lb dry chem near by, not in the dry woods in August!! I don't advocate priming, this is not proper procedure, it's just a "thing" auto techs with 50+ years of experience develop and use successfully. Extreme caution is advised.

I used to have the same problem with my ms390 until I read the manual. (ok, I am not a real man, I RTFM. :msp_unsure: )

It tells you to pull the cord four times or so with the switch in the off position. Then choke it like usual.

Brings the number of pulls down to about ten or there about.

This applies only after long term storage or over a week of using the saw or running it dry.

:rock:

After the saw is in use, it starts great.

Last edited:
Just bought a ms270 to replace my 028 wood boss. The 270 is hard to start! Is there anyone that is familiar with the 270 who can help me get it set up right. My old 028 has perhaps 60 cords of wood on it and still runs strong and starts cold on three pulls. I may have made a mistake buying a new saw!

First off...I don't know what you mean by ..."just bought"...
By that I mean...if it's less than a week from purchase date...
Stihl will give you another saw or let you trade it in for a higher model...
no $$ back return...over a week...yours under warranty.

Not trying to be a wise-ass...but if you're having problems...
just take it back to the dealer you bought it from...to fix it..!!
He should have set it up for you when you bought it...
demonstrated it to you after set-up...and had you start it.

It's the dealers responsibility to have that saw start properly
and run properly for the length of the warranty.
Guys here will help you...but it's a NEW saw and dealers responsibility!!

If I had to make a guess...I'd say the low speed adjustment is not set right

Also congrats on so much good cutting with the 028 wood boss!!!
Ya must be taking good care of her...and her of you!!!
:cheers:
J2F

Last edited:
I have the new MS270. You've got to do as 'Currently' says, and follow the MANUEL's Instructions. Once you get the pattern down, it's no biggie. After you run it a few times it gets easier.

Get a Wal-Mart Poulan, and try starting it without following the manuel, or even useing the manuel.:help:

Just can't resist - sorry

I have the new MS270. You've got to do as 'Currently' says, and follow the MANUEL's Instructions. Once you get the pattern down, it's no biggie. After you run it a few times it gets easier.

Get a Wal-Mart Poulan, and try starting it without following the manuel, or even useing the manuel.:help:

Who is Manuel?

A lot of new saws are set to lean, open the low adjuster up 1/4 turn or so, if the limiter caps won't let you you'll have to pull them. With the low circuit set lean it's hard to pull fuel through to get it started. Also on the high make sure it's 4 stroking some on the high side. You could take it back to your dealer and if he's good(most likely not since you got it set to lean) he'll pull the caps and adjust it right but it's good to learn how to adjust a saw for different temps, fuel and elivation. Steve

thanks

First off...I don't know what you mean by ..."just bought"...
By that I mean...if it's less than a week from purchase date...
Stihl will give you another saw or let you trade it in for a higher model...
no $$ back return...over a week...yours under warranty.

Not trying to be a wise-ass...but if you're having problems...
just take it back to the dealer you bought it from...to fix it..!!
He should have set it up for you when you bought it...
demonstrated it to you after set-up...and had you start it.

It's the dealers responsibility to have that saw start properly
and run properly for the length of the warranty.
Guys here will help you...but it's a NEW saw and dealers responsibility!!

If I had to make a guess...I'd say the low speed adjustment is not set right

Also congrats on so much good cutting with the 028 wood boss!!!
Ya must be taking good care of her...and her of you!!!
J2F
Yes you are right it needed to be richened up a bit on the low speed ajustment. I think the reason my 028 runs so well for so long is I use redline synthetic 2stroke oil at 40 to 1. I haven't even changed the plug in 4 years redline burns so clean. No carbon deposits at all! Plan to do the same with this new ms270!

thanks

A lot of new saws are set to lean, open the low adjuster up 1/4 turn or so, if the limiter caps won't let you you'll have to pull them. With the low circuit set lean it's hard to pull fuel through to get it started. Also on the high make sure it's 4 stroking some on the high side. You could take it back to your dealer and if he's good(most likely not since you got it set to lean) he'll pull the caps and adjust it right but it's good to learn how to adjust a saw for different temps, fuel and elivation. Steve
Thanks you were right. Just needed to be richened up on the low speed adjustment! I was also told by a friend the saw will run better with time.

Yes you are right it needed to be richened up a bit on the low speed ajustment. I think the reason my 028 runs so well for so long is I use redline synthetic 2stroke oil at 40 to 1. I haven't even changed the plug in 4 years redline burns so clean. No carbon deposits at all! Plan to do the same with this new ms270!

SWEET!!!....glad I was able to be of some assistance.

Want to add that I really respect a poster with a question(s)
that replies to advice/suggestions offered to them...
Soo many post question...get "replies"...then not even a thanks

I was also told by a friend the saw will run better with time.
Yes it will...gradually...10 to 20 tanks

Well deserved Rep sent...
J2F

Last edited:
Good going, they run better when they are tuned right. They used to send them out to rich for break in and then adjust leaner. Now you never know what except a lot are set lean from the factory. Steve

Hey guys,

Initially after buying my used (demo) MS 270, she was a bear to start. And frankly I was worried. I read the above thread and began carrying a small flat head screw driver...

Now after prolly adjusting that low idle screw like 4 times, it's starting on the 4th pull consistently. I'll admit I don't know for sure exactly what I'm doing adjusting the carb, but right now she is sweet to start.

Other wise I love my saw, she screams.

:cool2:

I bought a used MS270C. Supposed to be the 'Easy Start" type. I can hardly even pull the starter rope! Is that normal for it to be hard to pull? Pulls easy with plug out.

Back