Stihl MS 310 vs. MS 290

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

51stovebolt

Reaction score
I'm new around here though I have been reading old posts for a few days now. It seems that million dollar question/discussion on this forum is "which saw is best" for each specified type of use. I kind of get the idea that it is similar to the Ford vs. Chevy debate.

I'll not open the whole can of worms, but limit my questioning to the Stihl 310 vs 290. From what I see, the two saws are pretty well identical with the exception of 0.2 HP and $30, as well as standard bar/chain offering. My inclination is to pay an extra $30 for the HP gain and longer bar/more aggressive chain. Certainly I'm no pro, just an homeowner firewood cutter, but the upgrade seems like a no brainer to me, particularly with no additional weight. Have I missed something?

Curious,
Will

The saws are identical in construction with the exception that the 310 has a larger piston and cylinder. The next saw up, the MS390, is also the same but for more displacement.

The choice is yours, not a whole lot of difference between the two. If it were me, I'd get the 290 and muffler mod it.

In

A friends old man just bought a 310 after having a 290 for a few years, I asked him if he liked the 310 better than the 290 jokingly and he answered seriously that it did have a little more grunt he said it didn't bog down as much it pulled better in the wood. I used to have a 310 and sorta miss it, I thought it was a okay saw though I never ran a 290.

I own a 310 then i got on this site, and bought a 361 when the 310 got ran over by a tractor. I loved that 310 but not as much as the 361. Then i won a 372xp, and now that is my favorite saw to cut with do to the power, i like the feel of the stihls in the cut (anti-vibe) better but cut with the 372 because of the power. Between the 290 and the 310 buy the 310. I really like all the saws that i have but consider my 310 the helpers saw now.

If it were me, I'd get the 290 and muffler mod it.

In

I guess I don't follow. If the 310 is the same at the 290 with the exception of a bigger bore (which = more power), why not get the saw with more power?

I have seen the 290 muffler mod referred to several times although I have not actually looked for the details of the modification. If the 290 and 310 are the same, why not just mod the 310 and have even more power?

For that matter, for the sake of more power, you could just forgo the 310 and buy a 441. It all depends on how much is enough. You could save $30 and have 310 power with a muffler modded 290.

Ian

For that matter, for the sake of more power, you could just forgo the 310 and buy a 441. It all depends on how much is enough. You could save $30 and have 310 power with a muffler modded 290.

Ian

Fair enough. Just wanted to make sure there was not a technical reason.

I have a 310 with an 18" bar. It's the first/only saw I've ever owned or used. My BIL gave/loaned it to me until I buy one. I've cut about 20 cords with it so far and have no complaints so I haven't bought one yet and he hasn't asked for it back. As long as the chain is sharp it goes through everything no problem. I do plan on sticking with Stihl when I buy a new saw and upgrading to the 361 but in my humble no comparison to draw from opinion you won't be dissappointed with this saw for homeowner/light commercial firewood use.

I do plan on sticking with Stihl when I buy a new saw and upgrading to the 361

Thats really not much of an upgrade to be honest, that 310 will cut everything the 361 will, your really not getting that much of an upgrade for 200-250 dollar difference. Muff mod the 310 and be happy.:)

Thats really not much of an upgrade to be honest, that 310 will cut everything the 361 will, your really not getting that much of an upgrade for 200-250 dollar difference. Muff mod the 310 and be happy.:)

I definitely plan on trying one before I decide. Some of the guys here make it sound like there is a huge diffrence between the two and they don't even compare but I agree that based on displacement, hp and weight they seem pretty close. I know the 361 is a little lighter, a little more powerful and holds a little more fuel but is that worth another $200? Jury's still out.

The problem lies with "where does it end!!!" For $30 more you get the 310, for $x more you get the 390, for $100 more you get the 361, for $x more you get a 440/441, for $x less you can get a used 460, for $x more you can get a used 660, and for $x more you can get an 088. When does it end?
I bought the 390 because if I was going to carry the weight I wanted all the power I could have. I didn't have it much over two months. I sold it and bought a heavily modded 046.
My rule of thumb, laugh all you want but it makes sense, buy one size larger than you KNOW you need. This means you have a saw powerful enough to easily cut what you want, and have enough power to cut the "big tree" you never saw coming!

Some of the guys here make it sound like there is a huge diffrence between the two and they don't even compare but I agree that based on displacement, hp and weight they seem pretty close. I know the 361 is a little lighter, a little more powerful and holds a little more fuel but is that worth another $200? Jury's still out.

Yeah and most of them haven't ever ran the 290-390's to compare too. Make sure you look at the Dolmars a cheaper alternative that runs strong, 7900 is close to the 361's in price, mine was a bit cheaper. Your talking about a saw that runs stronger than a 460 for the price of a 60cc saw and weight is a tad heavier than the 310.:)

Long story short...I love my 310. I cut 5-6 cords a year and dont earn a living at it...but the 310 runs so smoothly compared to either of my brother's Huskys that I feel bad for them when I am cutting with either of them.....runs quiet and smooth and wont bog down on any reasonably sized log. I use a fairly aggressive 18 inch chain and keep it sharp.....you will probably love any sized Stihl.....have fun shopping.

Wow I cant believe all these posts. You would think its the 290vs361 again. I never would guess it would bring this much discussion 290vs310. I would have to see prices on all the saws and if any were on sale or any freebees thrown in. I know Stihl was giving a free plastic case with 290 not long ago. I would save the money and get the free case over the 310. If your right .2 horsepower? Ill bet you cant tell .2 in your hands,I know I cant.Like Haywood said get the 290 pop a hole in the muffler and enjoy cuttin.:cheers:

The problem lies with "where does it end!!!" For $30 more you get the 310, for $x more you get the 390, for $100 more you get the 361, for $x more you get a 440/441, for $x less you can get a used 460, for $x more you can get a used 660, and for $x more you can get an 088. When does it end?
I bought the 390 because if I was going to carry the weight I wanted all the power I could have. I didn't have it much over two months. I sold it and bought a heavily modded 046.
My rule of thumb, laugh all you want but it makes sense, buy one size larger than you KNOW you need. This means you have a saw powerful enough to easily cut what you want, and have enough power to cut the "big tree" you never saw coming!

:agree2:

Bought plenty of small saws and now shopping larger.

Wow I cant believe all these posts. You would think its the 290vs361 again. I never would guess it would bring this much discussion 290vs310. I would have to see prices on all the saws and if any were on sale or any freebees thrown in. I know Stihl was giving a free plastic case with 290 not long ago. I would save the money and get the free case over the 310. If your right .2 horsepower? Ill bet you cant tell .2 in your hands,I know I cant.Like Haywood said get the 290 pop a hole in the muffler and enjoy cuttin.:cheers:

Where do u "pop a hole in the muffler"? I have a 290

Latest posts

Back