Stihl MS 310 vs. MS 290

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll not open the whole can of worms, but limit my questioning to the Stihl 310 vs 290. From what I see, the two saws are pretty well identical with the exception of 0.2 HP and $30, as well as standard bar/chain offering. My inclination is to pay an extra $30 for the HP gain and longer bar/more aggressive chain. Certainly I'm no pro, just an homeowner firewood cutter, but the upgrade seems like a no brainer to me, particularly with no additional weight. Have I missed something?

Curious,
Will

If you're not going to modify your saws in any way (i.e. you care about warranty coverage), then the 310 makes sense. Hell, for $30 it might make sense, period.

But you can get a bit more out of the 290-310-390 series with a bit of muffler work, as they're pretty choked-down from the factory.

Either of those saws will be happiest with a 18" bar in terms of balance and power, based on my experience. I'd not go any longer than 20" with either saw.

Do a search for "MS290 Muffler Mod"

Lots of threads and you'll have to tune the saw afterwards.

or 310 muffler mod.

i have a few post with pics of my 310 mod. it is a significant difference after the mod. my brother runs a 55 rancher and never really cared to run my saw. now that its opened up, he grabs it everytime he gets a chance.
i do agree that a 7900 is a nice saw for about $150 more than the 310. it weighs about the same, but is in a whole different league in terms of power.

The problem lies with "where does it end!!!" For $30 more you get the 310, for $x more you get the 390, for $100 more you get the 361, for $x more you get a 440/441, for $x less you can get a used 460, for $x more you can get a used 660, and for $x more you can get an 088. When does it end?
I bought the 390 because if I was going to carry the weight I wanted all the power I could have. I didn't have it much over two months. I sold it and bought a heavily modded 046.
My rule of thumb, laugh all you want but it makes sense, buy one size larger than you KNOW you need. This means you have a saw powerful enough to easily cut what you want, and have enough power to cut the "big tree" you never saw coming!

It never ends lol... Never. I keep buying saws because "i don't have one this size" My wife just rolls her eyes and goes back into the house. Dont get me wrong, I use damn near every single one of them at least once a week. Got the little ones for limbing, the beefy ones for felling, even have a bow saw that saves my back a lot of aches and pains for when im bucking (yes it has both of the chain guards and the spikes on it.). I got the whole lower end of the spectrum covered from small Mini-Mac top handles up to the 041AV... Now im just gonna work my way up until I hit 660 and stop there...(or will I).

The jump in power from the 290 to 390 piston and cylinder with a muffler mod was pretty good and worth it. To go from a 290 to a 310 I wouldn't think would be much of a difference.

Edit. It just occurred to me that this is a very old post lol. I wondered y we were talking about new 290s.

I am still on the fence about changing the jug and piston on my 290 to a 390. Seems like a good upgrade for a small cost, but my 7yo 290 is still strong. I want to do it, but apart of me says, 'it is working fine, so leave it alone'.

The jump in power from the 290 to 390 piston and cylinder with a muffler mod was pretty good and worth it. To go from a 290 to a 310 I wouldn't think would be much of a difference.

Edit. It just occurred to me that this is a very old post lol. I wondered y we were talking about new 290s.

since you bumped the thread...

Just ordered a 390 P&C for my 029, I bought the 029 new to have a smaller saw than my 044, the 029 was a big disappointment. The 029 always sits, because the 044 has always been the go to saw. With the 039 cylinder and a muffler mod it might have enough power and be useful.

When I bought the 029 I was looking for something more like my old 028...

since you bumped the thread...

Just ordered a 390 P&C for my 029, I bought the 029 new to have a smaller saw than my 044, the 029 was a big disappointment. The 029 always sits, because the 044 has always been the go to saw. With the 039 cylinder and a muffler mod it might have enough power and be useful.

When I bought the 029 I was looking for something more like my old 028...

I replied to the guy above me who dug this thread up. I dont go looking for old threads. Lol

I will say that with the 039 jug it will run a 20" bar with no issues and wont bog down. It feels a bit better with the weight too. When I got my 028 I was surprised at the power it had. I use my 290/390 and my 028 to do all my wood cutting they make a great pair.

I only rebuilt my 290 because it was scored.

Thats really not much of an upgrade to be honest, that 310 will cut everything the 361 will, your really not getting that much of an upgrade for 200-250 dollar difference. Muff mod the 310 and be happy.:)

I beg to differ there. 310 is rated for 25" (max), 361 for 28" max. I have both saws and the 361 will cut rings around the 310 in both speed and power. But that is just the first easy step up the acquisition addiction.

I wont buy any form of a 360 just because I dont want to stop using the 49mm 290 that I built. I would think they would both handle the same size wood. The 390 has some good torque but as for speed the 390 is slow. I have cut some 18 inch ash and it will cut it no problem even if you lean on it but it's not a real fast cutter. But I cut fire wood so speed is not an issue. A pro saw should perform better.

I have the 290 and the 390 and 362. Yes the 390 and 362 have more power, but I run a 20'' chain on my 290 and that's my fav and go to most of the time. I prefer the 290 because it's easier to handle and control. I will break out the bigger saw when I have really big logs but I still use the 290 most of the time. They all cut at about the same speed. The bigger saws have a wider kerf and produce a lot more chips. All of them are solid saws and all will hold up equally.

Today my MS 361 refused to start easily. Not sure what the problem was, but I was smart enough to bring along my MS 390 (a 310 with a 390 top end). Both were carrying 20" bars. I set the 361 aside and the 390 started on the third pull. So, I completed the cutting job with it. When all through, I picked up the 361 and she started normally.

I shook my head and went back home to get out of the rain. I have found in the past that the 361 is occasionally temperamental in wet, humid weather. That's the way it is. Every saw is different. I have found that a 390 and a 361 have about the same grunt, and both can beat a 290.

I have no issue with the 290 but I have a shiny farmboss with a 390 top end and it was the upgrade I was looking for. With the 20 inch .325 pitch it will cut anything I need it to all day long. It's a thirsty saw though.

I consider the 290 series saws the same as a saw that comes in standard, super, or magnum size. The standard will do but the magnum is going to be better.

If it wasn't a pain in the rear to work on it would be a nice saw to mod.

Look for an MS260, I have one with an 18" bar and it is quite a bit faster cutting than the MS290 I had. I did keep the case from the 290 when I sold it. I picked up the MS260 for $160 and it's been a very good saw.

Look for an MS260, I have one with an 18" bar and it is quite a bit faster cutting than the MS290 I had. I did keep the case from the 290 when I sold it. I picked up the MS260 for $160 and it's been a very good saw.
I noticed that when I bought an 028 AV Super that it was faster than my MS290. So, I sold the 290 and bought another 028 Super. Both the 028's are used and likely 20 years old or more, but they run like bandits. Very good firewood saws in my book and I'm not sure why they were discontinued. Stihl also stopped making the MS280 rather quickly. Price must have had something to do with it.

That's y I run the 028 and 390 together. The 028 will do all the same work but when you need to do some heavier cutting or bucking larger logs the 390 has more torque. I think an 028 super and 038 magnum would make a perfect pair but I'll take what I can get.

Back