Stihl MS 361 review by non-user.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lots of assumptions here, and you never ran the saw? ...but you are running your mouth off about it? Give us a report after you have felled a few trees with one, and cut all day with one. Then I will listen.

No need to run it, I watched it from 10ft away, all day.....I saw everything I needed to.....With that stock muffler it's rather amusing (all the praise it gets here) to be quite frank..... Especially for $600 and needs a muffler mod immediately......It's your money, if it makes ya happy, enjoy!......How's that for mouth? :D :laugh:

Whatcha mean most,LOLOL

Let me be more clear SawTroll. I've found the 5100 to be the black sheep between the 346 and the 361. It doesn't have the blocking power of the 361 or the ease of handling in the thick of limbs like the 346xp. It does not excell as a all purpose saw like the 361 and it sure doesn't excell as a trim saw like the 346xp due to not handling near as well. As much as I like the 5100 I find myself having no need to carry it to the woods anymore when the other two, the 361 and 346 both excell over it in their intended use. I haven't used mine in many months. Thats not to say I don't like the 5100 for I do, its a mean little saw but finding a use for it when 361 and 346 both out perform it in their intended uses makes it hard to take to the woods, its the black sheep of the family. Me being a good father though it will always have a safe home with me whether I use it much or not. It is a fun saw to play with and thats about the fairest way to describe it.

Exactly! :agree2:

3/8x7 with 73LGX and LP - and not dull at all.

The 361 wears 36RSC, which is standard here.

I was just teasing ya about the dull.....lol

Since you always claim money means nothing to you, change it over to .325 and report back. ;)

I got to use a 5100 at a GTG a few weeks back, I thought it was a nice saw for sure and maybe my next but I compared it to my 310 while I was at it. My 310 had more to offer power wise. I have used a 361 quite a bit and it for sure has a bit more than that 310 and it easier to lug around. I would have to say the 361 is in a differnt leauge than the 5100 and it should.:)

I was just teasing ya about the dull.....lol

Since you always claim money means nothing to you, change it over to .325 and report back. ;)

I don't claim exactly that, and I do suspect that it will be a bit faster with .325, and RSC or LP chain - I sure will try the setup from the 346xp on it, but am in no hurry.......:)

FC,

So you hang with wood cutters who aren't AS freaks.

Get to the point,

Joat

Yes, I must admit, I do :dizzy: but hey they drink beer! :cheers:

Oh, he likes to drink beer, so that's why I hang out with him....:laugh:

I didn't say I like to hang out with him. I really don't know the guy but he does drink beer. :laugh:

and your point is? :monkey:

No need to run it, I watched it from 10ft away, all day.....I saw everything I needed to.....With that stock muffler it's rather amusing (all the praise it gets here) to be quite frank..... Especially for $600 and needs a muffler mod immediately......It's your money, if it makes ya happy, enjoy!......How's that for mouth? :D :laugh:

FC,

You're leaking credibility faster than Tommie's ole 372XP leaked it's essential liquids.

You hang out all day with someone with questionable saw skills.

You don't run the saw, not once, all day long.

You don't know or like the guy(s) you spent all day with.

You drink with them, but you're not with them all day because they drink.

FC, I was born at night, but not last night. You trolled us with some make believe fantasy or some vile dream when sleeping off the all day intoxication.

Come clean my friend,

Joat

FC,

You're leaking credibility faster than Tommie's ole 372XP leaked it's essential liquids.

FC, I was born at night, but not last night. You trolled us with some make believe fantasy or some vile dream when sleeping off the all day intoxication.

Come clean my friend,

Joat

Judge Roy Joat Bean shall I go get a rope for that heathen Fastcat and prepare the hanging or would you rather pass the usual sentance of making him sharpen 5000 chains without pay???

Last edited:
Judge Roy Joat Bean shall I go get a rope for that heathen Fastcat and prepare the hanging or would you rather pass the usual sentance of making him sharpen 5000 chains without pay???

get a rope, not you ROPE

Lots of assumptions here, and you never ran the saw? ...but you are running your mouth off about it? Give us a report after you have felled a few trees with one, and cut all day with one. Then I will listen.

I've watched my Dad pop the end of his thumb like a grape while driving nails in a metal roof before and even though I haven't experienced this for myself, I can assure you it hurt like he!! :cry:

FC,

Come clean my friend,

Joat

Joat, you have a wild imagination, I'll give ya that. :laugh:

Answer me this.....Hows come every time someone says they were not that impressed with the 361 it's a lying tall tale?

I really could give a rats arse if ya believe it or not but to reassure you it's no troll.....I spent 5-6 hours cutting on Sun with my buddy, who happened to invite his neighbor, who happened to have a 361, that was NOT as impressive as I expected and we happened to drink a few beers and guess what he never offered the saw to me to run and I never asked......Yep, real hard story to believe but true......:cheers:

Answer me this.....Hows come every time someone says they were not that impressed with the 361 it's a lying tall tale?

I really could give a rats arse if ya believe it or not but to reassure you it's no troll.....I spent 5-6 hours cutting on Sun with my buddy, who happened to invite his neighbor, who happened to have a 361, that was NOT as impressive as I expected and we happened to drink a few beers and guess what he never offered the saw to me to run and I never asked......Yep, real hard story to believe but true......:cheers:

I love it. Some people just can't believe it when the stuff they like doesn't impress everyone.:cheers:

I've watched my Dad pop the end of his thumb like a grape while driving nails in a metal roof before and even though I haven't experienced this for myself, I can assure you it hurt like he!! :cry:

I like this too. Good way of putting it. Sometimes you don't need to experience it.

ha ha, ya I don't get it either.

I think we should have a show like Pinks. Only for chainsaws.

I was gonna use cars as an example earlier...its like some cats that i know. They talk about their honda civics being fast and so on. But hey, friday night at the drag strip tells all. But they still got excuses anyway...lol. They think their car is the only way to go.

Last edited:
I was gonna use cars as an example earlier...its like some cats that i know. They talk about their honda civics being fast and so on. But hey, friday night at the drag strip tells all. But they still got excuses anyway...lol. They think their car is the only way to go.

Yup. OK who want to run'em with me for ownership of saws!!! I got a old beat up $80 038super with a scored piston that still runs pretty good. I'll put it up against a 361 anyday.

Yup. OK who want to run'em with me for ownership of saws!!! I got a old beat up $80 038super with a scored piston that still runs pretty good. I'll put it up against a 361 anyday.

I said that about my 038 a couple weeks ago and everybody acted like i was nuts. But hey, i'd try it...

FC,

You didn't use the 361 and you want to pass some sort of vicarious judgement on the saw. Didn't run the 361, didn't know or like to hang with the others, didn't like to drink with the others. As for me, I wouldn't spend that kinda time in the circumstance you describe. I will say this. Come on down and I'll cut with ya. You can run my 361. I'm not really attached to it, you take 'er home if you wish. FC, I'll send my 361 to you and let you cut with 'er for a month. I'll pay to get it there. You pay to return. Deal? If ya wanna slam the saw, I'd think you'd wanna run it!

Just let me know,

Joat

I love it. Some people just can't believe it when the stuff they like doesn't impress everyone.:cheers:

Matt,

Hold yer horses there fella. I own a 361, but I'm not a 361 fan boy. You know how to search? Search all 64 posts I've made with 361 in it. This thread and several posts didn't pass the smell test.

As always, I appreciate your interest,

Joat

Back