Stihl MS 391 reviews

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gaussnh

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I've been running Stihl's for 20+ years. Usually find used ones to buy but used prices are within $150- 200 of a new one and those that aren't are beat to death. Currently running a 290, 310 and an 041(only when I have to because it beats the hell out of me). I'm looking at a new 391 with a 20" bar because I'm tired of working on the old ones to keep them running. The 391 appears to be Chinese made, therefore I'm concerned about reliability. I saw good reviews on it, and some stinkers. I don't fell much anymore, but I do cut 30-40 cords of hardwood yearly. Any info would be appreciated.

A colleague of mine has had a tree service business for 45+ years and ms390’s are the 20” saws he has always used. I think he has had at least 4 by now. Don’t let this worry you though, they work VERY hard 6 days a week and he is not one to rebuild saws or do anything to them above general maintenance. Not as light as a ‘more pro’ ms362 but probably just as reliable and I think a fair bit cheaper. They won’t excite you I wouldn’t think but they are good solid workhorses. Having said this, I have no idea how the 391 lines up against the 390?

Surely there is an imitation 391 made in china but probably not for sale at a Stihl Dealer. The ms 391 is a tank, plenty of power for a medium saw. When you run one next to an ms 362 however the price difference becomes a non issue, particularly if this is to be a work saw ie it makes you money and is a tax writeoff.

I sold my 391 to a friend and he’s pretty happy with it. Not a bad saw I guess, it was reliable but I wasn’t bringing it to the job very often, was reaching for the 362 more often. Mine had slow sluggish throttle response and I like being able to access the air filter for cleaning without tools.

If it was a decent used saw for a good price, I’d say buy it. Brand new though, I’d spend a bit more and go with the 362.

If you don't want to spend the price of a 362, I wouldn't be afraid to try the 391. Use it 6 months or so under warranty, if u don't like it, sell it and get most your money back, try a 362 or whatever. Around here u can do that with most any stihl chainsaw if you don't make it look like trash. If you find a nice used 1, might get all or more then your money back after using it a while.

I've been running Stihl's for 20+ years. Usually find used ones to buy but used prices are within $150- 200 of a new one and those that aren't are beat to death. Currently running a 290, 310 and an 041(only when I have to because it beats the hell out of me). I'm looking at a new 391 with a 20" bar because I'm tired of working on the old ones to keep them running. The 391 appears to be Chinese made, therefore I'm concerned about reliability. I saw good reviews on it, and some stinkers. I don't fell much anymore, but I do cut 30-40 cords of hardwood yearly. Any info would be appreciated.
I have 2 391’s, I run a 20” bar w/ woodland pro 30RC FULL CHISEL, I trade it out once I’ve run 3 tanks of fuel through it, by that time the bar is screaming hot and in my opinion, a cool down is needed, at this point I think components wear much faster , and a cool saw w/ a sharp chain is ready, you won’t be disappointed ☺️

I have 2 391’s, I run a 20” bar w/ woodland pro 30RC FULL CHISEL, I trade it out once I’ve run 3 tanks of fuel through it, by that time the bar is screaming hot and in my opinion, a cool down is needed, at this point I think components wear much faster , and a cool saw w/ a sharp chain is ready, you won’t be disappointed ☺️
Have you turned the oil flow to maximum?

I do have a 201T top handle for limbing and light work, as the 391 can come w/ fatigue if running for long periods 2 hours plus....... if your under 40 you’d be fine, noticed that once your over that number I had to take breaks, I used to be able to go all day, at least for me anyways

HI YES I GOT A NEW STIHL MS391 25"BAR RS3 SUPER CHIZEL CHAIN AT
PARKROSE HARDWARE VANC WASH.
$709.95 + TAX, $774.00 OUT THE DOOR. ITS A GOOD SAW, GOOD POWER,
STARTS & RUNS GOOD!! CUTTS GOOD!!AND NO ITS NOT MADE IN CHINA!! MINE I GOT IN JUNE 2023 LAST YEAR, IT WAS MADE IN GERMANY!! BUT STIHL HAS NEW STIHL SAWS MADE HERE IN OUR USA. AS WELL. HOPE YOU BUY A 391 YOU WILL LIKE IT!! RETIRED PRO LOGGER!! BE SAFE!! HAVE FUN CUTTIN!! CHAINSAW RICK!! VANC, WASH.

Latest posts

Back