Stihl MS 400 Availability

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fellin Feller

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I read that some folks have bought the 400, but no one in my area (Maryland) has any. Does anyone know when they will be available in my area?

Not available in my area either. Not even listed in the list of saws to buy at Murdocks throughout my region.

I suspect it is not being listed because of all pro (and other) saws being unavailable.

It's only Mtronic, not FI.

Trailsawyer, is that bar 28"? How does it handle it? Does the oil pump out out enough for that bar? I've run 24" on my 362CM and felt the oiler was barely sufficient even when turned up all the way.
Yes, it is a 28" bar, and running skip chain. The saw is my sons, and he has been quite happy with it. He has had it for about a month, cutting mostly Doug Fir, Hemlock, and Alder. I have a 36" fir log out behind my shop, and the oiler seemed to be doing an adequate job when we were making "test cuts". I don't know if there were any changes made to the oiler when the saw was "set up", but I'll ask. I do know that with the "power tune" treatment, it cuts almost as well as my 462, and it's about a pound and a half lighter!

It took me a month for my dealer to get one after he ordered it. I have not used mine too much, yet, but so far, I have been very impressed. I put a Jason Egan Straight Shot muffler cover on it and it is great. I am running a 20-inch bar on it, as I have a 661 for bigger stuff. It is what the 362 should have been at the start. Since getting this saw, my 361 has gone down the road and my 362 is for sale. I know that D and B (?) in Boise, Idaho has had several available. It just depends on your regional suppliers, I guess.

I saw the 400 here in KY at an Ace Hardware that services Stihl a few days ago. It’s tempting as my biggest saw is the 261.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for this information. I did contact a few Ace Hardware stores that do have them in stock.

Not available in my area either. Not even listed in the list of saws to buy at Murdocks throughout my region.

I suspect it is not being listed because of all pro (and other) saws being unavailable.
I was at my Kubota dealer the other day to buy a quick hitch, and they're also a Stihl dealer. They had a 261 sitting on the shelf that I just bought on impulse, because saws have been so hard to come by for the last year or so. Didn't even really need it, as my 260 is still running great. But the fact that it was sitting on the shelf and not pre-sold makes me think that things are starting to get better about product coming down the pipeline.

I would sell my very low hour MS462CM if I could find an MS400CM.
I would too! My 462 sits on the shelf. Great saw but at 53, I find myself using the 261 for as much as I can as because I want to lift as little weight as possible while still getting the job done! And if the 400 runs the way everybody is claiming, and it's 1.5lbs. lighter, I'd be happier to not have to tote that extra pound and a half around.

I would too! My 462 sits on the shelf. Great saw but at 53, I find myself using the 261 for as much as I can as because I want to lift as little weight as possible while still getting the job done! And if the 400 runs the way everybody is claiming, and it's 1.5lbs. lighter, I'd be happier to not have to tote that extra pound and a half around.

A 400 isn't 1.5 pounds lighter than a 462.

A 400 isn't 1.5 pounds lighter than a 462.
I wasn't stating it as fact. I was repeating what I thought I read someone above said. "edited". When I initially pulled up the saw on the Stihl website, it wasn't showing the weight of the 400 when comparing it to the 462. But when I bring it up on it's own without comparing it, I see the weight listed now.

I wasn't stating it as fact. I was repeating what I thought I read someone above said. And it's odd that the Stihl website has the 400 shown on their website, and shows the HP and CC spec, but not the weight. But since you said that it wasn't a pound and a half weight difference, WHAT IS the weight difference?

12.8 for the 400 vs 13.2 for the 462

It's on the stihls website.

Sorry for the confusion on the weight comparison of the 400 to the 462.
The 400 shown in post 4 above was being compared to my 462R...... I weighed both saws on a digital "fish scale"..... not the most accurate?
I think the wrap bar on the 400 is a little lighter than the 462 version, the 462 had a full comp chain, and the tanks probably had a little more fuel in them than the 400.
A stock 400 runs good...... the modified on is VERY impressive!

Back