Stihl MS 441 Won't Start

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stcrioxstihl

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Appealing to those with experience working on 441. While I consider myself mechanically incline for whatever reason this one has me stumped. I purchased the saw, ran fine during test run, and got it home and nothing. Historically I've had good luck buying used.

Couple of notables. I am using purchased premixed fuel. The saw has steady spark. Compression is 122. I have pulled the plug to use starting fluid and fuel is getting into the carb. I cleaned the carb and found no notable debris. I did reinstall a new rubber intake as the old one had been repaired with shoe glue. I noticed the crankcase bolt near the lower right carb for the cylinder base was loose, but it had no change to compression once tightened. I replaced the impulse hose as I noticed a small crack in the line. I checked the gap of the ignition with a playing card for good measure. I ordered a new ignition too, should be here in a week.

I appreciate the help and feel awkward asking as I should be able to figure this one out.

Thanks everyone for the help. I really appreciate the site and the content!

Well. I believe so. The gap is the width of a playing card, there is spark, but I ordered what stihl is calling the ignition, but what I would traditionally call a coil. What am I missing?

What was the outcome with the new ignition coil?
I recently had a similar issue with my 044 and came down to being the coil.
It would crank and run fine one minute and wouldn't the next.

After you crank it is the spark plug wet or dry? If it had an air leak on the intake boot and the cylinder bolts were loose it could be adjusted rich to compensate for extra air.

Latest posts

Back